Thread: Greetings from new member seeking guidance

jskr79 Guest

Default Greetings from new member seeking guidance

About a decade ago I made a poor purchase decision and got a sofa that was really only comfortable for about the first year. I really don't want to make the same mistake this time, so I've spent a fair amount of time educating myself on this great website as well as by reading some other things online. Here's what I'm looking for:

Three seater with a modern look upholstered in leather. I'm not sure if my use of the word "modern" is correct since I don't mean it in an artistic sense. I simply mean I prefer furniture with clean, simple lines and don't like the look of nailheads.

The only sofa I've seen locally that I like the look of is the Bram at Room and Board, but now that I've done more homework online I'm hesitant to buy that given that I'm not sure how well it will hold up. It's bad enough when a sofa that cost $1,000 doesn't provide comfort for more than a year, but I don't want to spend $3,500 on a sofa that I'll hate in a year's time.

I went to a local store (the only in San Francisco) that carries Hancock and Moore and they only had two models on display. One was the City Sofa. While it was comfortable to sit on, I didn't like the look of it at all and also found it to be smaller than I anticipated. The other (whose name escapes me at the moment) was beautiful but had a price tag to match -- over $10,000 which is definitely WELL beyond my budget.

I posted a few questions in another thread about a Bradington and Young sofa here because it looks like something I might like that I could afford, but I'm open to any other suggestions for brands/models I might consider or even stores within San Francisco that I might visit.

Default Re: Greetings from new member seeking guidance

jskr79, I noticed on Hancock and Moore's web site that they have 7 Dealers within 50-miles of San Francisco. Most are probably closer than 50-miles to your location. When I was looking for an H&M Recliner and Sofa, I made a phone call to each of the Dealers near me to specifically ask about what H&M items they had in their showroom. This allowed me to eventually to see and try each of the two pieces I eventually purchased. Secondly, given the price-range you have mentioned, I would recommend you take a look at this Town and Country Program Furniture Forum thread...

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...motion-Program

This is quite a large catalog so you will have to scan down to where most of the Sofas in the Program are. Hopefully you will see a style within this promotional priced program that matches your decor needs. Keep in mind that all Hancock and Moore Dealers do not participate in the Town and Country Program so once you find a piece you like, you will have to ask the Local Dealer if they do participate in the Program. Also, if you do see a T&C piece that you like, you could give Duane a call and see when he could get you the item. With regard to Bradington and Young, you may want to do a search online and get familiar with their Sofas that match your decor needs and perhaps see some prices that place the pieces in your price-range. Again Duane could get those pieces as well.