Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Casco Bay Furniture

Default Re: Casco Bay Furniture

Well, no one likes to exposed for what they are when what they are running is a bit of a shell game, do they? It's like 60 Minutes Investigative Reporting. GOTCHA.

I'm glad to do the forum, I am only disappointed that more people in the trade don't contribute, so that consumers get the benefit of other viewpoints different from mine.

Oh yes, I hear about this forum when I go to the High Point Furniture Market from people in the trade I don't really know. Most are positive, a few not (those that don't like me helping to educate their customer base).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I'd like to post my formal review. I am a customer. I tried to post my formal review on Houzz, but it's sitting in review for over a week. Based on all the other phony reviews there and Houzz's failure to respond to my queries on why my review isn't being posted, I will post my review and feedback all over the internet. I welcome Casco Bay to respond or refute my review as I have everything well documented. I only wish that I had happened along this forum before I placed my order with this "company". If anybody has any questions I would be happy to answer and give more detail about my experience with Casco Bay.

Let me start by saying. I believe this is a quality sectional. Unfortunately, I paid for an $8000 piece of furniture with a blemished arm. If, after nearly a year later, I didn't have a totally unresolved issue, and I had received an undamaged piece... this could be a 5 star review.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. So here goes:
    Delivery service: Terrible. Literally want you to put your life and travel on hold for 4 months because of their "you must be available with no notice to handle a delivery when WE say" attitude. Keep in mind Casco Bay requires payment in full before shipping. You will see why. Casco Bay is of zero help here. Received a lecture on multiple occasions about "this is how it's done" in the industry, blah blah. When the sofa did arrive, it was damaged. The sofa was packed standing on the end of the arm with the leather on the ground. The packing was insufficient to protect it. The finish was rubbed through on the arm. Since the Sofa was delivered in sub 0 temperatures, the leather was a bit cloudy and discolored. This made the blemish nearly impossible to see. There were also several rub marks along the backside of the sofa. After the temperature of the leather normalized, the blemish was apparent. The Wax finish had been rubbed off the sofa arm due to improper shipping.

Customer service: Bad. What ensued trying to get what I paid for ...was several months of blame shifting nonsense. First it was blamed on me (multiple different ways). Then I was told it would be taken care of. Then Robert suggested (against my feedback) that I file a warranty claim for the new sofa. He suggested I say "I placed a hot plate" on the sofa and caused the damage. He ensured and deplored me it was the best, easiest way to get the sofa fixed. I thought it was shady. This is backed up by Robert only willing to tell me on the phone "what to say" instead of what actually happened. When I told him to email it to me because I didn't have all day to plot a false statement, Casco Bay wouldn't. Finally, against my better judgment... I agreed. Result of trying to "deal" with the "5 year, top of the line warranty" resulted in a rejected claim (after months of wasted time). The company insisted they didn't cover "faded leather" despite the fact that it was a brand new couch and was proven so. The so called warranty was useless. Pay attention, because this warranty is highly advertised and touted on the web site. I looked up the warranty provider and found tons of bad reviews and negative Better Business Bureau actions against that company. Largest negative feedback? REJECTED CLAIMS.

Warranty: Worthless. If you buy furniture here, there will be no warranty. If you think that warranty they advertise is worth something, I am here to tell you ...guess again, and don't cry later.

Nearly 7 months after receiving a defective sofa, I have given up. I still have the damaged piece, and I'm still out $8000. I CANNOT RECOMMEND CASCO BAY.

The Houzz review system is a joke. I was pretty suspicious before I placed my order because there were no negative reviews, not a single one. Now it's pretty clear that any negative reviews submitted, never see the light of day on Houzz. I'm sure they are frequently prevented from entering the system. Queries through social media about their review system and overly ambitious positive review catalog were met with deleted comments and blocked posting capability. Buyer beware for any service or product touted on that website.

I think based on your post, that your issue is with the delivery company, not Casco Bay per se. Let's go over a couple of things:

1) Pay before you get it. Yes. What product to you get to pay for it after its arrived? A new iPhone from Apple? A new TV from Costco? A book from Amazon? How about clothes from LL Bean? Every consumer product has to be paid for before shipping, because it's impossible to retrieve an item out of a customer's home once they have it. This is the standard in all parts of every consumer product unless you have arranged financing on a big ticket item.

2) A warranty covers manufacturer's defects in workmanship and parts. It does not cover damages or wear.

3) The Merchant and the Manufacturer are not responsible for damages caused by the delivery company. This is industry wide in all shipped goods, not just furniture. Goods are picked up from the producer in new condition from the dock of the manufacturer. Title changes hands for the goods to the delivery/shipping company as soon as it comes off that dock. This is by law, it's not a policy. So when something happens to the goods from the dock to your house, the shipping service is responsible. You have to go back to the delivery company to make it whole, and you SHOULD refuse delivery on anything that is not right when it comes off the truck. Trying to resolve damage issues after the truck has left your driveway is very difficult.

4) I have never heard of any company saying you have to put your life on hold for delivery for four months to get delivery without notice. That is an exaggeration and simply not true.

5) if all that is really wrong is some wax finish needs applying on the arm of a piece, you can do that in less time it takes to write out your post. It's literally a 1 minute job to do so. I have done it plenty of times.

Perhaps on your next purchase, you should buy locally. I think you would be more comfortable doing so, even if you have to pay a little more. Good luck.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I think based on your post, that your issue is with the delivery company, not Casco Bay per se. Let's go over a couple of things:

1) Pay before you get it. Yes. What product to you get to pay for it after its arrived? A new iPhone from Apple? A new TV from Costco? A book from Amazon? How about clothes from LL Bean? Every consumer product has to be paid for before shipping, because it's impossible to retrieve an item out of a customer's home once they have it. This is the standard in all parts of every consumer product unless you have arranged financing on a big ticket item.

2) A warranty covers manufacturer's defects in workmanship and parts. It does not cover damages or wear.

3) The Merchant and the Manufacturer are not responsible for damages caused by the delivery company. This is industry wide in all shipped goods, not just furniture. Goods are picked up from the producer in new condition from the dock of the manufacturer. Title changes hands for the goods to the delivery/shipping company as soon as it comes off that dock. This is by law, it's not a policy. So when something happens to the goods from the dock to your house, the shipping service is responsible. You have to go back to the delivery company to make it whole, and you SHOULD refuse delivery on anything that is not right when it comes off the truck. Trying to resolve damage issues after the truck has left your driveway is very difficult.

4) I have never heard of any company saying you have to put your life on hold for delivery for four months to get delivery without notice. That is an exaggeration and simply not true.

5) if all that is really wrong is some wax finish needs applying on the arm of a piece, you can do that in less time it takes to write out your post. It's literally a 1 minute job to do so. I have done it plenty of times.

Perhaps on your next purchase, you should buy locally. I think you would be more comfortable doing so, even if you have to pay a little more. Good luck.
    Respectfully,you are making ALOT of assumptions. Careful with that.

1. Obviously I didn't have a problem paying up front. After all, I chose to do it, didn't I? My complaint is not with paying first. Yes, I understand this is the way it works. When you are made a bunch of promises about shipping, delivery date, etc... then it becomes a bit different. Keep in mind the COVID "tax" from delivery time was well baked in and discussed before purchase.
    2. Yes, obviously. Again, don't know the full story. Of which it would take 2 days of typing to give all the details. First called about the wear spot, I told them it looked like damage from the way it was shipped. I was told by Casco Bay that it wasn't. Robert told me it was SPEW. It was not. I know this because they sent me a jar of stuff from Moore and Giles for the type of leather I have (Brompton Cocoa). After I followed their directions, they said I did it wrong. False. Then Robert said they would fix it. After several weeks a leather tech to look at the sofa. The tech looked at it and confirmed it was a wear spot. The tech proceeded to try and rewax... NOPE didn't work. Spot remained tacky and the tech confirmed the spot was from the hide being rubbed off. He told CB the same. At that point, Robert tried to talk me into filing a warranty claim. HE assured me it was the quickest way to get the sofa fixed and even told me I may get a new couch and keep the old. I told him I didn't want to file a claim because it wasn't a warranty issue, it was a new sofa. I KNEW IT WASN'T a warranty claim and was essentially BS. Robert assured me they would fix it, and then told me to "tell them I put a hot plate on it". He said "Say exactly that". He kept telling me over and over it's the fastest way to get resolution and it's what I needed to do. However, he wouldn't put in writing what he wanted me to say, he would only say it over the phone. Hmmmm. Yeah. I went ahead an did it because he said "I know the owner of the warranty company, they will do whatever I say". WRONG. After another couple of months, the claim was first rejected for no reason, then they sent a tech out from the warranty company finally. Tech observed the brand new couch and the company said it was not fading and looked like a wear mark. EXACTLY. Warranty company called a few weeks later and said the claim was denied because they didn't cover fading. Over the next few weeks, Robert promised to get to the bottom of it, promised to come get the couch and re-cover the arm, etc, etc. THey said they were going to pick up the sofa, weeks later nothing. More weeks later they asked if anyone had picked up the sofa. Promised to pick it up. Weeks later promised again to pick it up. Then offered me a $300 throw instead. Nice.

4. Again, don't know the story. Of course they didn't say I should put my life on hold (yes, but every time I talked to them or the shipping company, it sure felt like it). Said delivery would happen before Christmas at latest. Several weeks later they called when I was scheduled to be out of the country with an exact time. Well, without going into ALL the detail....they were totally inflexible. Essentially they shipped the sofa(knowing I wouldn't be there), left it on the truck, and I had to wait another 4 weeks for it to be delivered (They later said in a phone call this was my fault, and also the reason for the damage). Again, you don't know all the details and yes, I've been buying stuff over he internet all shapes and sizes and weights for well over 25 years. I was told multiple times along the way "not to worry about it, we will do whatever it takes to make it right" For over 6 months I've heard this nonsense (after receiving the sofa).

5. With all due respect, 2 leather technicians (one hired by the insurance company and one hired by Casco Bay) both say you are 100% false.

The delivery was in the middle of an ice storm. The temperature was -10 degrees (in Arkansas). I tried to have the delivery moved because the 30 steps of steep stairs to the entrance were under 2" of solid ice. I had to salt the stairs all day. As such ,the Sofa was stored in a super cold environment for an extended period of time. The waxed leather was darker than usual because of it, which is why the dark tacky spot wasn't visible on inspection. I called Casco bay 4 hours later when the leather warmed and the tacky cloudy spot appeared. This was when Robert said... not to worry, it will come right off. It's "Spew". I proceeded to tell him about how the sofa was stored in the truck and he pretty much told me that was normal, not to worry, it's how they are supposed to ship it (couch up vertically with all the weight resting on the arm. hmmm). Told me about 20 times over the next few days on phone and email that it was SPEW, not to worry... he was sorry that it happens and he would make it right.

You made an awful lot of assumptions. The biggest reason I posted here was to tell other people of my experience, since all reviews on Houzz are glowing accounts. The quality of the furniture, as stated in my review is great, contrary to some assumptions I have read here. However, the shipping, warranty service, and customer service are atrocious. I stand by this. There is a reason why they only have 100% positive reviews on Houzz. It's because they control the feedback. I don't agree that you can't have a decent experience purchasing over the internet. Quite the contrary

Again, I don't find it would be worthwhile to type out everything I have gone through with CB over the last almost year now. Research the 5 year warranty given and the company behind it and you will find tons of BBB entries and complaints about DENIED CLAIMS. Based on the way the company handled the claim, I guarantee the 5 year premium warranty, even promising to repair pet damage and other unusual damage, is totally worthless. This sofa has no warranty. The fact they said they wanted me to have a "perfect" piece of furniture and that they would ship it back to fix it in factory if that's what it required was a bold face lie. When I last talked to CB, they suggested sending me a $300 throw instead. This is the reason for my accurate review. I didn't want to write a book here.

The reality is, you can have a crap experience local, and one on the internet as well. I would say my experience on each is about equitable. If you give your word, you better honor it. Call me old school.

Jason
    Last edited by dbatech99; 08-29-2021 at 03:32 AM.

Hey Jason,

Duane is trying to help you. He is not your enemy here. You may not want my opinion but I think you’re transferring some of your frustration with Casco Bay to Duane which is not fair to him. I’ve personally bought furniture from him (Hancock and Moore) and, like you, there was some damage from the delivery company but also manufacturing defects from H&M. Duane took care of everything; he paid for my furniture to be picked up and returned to the H&M factory in Hickory, NC where it was beautifully reworked, and then he paid for it to be returned back to me. I can personally vouch for him and tell you that if you’d purchased a piece from him, you would not have had the unfortunate experience you describe. He’s a good guy and very knowledgeable and is only trying to be of assistance. Even though you are not his customer, and likely never will be, he took the time to respond and offer his advice. Pretty much nobody else in his industry does that. So, my suggestion is to be mad at Casco Bay, but don’t be mad at Duane. He’s just an innocent third party offering free help which you can use or ignore.

As for me, Duane and H&M so completely took ownership of my problem and resolved it that I later bought another piece of H&M furniture from him and I plan to buy at least one more. Like I said, he’s a good guy who I’m confident wouldn’t have treated you in the manner you’ve described. Personally I’d thank him for the insight he provided.

Some people are just angry - I don't take it personally
    Duane Collie