Thread: Taylor King 101

belleva Guest

Default Taylor King 101

Hello.
    I've been a lurker for years- back years ago when I purchased my first 'grown up' furniture in graduate school I read Duane's helpful notes on gardenweb. I'm now on the hunt again for some upholstered pieces and find myself as overwhelmed as I was back then. Over the next year, I am looking for two sofas (formal living room & den) and several armchairs and a cocktail ottoman. I have been saving for a while. I know this will be a major purchase. Last time, I ended up with a Michael Thomas sofa in our formal living room and I have been pleased with it. Cushions are in great shape (spring-down/ down blend back) and the frame is solid- It is in such great condition I feel guilty buying a new sofa. I would consider re-covering it but I really want a different style. I would even consider them again because I at least know how their product "sits" over time but they don't have anything that fits my vision. So I am starting this research process over.

Basically what I *really* want for the main living room sofa is this: a two over two with a t cushion seat (spring down), box back cushions, 84in long, approx 39 deep--- and here's the kicker detail: with a small Lawson arm (~ 7in wide) and a high kick-pleat skirt (~10in true dressmaker skirt, not 9, not 7 inches and not waterfall)... in a linen or linen blend. I'm okay with COM if need be though I think it would be more cost effective to find a fabric with the line. I would also like for the sofa to have nice pitch. And a normal seat height.

Apparently I am the queen of custom because it seems like almost no one makes this sofa. Several companies come close- Hickory Chair comes close. All but the skirt. They will do 9 inches only. But one thing I really like about HC is the pitch of the back of their sofas in the Silhouettes line. The pitch makes them feel a little less stuffy and traditional and a little more fresh. Also they will do a by the inch length which is nice because I am kind of Goldilocks on the length. I was close to ordering but with the FBI post bankruptcy in flux situation, I am just hesitant. I looked at Hickory White and considered changing my arm to English because I liked their overall tailoring. But I do hate to basically compromise on just about everything... I'd end up with an English arm and a waterfall skirt with Hickory White.

One company has EXACTLY the sofa I envision- great pitch, lovely proportions and appropriate scale for my 1920s house- THIBAUT. Yes, Thibaut. Which is private label to designers (no one in a 100 mile radius that I can find and probably out of my price range if I could find somebody!) Turns out the new version of Southwood makes Thibaut's furniture... (I thought they were kaput?!) My mother had lots of Southwood (circa 1990s) and it was nice. No idea if that is still the case under new ownership.

Frustrated I returned to Duane's forum and saw Taylor King come up again and again so I started researching them and I feel good about their construction and YES they have lots of fabrics... they also have one sofa that looks close to my ideal vision with just some minor modification.

But can somebody give me a 101 on Taylor King? I had never heard of them before reading this forum. The closest dealer is more than an hour away. When I do a dealer search on their webpage it looks like they are carried by smallish (maybe boutique?) shops. I am a couple of hours from Hickory and the Furniture Mart is listed as a dealer so I can travel there though I would prefer to shop more locally. But if I decide to go with TK, I'll have to travel.

Anyway, I'd just love to know a bit more- are they a small company? are they good about honoring their warranty? will they make modifications? (i.e will they add a 10 in skirt to a standard naked leg model and change a 3 cushion to a 2?)

The situation with NC manufacturers makes me sad. So many good folks without jobs. I understand the recession really took a toll and it seems that many in my generation (and the younger ones) really do have a 'buy it for today' kind of mind-set. I want to buy NC and want to support a good company. In turn, I'd like to feel reasonably confident that the company will still exist if I need replacement cushions or some kind of warranty service down the road- is this a realistic expectation?

Thank you!

Default Re: Taylor King 101

Taylor King is owned by the same gentlemen that have Hancock & Moore, Councill, and Jessica Charles, though its run as a 'hands-off' independent operation. They are located just a few miles away from H&M. That's the main reason I like the brand, because I know the build standards are high and issues, should they arise, are dealt with. They operate their own frame plant, so they can do modifications and I have found the line to be solid, with (to date) not the first warranty issue on any of the pieces I have sold. They do not have a wide distribution network of dealers and in my opinion is built to a much higher standard than Hickory Chair.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

belleva Guest

Thank you Duane!

Do most of their frames have some pitch to the back? My current sofa is pretty straight (like if you pushed it against a wall it would sit pretty flush)... it's plenty comfortable. I just like the look of a little pitch since the sofa floats in the room. It would be nice if they showed the side view for their pieces on the website. That would give a good sense of how it would look as I entered the front door and would also show how high the back rail is in relation to the back pillows. (I am looking at their 1315-03 Ravenel.)

I am inclined to give Taylor King a try. I do wish I had a local dealer--- I think it is nice to have a local relationship should issues arise and the Furniture Mart in Hickory seems quite big and intimidating to me. You are not doing long distance orders anymore are you?

Belle

Angles and pitch will vary by style and model across the line as they do with all makers. I try to do four photos of every piece that comes in during decent weather, the front, a 3/4 view, direct from the side, and the back in order to give folks an idea of the pitch and seat angles, as well as what the back looks like if they want to float it in the room. You can find those photos of various items under each heading, though there are not many Taylor King ones. Short of trying them out in person, that's the best you will be able to do. Pay attention so inside dimensions as well. Industry standard is 20" Seat height, 20" seat depth. If you are 5 ' 4" or less, you'll enjoy a 18.5" or 19" seat height much better and avoid inside seat depths deeper than 24" unless you want the sofa primarily to nap on.

Yes, I ship all over the country.
    Duane Collie

Need help or advice!! We just bought a Taylor King sofa at a consignment place. Does anyone know if Taylor King sofas will fit through a standard door? The sofa is wider than our door. Door is 36 inches by 80 inches tall. The sofa seems to be 37.5 and 82 inches long. You would think most people would struggle with this issue when they get the piece home. The legs do not come off the sofa, unfortunately, or that would have solved our dilemma. I'm hoping we can fit it in by angling etc. Any advice??

You should be fine, just remove the cushions and angle the sofa appx 45 Degrees going through the doorway.
    Duane Collie