Thread: Newbie needs help, please!

igisdd Guest

Default Newbie needs help, please!

Husband is a big guy & we decided we wanted reclining furniture for our den. No kids, but we have cats, so I steered hubbie away from leather. We both want Made in US products & thought we found the perfect set for us tonight & ordered leather look-alike microfiber reclining loveseat with console and a separate recliner, in case we had Dad over. I thought Flexsteel was an American product & just read the Woodstock style, among others, is made in China. I am not happy & plan to cancel the order tomorrow.

We want something that will last 8 years or more, but I'm reading the quality is lacking on these. Any ideas? Should we let it go thru & just check the stitching, etc carefully upon delivery, ready to refuse it?

What is a solidly built Made in America non-leather reclining sofa/loveseat brand?

Thank you for any ideas/advice!

PS- I'm at my 92 year old Dad's right now, since he's recovering from a nasty stomach virus, so be gentle with me!

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Newbie needs help, please!

Dear Newbie : If you can cancel that order before it comes thru your door. Last year I ordered a fabric sofa of the make you have on order. When it was delivered, it cost me 25% of total cost of sofa, plus another shipping cost to be returned to ordering store, plus the extra cost of four custom pillows the store insisted be returned with the sofa. This return deal fight went up their chain of command to the CEO of the company. The sofa was JUNK! The frame must have been made of paper, I could pick up one end of the sofa with one hand The fabric I picked out was an old fashion purple velvet, ( [I am 73 ) When delivered Fabric ? on the sofa looked to be a gray brushed polyester. The entire experience left a bad taste. plus empty pockets.

igisdd Guest

Sorry about your experience & thank you for replying!

Do you know if yours was Flexsteel made in China? Can't believe the CEO didn't care enough to make good. Did you wait long after delivery to try to return it? Their company used to have a good reputation- so sad.

Reclining furniture is so specific. Anyone know of a GOOD company that makes it here in the US?

First thought is regarding your cats ...I don't know what others have experienced but we find our grand cats which stay with us each time our daughter's family heads out for vacation time always choose fabric furniture to jump up on and/or sleep on. We had a cat for 19 years and it did the same. Our living room has two H&M leather pieces and two leather chairs of other manufacturers as well as one fabric covered chair ...cats only go for the leather if they are jumping into my lap. I am not saying they never get on the leather, but they typically don't choose those pieces if other furniture is available. The cats do have their claws trimmed regularly and we have detected zero scratches on our leather furniture.

Now with regard to Flexsteel, I have to say that while there is no doubt that it can't compare to Hancock and Moore, they do make some well-functioning furniture that can last for many years. We have two Flexsteel leather & leather match (sides & back) recliners that are now 20 years old and show little sign of wear or miss-function. While looking for a Sofa and Recliner over the past year or so, we did look at several Flexsteel offerings. Bottom line, when we looked at their top-of-the-line leather recliner models (the Montgomery for example) ...they were actually not less expensive than the H&M T&C models. In fact our H&M purchase was $300 less. We also considered their custome-configurable Sofa where you choose all the style effects and the fabric and in the end it was going to be $2,700.00, about $900 less than the H&M Sofa we ultimately purchased. Also, don't know that I would totally rule out something made in China as you could leave yourselves with a slim selection. If you want to buy American for patriotic reasons or Country economic reasons great, but if you are only doing it because of quality concerns, I think you can measure the overall Value-Proposition by other means and quit thinking it is just about the country or origin.

Around here, Hancock & Moore and Bradington Young are the 2 quality furniture manufacturers that are discussed most frequently on this forum when it comes to customers deciding on which furniture to purchase.

You should at least consider an order in leather and simply train your cats to stay off that furniture. All it takes is a spray water bottle and a day or two. Remember, their mothers taught them to use a litter box and they didn't even speak English!

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

HI IGISDD
    I thought I was buying Flexsteel made in USA. I attempted to look it up on internet the day I came home from Cleveland and placed the order. I e-mailed my salesperson that I could not find the model number or a picture like the one I had just ordered. I was told it was too new to be on their website. I accepted that reason. Sofa was delivered , three months after ordering, late on Friday. Delivery men said they do not do returns, I would have to call the store. I did call. Many times. Each time the person I talked to said I had to talk to their supervisor. First department manager, store manager, district manager, on up the food chain. The sofa had no identifier labels, so I have no idea what company made it. That company keeps sending me their ads addressed to their special customer!

Flexsteel logo brand is USA-made.

Flexsteel "LATTITUDES" is made in China.

Any reclining sofa unit is only as good as its mechanism, that's the weak link from any maker. You say your husband is a 'big man'? Leggett & Platt just recently came out with 350 lb test mechanisms that I've already installed in a Hancock & Moore piece for a customer by special request. Before that, 280 LB was the top test rating. If he's over 280 lb, that's what you want in you build.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.