Thread: questions about BY leather choice

get2brad Guest

Default questions about BY leather choice

Your forum is packed with so much info and I really appreciate the education I've received thus far just from reading! Its changed the way I listen to furniture sales people for sure.

My wife and I currently have a leather picked out, the BY 9567-85-A (Brindisi Dionisi). Our couch selection is the Dietrich 660-95 and a sectional-couch Sterling 221-57 and 221-58 (left and right armed love seats to make an extra long couch). Both couches would match in leather selection.

What we like most about that leather is the wiped-off look. And the bonus is that it is (or was) a grade 1 leather, I didn't look at grades while selecting leathers but I did avoid finished leathers.

We are searching for furniture that will last a long time (lifetime?). We are blessed to have a 3 year old, a 1 year old and a pair of medium (25#) dogs. The leather might not look at them as blessings though. I don't think I'd be happy with a finished leather since it is so processed and not dyed through. I did see that BY offers some aniline protected leathers. Is there something that can be done to the leather we selected that would give it an extra "shield" for whatever may happen with our couches? Would you suggest we consider something different given our active household that would give the same look/effect?

Thanks for taking the guess work out of furniture. Our past 2 furniture buying experiences were a nightmare, we're looking to do it right this time.

brad

Default Re: questions about BY leather choice

Hi Brad,

An Aniline Plus (AP) leather is a topcoated and lightly sanded aniline, that may be what you are seeking. The 'Wiped-off" look is going to be either a good pull-up hide or a burnished (hand-antiqued) leather and you won't find those in GR 1 and 2, they are premium. more costly hides.

The secret to longevity of the leather cover is frequent cleaning and conditioning, not so much which leather you buy. Its all about the maintenance.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

get2brad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The 'Wiped-off" look is going to be either a good pull-up hide or a burnished (hand-antiqued) leather and you won't find those in GR 1 and 2, they are premium. more costly hides.
    Thanks for the input. I just want to get a little clarification based on your comment. What is going on with the 9567 leather in the Bentley Place collection? The description from BY says:

9567 Aniline (Wipe-off)
    Brindisi is produced with underlying base colors that are revealed by removing the top color once the furniture is built. The leather is “wiped-off” by hand, in certain areas, to create an antiqued, worn look. With this unique type of application, shade and grain variation are expected and appreciated.
    That's from their leather descriptions pdf. While I can understand that a more hands on process should probably cost more, I was very surprised when that leather I selected fell into price grade 1. But that doesn't totally line up with your comment.

Thanks for helping put the pieces together!
    Last edited by get2brad; 06-01-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: needs an extra line break!

I will have to wait until Tuesday when I'm back in the store to look at the leathers on my swatch handles....
    Duane Collie

get2brad Guest

I was wondering if you had a chance to look at your swatches? At least on the swatches I have they don't appear to be dyed through. But maybe that's just the sample/swatch?

Slipped my mind....and today is Sunday so I won't be back in until Tuesday again - where I may forget to check by then <again>. Best bet is to make posts like these Tues-Sat when I'm in the store.
    Duane Collie

get2brad Guest

No worries, here is my Tuesday reminder! I appreciate your input. I received the swatches for the 2 Brindisi colors, neither of them appear dyed through. I'm pretty confused by that.

get2brad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Best bet is to make posts like these Tues-Sat when I'm in the store.
    Hey Duane, I was wondering if you could comment on the leather I mentioned above if you have your swatch book handy!

# 9567 is not a very handsome leather, it looks like vinyl to me (though its not). Stiffer than most, it's been worked 'too hard' and has an artificial appearance to it. I'd pass on it.
    Duane Collie