If I'm not the worst housekeeper I the world, I'm likely in the top ten. I think it's genetic -- my Mom was the same way. But when I do clean, I really CLEAN!! Over the years, I've discovered a number of products and practices that have made housework more bearable:

Time is my friend. The longer I let cleaner (or water) stand, the less work I have to do. I've been amazed when I've hired people to clean how they'll spray cleaner, wipe it up immediately, and wonder why the surface isn't clean.

Black and Decker Scum Buster. My best friend! Whoever designed the bathtubs in my house, thought it was a bright idea to make the floor of the tub textured, presumably to make it less slippery. Sounds good -- it's not. Dirt collects in the tiny ridges, and it cannot be removed with a cloth or a sponge. And since my feet tend to be the dirtiest part of my body, it doesn't take many showers before the floor of the rub looks utterly disgusting. But the Scum Buster (and time for the cleaner to soak) with a stiff pad does miracles.

Painting with satin finish gives me the look I want, and it is totally washable.

Sonic Clean scrubber. This gizmo is about the size of an electric toothbrush and has different rotating heads for different purposes. The corner attachment gets the funk out of corners like a rotor rooter!

In the kitchen, no real cleaning can happen without toothpicks. They reach tight grooves between the range and cabinets like nothing else. Great for detailing. Also great for digging out the crud that collects between the edge of the tile floor and the metal strip where the carpet meets the kitchen floor.

Shark Pocket Mop. Uses no detergent -- cleans with steam. And it works! I just replaced mine this fall, and it now has a unit that comes off to clean countertops and can even be used to steam clothes. Totally worth the money!

Never pick up anything more than once. When you pick something up, put it where it belongs. It really does save time.

The old formula of Spic and Span mixed with ammonia and water. I keep a squirt bottle mixed up all the time. It will clean just about anything!

Evolve bleach tablets. Highly concentrated bleach that dissolves in the washing machine in hot water, and no chance of spills. There's nothing like fresh sheets washed in bleach. And towels. And a white bedspread that my black cat has claimed as her own.

I'm embarrassed by how utterly disgusting the space under my kitchen baseboards get. Solution? A sopping wet bath towel that I lay on the floor and push up underneath the baseboard. Leave it there an hour or so, and everything wipes up and the floor is pristine. I wet it down again and move it up to the next area, till I've made it all the way around the kitchen. When I'm done, I toss it in the washer ( with a bleach tablet)! The water and towel do all the work.

Just replace the metal air conditioner vents and HVAC air return from time to time. You can scrub and scrub, and the finish will come off before they're clean. The same was true for stove pans. I solved that problem when I got a glass stovetop.

The tops of ceiling fan blades are a pain to clean. But as I know no one tall enough to see the dirt, so they only get cleaned at Christmas when I'm on the ladder anyway hanging a friendship ball. It is, after all the same dust our cave mothers were pushing around!

Glassware that sits out on the bakers rack is a different story. It's amazing what a difference that makes, and regular dusting just doesn't cut it. Again, I pile them in a sink of soapy water and walk away. Let them drip-dry on a towel. No standing at the sink washing dishes.

Every self-respecting Kentuckian has silver julep cups. Mine are pewter. No way am I going to spend time polishing silver!

If you can't clean it, paint it! I keep every color I've ever used for touch-ups.

I keep baskets in my utility room that hold cleaning products divided by type and room. So when I clean the bathroom, I grab one basket that has everything I need for that chore. Another container holds all laundry supplies. I read somewhere that having separate containers for stuff increases the likelihood that everything will stay in it's place. I've found that to be true. I have a container for shoe polish, purses, health and accident stuff (ace bandages, knee braces, hot water bottle, heating pad, etc.), greeting cards, etc. This works for me.

Some things are just worth paying someone to do. Windows.

So that's my list for a hopeless housekeeper. If there are any others like me out there, I'd love to hear your tips!