Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crated delivery

Marjflowers Guest

Default Re: Crated delivery

Once again, a thorough and understanding explanation. Thanks, Duane!

This is just so foreign to me because my dad worked with Mayflower for most working life. For many years, he moved households. I spent a good part of my childhood watching him load the truck (and folding those damned furniture pads!), and so the idea of things shifting in the truck is inconceivable to me. He packed things so tight they wouldn't have moved if the truck was hit by a tornado! Furniture pads didn't slip because if there was any question of them slipping, he taped them (not to the furniture!). Bottom line -- he was very good at his job, and he took pride in doing a good job. Only very rarely was anything damaged, and when it did happen, he was devastated. He really cared -- he realized that when he moved a household, he wasn't just moving stuff -- he was moving a family. He often had people specifically request him because they remembered how much he cared, and how that translated into a job very well done. Several times, he moved Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings. At the time, I thought that was sooooo cool. Actually, I still do.

But back to White Glove service, I know that if I base my expectations on the work my dad did, I'm going to end up disappointed and possibly angry. Knowing what to expect in advance helps tremendously. This detailed explanation of how things work is really helpful.

Speaking of household move experiences, I once moved from NY to Puerto Rico. Everything was put into 40 ft. shipping containers, taken to Jacksonville, Fl. and sent on a large container ship to San Juan. Talk about load shifting and rub damage, this was the ultimate. It all comes down to the skill of the team. Southbound team had minimal experience with packing for ocean shipment. When we made the return trip years later the Puerto Rican crew knew their stuff and there was absolutely zero damage. Of course they often packed containers for ocean trips. Experience matters.
    Last edited by cuse69; 04-24-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Tater Guest

Thank you Duane. You've been open and honest in this matter.

BYUGRL Guest

Drcollie
    Are you the Duane others keep referring to on this forum. I am a newbie to forums and find myself not sure of how to ask questions, ie....what category, who to address etc. my husband and i are interested in the HM Rodeo power recliner. Do you have this model in your showroom? Do you know where we might see one? Can we order these from your store if located in LA? I tried posting in lobby and did not get response so far. HELP PLZ
    BYUGRL

Quote Originally Posted by BYUGRL View Post
    Drcollie
    Are you the Duane others keep referring to on this forum. I am a newbie to forums and find myself not sure of how to ask questions, ie....what category, who to address etc. my husband and i are interested in the HM Rodeo power recliner. Do you have this model in your showroom? Do you know where we might see one? Can we order these from your store if located in LA? I tried posting in lobby and did not get response so far. HELP PLZ
    BYUGRL
    Categories are pretty much self-explanatory here. Yes, I ship nationwide. Responses can take 24 hours, sometimes longer. I get to the forum when i can (note that right now as I answer this its after midnight Eastern Time).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.