Thread: Looking for a Durable, Heavy use Recliner or Chair

katie_1099 Guest

Default Looking for a Durable, Heavy use Recliner or Chair

Hi,
    I work from home and sit in my recliner everyday for at least 12+ hours a day (closer to 15) and I'm also heavy at just over 200lbs.

Right now I have a recliner that I bought from Haverty's eight months ago and the entire left side is flat/broken in.

Now I'm looking to replace it with something that will last and can withstand my treatment. I don't care if I get a recliner or a chair/ottoman, I just want something that won't need to be replaced for a couple of years. I'm even okay with restuffing cushions if necessary as long as the insides are still holding up. (My current springs just creak and are easily squished.)

Can anyone recommend brands (or specific models) that could meet my needs? I would prefer to spend $2k or less (flexible) and would be getting fabric upholstery, not leather.

I did see that this question has been asked before, but didn't find anything recent and with quality always changing, I wondered if there was a current "best" brand for this type of piece.

Thanks so much for your help!

Default Re: Looking for a Durable, Heavy use Recliner or Chair

If you are in a recliner 12+ hours every day then you need not a good recliner - but the BEST recliner. And the best one on the market is a Hancock and Moore. There are some you can get into for $ 2K, a few will go over that depending on model and leather chosen. Haverty's is not high quality at all. Get an H&M and you never have to worry about inner cores, they are free of charge as long as you own the piece. Don't get fabric, it won't last. At the high rate of use that you will be having, fabric will be worn out in 5 years or less. Leather will go 4x longer if you keep it maintained. With that high a use level you will probably need a mechanism around the 10 year mark, but once that is put in you would be good for another 10 years.

Also consider a tilt back chair and ottoman instead of a recliner. They are stronger and even more durable. Choice of style depends on your decor and how tall you are.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

katie_1099 Guest

Thanks so much for your reply!

We know fabric is more apt to wear, but with a cat who gets excited and chases her tail while on the furniture, it's just not plausible. We do keep blankets on the seating & back surfaces and our seating seems to wear out while our fabric looks brand new.

I'll see if there's a nearby dealer so I can sit in one of their chairs/sofa. Do you think I could get into a fabric chair & ottoman under $2k? I measured our current seating (a two recliner sectional) and could comfortably fit a sofa in the area as well. I found an incliner sofa that would work for my purposes though I could also just snare a regular sofa and ottoman or two. Do you think I could get into a sofa for $4k-ish? It's either two chairs and ottomans, an incliner sofa, or a sofa and two ottomans at this point. I realize you can't price me online, but I don't want to waste anyone's time in a local store to sit in a chair and then even more time bothering you for pricing if it's just not feasible.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

pvrick Guest

I will attest to Duane's comments re the H/M tilt back and ottoman. It is the most comfortable chair in our house and my wife lives in it about 8 hours a day. The fact that you can select whatever position you want is amazing and not having to deal with a mechanism that seems to always fail is great.

Rick

You could get an Austin Tilt Back (2032NB) and Ottoman (8131NB) for pretty close to $ 2K, just a bit over, from an aggressively priced dealer in GR1 Town and Country fabric. Might be just a little over that amount. I think you would do better with that chair and a stationary sofa as a combo, The incliner sofa has limited appeal to me, personally. How about 2 chairs, 1 ottoman, 1 stationary sofa? Just do the single ottoman if the budget is tight, and move it back and forth to the two chairs.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.