Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casco Bay Furniture

furnituredave Guest

Default Casco Bay Furniture

What experiences have you guys had with this company?

Default Re: Casco Bay Furniture

Well, Casco Bay sent me notice a few years ago that they would seek legal action if we reviewed their products here or commented on them. That should tell you volumes about their product.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

furnituredave Guest

Not a good sign, but also not the same as actual customer feedback. Idk how that works, but seems like it'd be hard to prevent people talking about stuff on an online forum. But then again, the bill of rights is more of a bill of revokable privileges.

barkingdog Guest

I am trying to find out who makes the Casco Bay furniture. I have never seen someone keep this secret so tight to the chest. Do they really make it in NC?
    He claims to use two different factories - one for tufting and everything else. Also, I appreciate what you wrote above about the legal action he would take. That's funny stuff how people just threaten people they will sue to get them to shut up.

Probably the worst move a company can take is to threaten legal action on an internet forum if they don't like what is written about them - as long as it based on a customer experience there's not much legal ground to stand on if its factual, and search engine spiders can find this stuff years later.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-15-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    Duane Collie

SGRXV Guest

My wife and I moved from NY to CA last winter, and moved into a new home a few months ago that we're planning on on staying in for a while. As a result I've started shopping for higher end furniture, and have been researching leather sofas and sectionals. I have to say that Casco Bay was one of the companies I was considering initially, but between this thread and the reviews on Garden Web that to me seemed very questionable to me - with almost every single one of them being a new user that registered to post an absolutely glowing review - they're not even on the list any longer. If a company is that worried about negative comments, it doesn't really demonstrate a lot of confidence in the product.

Of course, all this research is also gradually talking me into a Sundance sectional, so maybe ignorance was bliss.

There has been an odd event here at the forum - there have been three posters (new registrations) that have come on in the past 48 hours regarding this thread. They posted glowing reviews of the product mentioned here with lots of explanations marks, along with derogatory remarks made about this forum and my actions. My IP tracker shows all three unique posters come from the same IP address (which means the same household or office), and between that and the amp'ed up over-exuberance / fervor over defending the maker and posting that legal action taken against me as forum owner, they earned a trip to the BAN BIN. I have deleted their comments and denied all three users from forum access.

This forum is open to the public and other makers, and it is free to use, however at the end of the day I do own the forum and my moderators and myself will allow comments and members as we see fit. Come here to stir things up, make questionable claims while noisily saying you have 1st Amendment Rights and you'll quickly find out you're on private property and will be shown the digital exit door.

Note that I have NEVER made the first review of a Casco Bay product. I've never even seen their product to evaluate it as its not in stores, they are direct order only. My total interaction with Casco Bay and their products was being sent a 'cease and desist' demand to remove a comment made by one of the registered users here, which I did at the time. That was a mistake, I let them bully me into doing that and it won't happen a second time. I have no axe to grind regarding their business nor do I consider them a competitor as they claim in their blog.

Apparently it bothers them enough to write about it - I didn't know that myfurnitureforum.com has this much market penetration. Casco Bay responds to any criticism with a heavy hand which I think is a mistake - but they can choose to run their business as they see fit, of course. They need to realize I am not responsible for 3rd party content posted here, nor do I respond well to threats of legal action and will I will take whatever steps I deem necessary to ensure this remains a pleasant place to come and read about furniture. Shills and Spammers are deleted daily here by myself and the moderators, they are no different than any other.

Here is THEIR blog regarding this forum - form your own opinion as you like;

http://www.letstalkfurniture.com/wha...rniture-forum/
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-16-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    Duane Collie

needstuff Guest

I've been reading this forum for a while. The notion expressed in the "screen shot" message they post on their blog, asserting that you are only willing to post slandering and defaming remarks about competitors, is clearly false, as anyone who actually reads this forum for any period can plainly see (read).

Could these comments be considered arguably slanderous and defaming to YOU? Does anyone really think the fact that the comments are couched as a question, instead of an assertion, really in any way mitigates their (baselessly) harmful intent??

Should perhaps YOU be the one drafting lawyer's letters to forum owners ?? Particularly since the statements of the forum owners themselves (end of their 2nd paragraph) echo the same (defammatory?) accusation as this user?

Just wondering.

But I can certainly see why you deleted it, who needs to sit there and feel they are being defamed, on their own forum??
    Last edited by needstuff; 08-16-2014 at 02:37 PM.

An interesting thing begins to happen when you spend some time to research a company and it's amazing what you can find out given time on the computer and willingness to follow the trail. Stay tuned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truthpic1.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	6457
    Duane Collie

Raident Guest

Duane, this is just my opinion, but I think it would be best to avoid falling into the trap of wasting your valuable time and energy on this company. Researching them in detail isn't exactly a value-added activity for your business or for educating consumers. Besides, I'm sure there's a zillion other companies out there that follow a similar modus operandi, and trying to counter each and every one of them will only distract you from your goals.

Short of any further developments, I feel that your previous posting is enough to tell your side of the story, and all of us on this forum who have benefitted from your advice should be able to see the situation for what it is after reading through both this thread and their blog post.
    Last edited by Raident; 08-16-2014 at 11:11 PM.