Thread: Router, modem, microcell

Marjflowers Guest

Default Router, modem, microcell

I live in an apartment that has a small living room. In one corner is my "island, where I basically live. On one wall is a serving table, and on the perpendicular wall is a bookcase. In the area between, at an angle, are my recliner and end table,with a floor lamp next to the recliner.

I'm in the process of replacing the furniture in this corner -- Hancock and Moore Harbison recliner in Capri Claret, and tables and bookcase in walnut rather than cherry.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	6190Click image for larger version. 

Views:	327 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	6189Click image for larger version. 

Views:	296 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	6188Click image for larger version. 

Views:	285 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	6187Click image for larger version. 

Views:	352 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	6186
    Here's my problem: I also have to have my cable modem, router, microcell, and printer in this area. Right now, I have an incredibly ugly fake-wood printer stand/filing cabinet in the corner between the serving table and the book case. It has got to go! Unfortunately, I'm limited by where the cable outlet is. The printer can go, since I no longer use my laptop. I may someday get a wireless printer to use with my ipad, but it won't have to be in this corner. But I'll still have the cable modem, router, and microcell.

One idea is to get a short "Ralph's Little Table," which is small enough to stick in the corner. But I'm not sure if it will look weird. What do you think, and does anyone have any other ideas?

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Router, modem, microcell

SPACE FOR OFFICE EQUIPMENT: Will only work if you have a double door closet you are hoarding your size 7,8, etc clothes in, beautiful suits you use to wear to work, dresses no one wears anymore, boxes of hats,gloves and scarves you always wore to church. Box it all up, give to a charity.
    This space is perfect for wireless printer with a scanner and fax. laptop, phone and I lined the walls with corkboard. previous years planner on inside of one closet door and current year planner on the other door. The closet shelf that used to hold boxes of sweaters now have drawers for office supplies. Closet rod holds my to do lists on sticky notes. The desk is shelf cut to fit... wall to wall... supported by 1x4 cut to measure... by the store... simple to install... All women have their on power tools, don't they? Works for me .

Marjflowers Guest

Years ago when I got my first desktop, I converted a closet with bi-fold louvered doors into a little office. It worked perfectly. I am all about making the best use of space! And yes, I do have my own power tools, a few anyway!

It's funny (in a good) way how the space required for technology has shrunk over the years. I went from a huge (seems that way now) desktop, to a laptop, to an iPad. When my laptop died, I decided not to replace it, since I can do almost everything I need to on the iPad -- unless a Flash player is required! Since I retired, my computing needs are very much simplified. And I didnt use my printer before my laptop died, so I don't anticipate needing it it the future. So that leaves me with the router, cable modem, and microcell. Actually, that one is for my cell phone -- there is a 2-mile long, 4-block wide area where ATT Wireless service isn't optimal. And of course, I live in that area.

My new table will have a drawer that I'll be able to keep my ipad and phone in while charging. I REALLY want to get rid of all the clutter! If I can just figure out the router, modem, and microcell, I'll be set.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Technology has really made our office requirements shrink! The entire room my "office closet" is in was required back when I ran Windows 95 as my operating system. My fax was the size of a lawn moyer, required a dedicated phone line, the ink came in a roller that required an hour to replace. I do get a kick out of being asked when shopping for an item, if I know how to use a computer it can be found on the internet. I had been repairing computers before they were born. But now I need a magnifing glass to just find a keyboard.

Marjflowers Guest

I think I solved my problem! I found a cable outlet in a bedroom that I didn't know was there, so I can easily hide the cable modem, router, and microcell in a corner of the bedroom.

That leaves me with a smallish, oddly empty corner, and that has a wonderful solution. I'm a basket weaver, but despite the hundreds of baskets I've made over the years, I have very few in my home. So I'm thinking I'll make a large urn-type floor basket. It will be a fun project to design and weave, and it really is the perfect spot. Happy! Happy!

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

HI Mayflowers; So very happy to know you have solved that problem. I do appreciate the work, art, the eye for design that basket weaving demands.
    Post a picture when floor basket is complete.