Thread: Your opinions/experience with sofa manufacturers

Maribeth Guest

Default Your opinions/experience with sofa manufacturers

I'm just starting the huge task of buying a sofa. I am looking at the mid-high range (I believe). What's your view of the following manufacturers--Bernhardt, Drexel Heritage, Massoud, *********, and Vanguard? Are they all in the same league quality and price-wise? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Maribeth Guest

Default Re: Your opinions/experience with sofa manufacturers

Also, *********.

pvrick Guest

We have had two of the brands you mentioned and frankly they are like disposable furniture. After five years, we had to buy a replacement.
    Suggest you talk to Duane about H and M and check some items in the town and country selections that are very competitively priced.

Rick

SorenK Guest

I bought a Drexel Heritage bed 20 years ago... Heritage line.... four poster, rice carved, very nice. Took them 3 tries to send me one I'd let get off the truck - seems they had a problem with drilling holes in the wrong place and then plugging the hole, and hopping the buyer wouldn't notice. But third time's the charm and it's been a fantastic high end piece for long time now. And I sure hope they remedied that little shop QC issue long ago. H&M is rock solid, but priced out of many buyer's range. I'm looking to get some Braddington Young now which seems like a good mix of quality with a lower price point than HM. Cash is tight, always, but buying cheap usually isn't the best way to save money.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Four years and more than four thousand dollars ago I bought a two piece leather secional from Havertys, for the tv room. This week I had to pay four young men to carry it to a truck to haul off to parts unknown. The frame had broken, the spring assembly was on the floor. I now have an empty room with nothing to sit on in that room but the carpet. MY husband wants to put my CANCELLOR tufted sofa in there, but it was chosen , style and leather choice for a different room . He even wants to shorten the legs.. yes cut them off. One of the best features of Hancock & Moore, it is all too heavy for him to flip upside down. Long story short.. most of the furniture out there ..buyer beware... The Haverty's sofa cost was a thousand dollars a year for use and it should have been dumped three years ago.

During our 18-month search for a Sofa we had visited Haverty's and really liked several Bernhardt Sofas and Sectionals. We had the store give us a quote and then went home to do some online research. We found way too many Customer Feedback stories, some with photos of their purchase's premature demise. We did learn that all Bernhardt products are not created equally, as Haverty's Bernhardt offering are manufactured to Haverty's own specifications for example. In any event, via this Forum we learned to narrow our search to just a few brands. H&M and BY became our primary focus, particularly if we were to select a leather rather than a fabric cover.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

BERNHARDT PRODUCTS SOLD AT HAVERTYS. Several years ago I purchased 48 inch round table with 4 chairs , leather seats and backs, to put in the living room to be used as a game table. These pieces have been used by grandsons for poker, x-box competitions, scrabble, with game boards being shoved all over the table top and chairs scooted ..tilted ..abused, But they are still in perfect condition. I now think this must have been Havertys Bait and switch marketing at that time.

Maribeth Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I advanced in my research and am now looking at Hickory White. Unfortunately, H&M is out of reach for me at the moment. Any opinions are Hickory White?

asaasa3333 Guest

Not sure about Hickory White but a quick comment on Bernhardt vs H&M. If you are taller and want a better seat height (20" or more), Taylor King and H&M seem to be the ones that make those chairs/sofas that sit higher. If you are older, your knees will thank you eventually and if you are younger but taller (5' 10" or more), you will appreciate the comfort on such frames. I found that Bernhardt was quite comfortable as they sat deeper but they don't sit higher - they are all typically 17 or 18" seat height.