Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with City Sofa measurement

Default Help with City Sofa measurement

I'm making grommet top draperies with blackout lining as a surprise housewarming gift for my daughter. Her City sofa is placed beneath her living room window in her small 1954-era home. I want to make "stops" to keep the sofa from sliding on the wood floor and "smushing" the draperies when someone sits down.

Assuming a right triangle behind the sofa formed from the feet, the tilt angle of the back and the vertical height from the top back to the floor, what is the length of the base of the triangle? The width of the rear legs will also be helpful so I can make a "U" bracket in the stop to cradle the legs. I need the Forum's help because I'm in NC and she's in VA.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help with City Sofa measurement

You may want to look into the vast number of items on the market to keep furniture from any slippage. There are quite an assortment of products due to the number of Seniors need complete assurance a chair or sofa won't slip out from under them as they sit down or get up. From reading customer feedback, many work quite well and don't need permanently attached to the floor.

Thanks for the reminder. However having removable boards will be easier for her to manage on her own. No way can she lift an end or tilt a sofa to put grippers on or under the feet. She's only 4'11". Also, I have oak boards that match her flooring so the stops will be virtually invisable. I'll make the boards the base distance plus the distance needed so the sofa clears the draperies. The boards will have nonslip material affixed to the bottoms.
    Last edited by juliepooch; 04-03-2014 at 10:01 AM.

This is a Geometry question, right? I did not do well in High School Geometry.....lol

I'd get the sticky cups that go under the legs, too.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    This is a Geometry question, right? I did not do well in High School Geometry.....lol

I'd get the sticky cups that go under the legs, too.
    Yes, it is geometry. If I had two of the three measurements, I could get the third. Remember "Pythagoras' Theorem": a2 + b2 = c2? That formula and the ones for the area and circumference of a circle are the ONLY ones I remember/use.

Actually, all you need to do is place a yardstick or level vertically from the top back of the sofa to the floor. Mark where the yardstick meets the floor. Then measure from that mark to the back of the sofa's leg/foot. That is the measurement I'm looking for.

[QUOTE Actually, all you need to do is place a yardstick or level vertically from the top back of the sofa to the floor. Mark where the yardstick meets the floor. Then measure from that mark to the back of the sofa's leg/foot. That is the measurement I'm looking for. [/QUOTE]

Anyone, pleeeeeeease.

My nearest H&M Dealers are about 30-45 miles away to the North and South respectively ...both had the City Sofa last time I visited each. My feeling is that the City Sofa is one of the lowest cost in the H&M line and as such is often stocked by H&M dealers. If you visit the H&M web site you can find your nearest dealer to see if they happen to have the City Sofa ...if so they may take a minute to get the measurements you seek. Your other choice is to call H&M directly and see if they can just give you the information. If we happen to get anywhere near either of the dealers in my area I will get the measurements.

That is very kind Wisejd. Thank you. Neither of the two stores I contacted within an hour of me, nor H&M itself, could help me as they didn't have one available to measure. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Remember "Pythagoras' Theorem": a2 + b2 = c2?

Ahhhh....no. I have never heard of that. Perhaps I was napping at my desk in school that day. 7th grade is tough, ya know?

On a 9840 City sofa, that dimension you are seeking is exactly 5 inches.

If its the 9844 City, it will be different as its a larger piece.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane. It's the 9844. Do you know if that would be 6" or 7" perhaps?