Thread: Hancock and Moore New Video

Default Hancock and Moore New Video

Just posted today, I asked for this to be made about three years back, to explain some differences in leather types, and they did a very good job of it, though the model in the video is a little too 'polished' for my tastes. I'd rather see Jimmy Moore make the video - he's so much more entertaining! I was surprised by the price justification in the video, didn't see that one coming....but its good to have it in there because the SINGLE most difficult thing about selling this line is being able to get folks past the price resistance on it. It's not over-inflated for what it is in my opinion, its just that when you use the quality of materials they build with, and the hours of hand labor, you just can't do it very inexpensively. Personally I think if you can stretch your budget to a Hancock & Moore product, you will find you will get your money's worth over the lifespan of the piece, but of course you don't want to buy anything that is financially uncomfortable for your household budget.

Anyways, its worth the time spent watching.....

HA! I just noticed at 20 seconds into the video that's where they do the final touch-up at the end of the production line in the factory. You can see the color dyes in the bottles on the top shelf. Also notice in picture # 2 at the 1:39 mark in the video (pause the player there, it goes by fast) that hide where you see the two circled marks in the front? Those are flaws and the first part of the hide to get marked, and to not use in the pattern-making. All those patterns you see are then cut out by hand with very sharp electric shears.

Last edited by drcollie; 05-28-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore New Video

Interesting video. I note at about the 4:40 mark she speaks of the class of leather 1 thru 5 as ascending quality, not price.
    This is contrary to what has been posted here many times. Obviously one could expect some correlation between quality and price but the video makes it a direct comparison. Also the analogy of the cost of the shoes scaling to the cost of a sofa based only on the leather costs is very misleading and was a turn off for me. I wish she had shown individual pieces of furniture finished in the various leathers rather than just hold them up where little difference could be discerned. I agreed Jimmy Moore would have been a better choice to give the message that you get what you pay for!!!!
    Last edited by cuse69; 05-29-2014 at 10:18 AM.

I agree the shoe leather comparison is distracting at best and irrelevant at worst. If I were the editor of this film, that segment would have gone on the cutting room floor. You also note they use "Protected" and "Unprotected" in speaking of the leather, which I don't ever agree with and am on a 1-man crusade to get that eliminated from the vernacular in the trade, but I'm titling at windmills on that one
    Duane Collie

shepherdkisses Guest

I understand what they are saying but how many people really pay $250.00 for one pair of shoes? Am I that cheap?

Hancock and Moore was modeled after The Allen Edmonds Shoe Company (USA made in Wisconsin), that was straight from one of the founding partners. He liked the way they did business with top notch service, USA made, and they would always take a pair of their shoes back and re-craft/repair them. So he used them as his business model for H&M. And yes, Allen Edmonds shoes cost $ 240 and up (I have a few pair, they're excellent).
    Duane Collie

hglaber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdkisses View Post
    I understand what they are saying but how many people really pay $250.00 for one pair of shoes? Am I that cheap?
    I have a couple of pairs as well. I suspect the income of many Allen Edmonds owners might be lower than you think - and those owners will tell you that they see good shoes, properly cared for, as the cheap route in the long term (much like higher-end furniture, and for the same reasons).

shepherdkisses Guest

Smile Re: Hancock and Moore New Video

Quote Originally Posted by hglaber View Post
    I have a couple of pairs as well. I suspect the income of many Allen Edmonds owners might be lower than you think - and those owners will tell you that they see good shoes, properly cared for, as the cheap route in the long term (much like higher-end furniture, and for the same reasons).
    You may be right. We will see. I actually did purchase a pair of shoes for my husband last Christmas for $300. His first instinct was to send to take them back. But he has kept them, and true to form he admits to liking them, but he saves them for meetings with the big mucky mucks at work. He will take any pair of shoes and have them re-soled, wear them another six months and then get a new pair for $80-100. According to what I am hearing, at that rate these shoes should be around for years.

I can speak to you about coach purses. I wait until they are half off and then purchase only the leather purses. They last so long that it's a little annoying because I can't justify buying new ones. I like to buy new ones.

Having difficulty posting, this is a test only.