Thread: Bradington-Young mechanized recliner

artman Guest

Default Bradington-Young mechanized recliner

I am considering buying a Bradington-Young recliner "Alta" model number 4104 with a power recliner option. Am I looking for future trouble in getting this feature? I am also considering the "Satchel" model number 3257. The Alta has premium down cushions and the Satchel has HR foam. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for in the different cushions? I would welcome a post off line on pricing.

Default Re: Bradington-Young mechanized recliner

Not at all....I've sold hundreds of power unit recliners without issues. The biggest problem with them is it seems cats like to chew the power cords and that's about it. While a motor can fail, I've never had to replace any except on one unit that was brand new and the motor was DOA out of the box, and that was about 9 years ago. As to cushions, I actually prefer HR Foam myself as down cushions can sometimes break down in the front and you can get 'cushion trap' where it binds into the moving footrest. HR Foam is more resilient to that. Its not a big issue though, get what is most comfortable. B-Y will replace the seat cushion if it ever breaks down at no charge as long as you own the piece, you just have to pay the shipping on it. (this does not apply to their back cushions). Pricing requires more specifics such as leather grade and your location, but most B-Y recliners fall into the $ 1,200 to $ 1,900 range with the power option adding $ 185.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

artman Guest

Thanks for your input, Fearless Leader! I was told there is a third cushion option for the B-Y line and that is a spring/down cushion, a compromise between the premium down and HR foam. Also, told that if at a future time I did not like the premium down one I could order a spring/down insert and simply unzip the cushion and replace it with the new one. Is this right and is there a thickness difference that will be a problem?

Avoid spring down in leather, as well as memory foam and pure goose down/feathers. If you do, you will constantly be fluffing a flattened cushion. Yes, you can replace very easily, as long as they still have the pattern to make the core. All cores for a given model are the same dimensions.
    Duane Collie

kotadawg Guest

DR, In 2011 you said that there were no issues with using a spring down cushion. Have you changed your mind or are you referring to use in a recliner. I prefer the firmer spring down but don't want to select them if they are a problem. I am looking at a sofa and non-reclining chair that use the spring down. Thanks.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hase-Questions

Spring down is NOT firmer, its softer! I prefer standard poly-dac cores in all motion pieces as the are less prone to 'footrest traps' in recliners.
    Duane Collie

kotadawg Guest

Interesting. I sat on numerous BY sofas and the Sheffield, Series 703, was much firmer and more comfortable than the Bosworth, Series 667, and the Carrado, Series 780. The 703 has the down spring while the others have the premier down. I sank much further into the the premier down cushions. They weren't uncomfortable, but didn't feel as supportive. Guess I need to make another trip and try them again. Thanks for your response.

Each piece is going to sit slightly different. Some will have more 'cush' than others.
    Duane Collie

CAmom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Avoid spring down in leather, as well as memory foam and pure goose down/feathers. If you do, you will constantly be fluffing a flattened cushion. Yes, you can replace very easily, as long as they still have the pattern to make the core. All cores for a given model are the same dimensions.
    Do you still feel this way regarding the B-Y Newman seating? Here is what B-Y says on their web site:

"Seat Spring Down-Cushions consist of a 4 1/2 inch MARSHALL coil unit encased in premium foam. The cushion is then wrapped with a low melt fiber on top and bottom. The Spring Down cushion is then surrounded by a down-proof ticking filled with a luxurious blend of down, feathers and fibers. This cushion is designed to provide superior comfort combined with great resiliency.

Seating Construction This style employs sinuous wire springs attached to each frame and covered with synthetic webbing."

There's not a huge difference in Spring Down vs Premier Down seats in B-Y. If I didn't tell you in the showroom, you'd probably not even know the difference. Now HR Foam you can definitely tell as it's firmer. You will pay custom charge for any seat cushion that is not standard in a B-Y piece (even the cheaper HR Foam), so my thoughts are to take what they ship with the piece, they're decent.
    Duane Collie