Thread: Quote on B&Y chairs?

alanak Guest

Default Quote on B&Y chairs?

Hi Duane,
    You've given me several quotes on H&M recliners, now I'm on a different track and considering B&Y club chairs. Would you mind giving me prices on the 898-25 and the 425-25 in a 9575-87-F leather? I sat in a H&M Town & Country Author Chair and LOVED it, but it's too large for my space. Do you know that style and could you make a recommendation on something that feels similar but isn't as wide?

I'm amazed at how much lower your H&M quotes were than my local "fine" furniture store! They were, too!! (I didn't identify you.) They didn't seem to believe it possible. Do you get a better price b/c of your volume, or are they just REALLY marking up their prices? They were almost DOUBLE on the Miller and the Author.

Thanks for all your help,

Alana K

Alana,

Be glad to! Here's the BY prices, and that is a Grade 2 leather. Shipping additional to the quote, as usual.

# 898-25 $ 1,259
    # 425-25 $ 952

Can't help further with any recommendations to alternate styles on that frame, sorry!

As to pricing.....I have one of the nations' largest discounters with a store appx. 20 miles from me. Early on I discovered I was losing sales to them, so I decided that if they want to play lowball, I'll go under them, simple as that. I don't lose sales to them anymore that I'm aware of, except maybe on aged floor stock they may have. I'm currently a 1-man operation (can't afford to hire anyone!) so I run lean-lean-lean, leaner than they do. I have two part-time college kids come in on Saturdays to do local deliveries, and that's it. That big discounter has a huge facility, lots of employees, and I think I can wear them down <grin>.

I don't like to lose a sale to anyone. I probably spend on average four to five times with a customer on a leather purchase that most stores do, and it irks me to lose it on price, so to the basement we go on the prices. I pay the same price as the other dealers do, just make less on each sale.....so keep those orders coming in!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

alanak Guest

Default I think it works...

Considering the fact that the saleswoman at my local store couldn't recognize a Hancock & Moore chair without looking at the tag, their pricing policy must not be working so well for them... ; ) She wasn't exactly familiar with the line!

I'm in Louisiana, near New Orleans. You told someone else on the forum recently that shipping to Seattle would run about $300 or $350, I think. I don't imagine mine would be more, do you think? How much more would an additional chair be?

Thanks again

dr56 Guest

Default Let me add...

Let me add that you will be hard-pressed to get better service than Duane can provide and by far more educated in the leather furniture business than anyone I have met and the right price, of course!

alanak Guest

Default Shipping?

Hi Duane, do you have a ballpark on that shipping?

Also, did see a Bernhardt chair today that sat very comfortably and was pretty. It was also a good price. I think I know what you're going to say, but is this junk? It was a club chair in the Smithsonian line.

alanak Guest

Default Talking to myself now...

I think I just saw myself in another post! Something about some people not buying anything until they are broken, then buying anything in front of them. I don't want to buy the Bernhardt chair for THAT reason.

I'm so confused and overwhelmed at this point, that I'm paralyzed! I don't have access to many floor models at all, and I'm terrified to make this investment sight unseen.

Anyone who's been in my situation have any great advice? Duane?

$ 146 via HDS is the minimum charge to Louisiana, and that's good for up to 150lb. So that means either one chair or two can ship for that. After 150 lb, its based on total weight.

I can't tell you one way or another on Bernhardt without getting a look at it. I know it does not enjoy a premium reputation, however. Other than that, I'd have to have a looksie at one.

My advice? You have to buy at YOUR comfort level. Some folks are very comfortable buying long distance, others not so much. If you like surprises, then long distance is fun - for the most part I think my distance customers find their orders meet or exceed their expectations. But if you are a worrier, and place swatches in your home for days on end to get the exact color, then you're really an off-the-floor local kind of buyer and should stay local.

I buy long distance all the time. My wife would never do it - no way. So its just how you're wired internally! Does that help?
    Duane Collie

puhmuckel Guest

Default Get the one's you like

I am in New Orleans and just purchased a sofa and ottoman from Duane. It should be delivered shortly. You are welcome to come to my home in the French Quarter to check it out. I feel very confident and have made most of my purchases online. I still own a piece of crap Natuzzi sofa from Hurwitz Mintz as well.

<laughing> I was thinking while typing that quote, "Maybe I could get it delivered with your pieces!" Then I realized that they couldn't be made in time, since yours should be ready to deliver in what....three weeks or so when you get back to New Orleans?

What a great city. There is nothing in the USA like New Orleans, though I have to admit its been a couple of decades since I've been there.
    Duane Collie

alanak Guest

Default Thanks Duane and puhmuckel!

Duane, you're a patient man. Thank you for your help. To both you and puhmuckel? I want to say that I'm not at all worried about the quality of the furniture I would get from you, and if they were to be more decorative than functional, I would have made a decision and ordered already. However, my husband an I are likely to end every long, hard day relaxing in these chairs and they must fit us. I have sat in many, and now know that everything from the height of the back, to the pitch of the back, to the depth of the seat, to the height of the seat, to the height of the arm relative to the seat contribute to the comfort of the chair. So, having said that, I think I'm going to go with the chairs that I sat in and felt comfortable in. I hope I don't regret it, I'll definitely follow up here!

Thank you puhmuckel for your kind offer! Only in Louisiana! I hope your pieces are even better than you expect, I'm sure you have a beautiful place. There's absolutely nothing like a courtyard in the French Quarter!!