Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casco Bay Furniture

Default Re: Casco Bay Furniture

Duane, by insisting that you're their competitor, they also put themselves in the same category as you. Doesn't that mean that they're also putting you in the category of H&M?

Raident Guest

Has anybody here tried calling Casco Bay with their questions and concerns, as they suggest? I'm curious what they would say, especially as it appears that with each edit of their blog post they're increasingly at a loss for words.

The Casco Bay rant about "My Furniture Forum" keeps getting smaller and smaller every time I go back to read it. Not much left of it anymore, good thing we archived the screen shots of it each visit to their web page for the historical archives.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

barkingdog Guest

I am going to be in the Hickory area. Does anyone have the address of the the small factories they use or the address of their imaginary showroom?

Following the dust-up here, they have indicated that one of their manufacturers is "Jonathan Wesley Furniture of Taylorsville, North Carolina". Another is described as "David", based in Conover, North Carolina. The "factory showroom" is located at Peace Transport, in High Point; you would have to schedule an appointment.

ElizabethUpton Guest

Angry Casco Bay Furniture

I wish I had read this thread of information BEFORE I made the mistake of buying from Casco Bay. I DO NOT recommend doing business with Casco Bay Furniture.
    First of all, the "sofa" they sold me really turned out to be a loveseat (only seats 2 comfortably) The measurements of the sofa (length) seemed to fit with what I needed for a sofa, but when I actually unwrapped the sofa it was a huge let down. The rolled arms are so huge, they take up 20" each of the total length of the sofa.
    On top of that, the buttons on the seat of my sofa started to come undone within 2 months.
    When I spoke with the salesman on the phone, he recommended a certain kind of leather for the sofa, since I have two cats. Well, the promise of "easily wiped off" scratches was another misrepresentation by Casco Bay. The scratches do not rub off & the leather treatment cream Casco Bay sold me does not work at all.
    I had the hardest time trying to get a response from Casco Bay in reference to the problems I have with their sofa & the workmanship.
    You're right about not being able to find out exactly where their factory is located. It must be a state held secret. If I could find out the location, then I could file a YELP complaint against this company.

I think you really have to know whom you are doing business with. I have found the best policy is honesty, even when a customer doen’t like what they hear. For example, when someone asks me “What’s the best leather to select when there are cats on the sofa?” My reply is typically “There isn’t one, if a cat digs in and scratches the leather, its always going to be visible.” Cat claws are powerful enough to get through your skin and draw blood, so they are certainly powerful enough to penetrate the upper layer of leather, which is an animal skin. Just like rubbing lotion on your clawed skin doesn’t stop the bleeding, neither does rubbing conditioner on leather make the scratch go away.

Tufted buttons can be either sewn on (the correct way, takes much, much longer) to tagged on using a needle-like tool. As you can probably figure out, the tagged on ones tend to come off, the sewn on ones far less likely to do so. A tufted seat cushion can be done in 20 minutes with a tagging gun, sewing them on make take an entire 8 hour day and that comes back as a higher priced item.

Always look at the inside width of a sofa before you order, some of those rolled arms ARE big and they will reduce the available inside space considerably. Track arms offer the smallest footprint and most interior space.

It’s the usual quandary, folks want to save money yet want top quality and assurances they to are getting the best. The fact of the matter is you can’t get a low price and the best quality. There are a lot of sellers out there that are not truthful, and will either lie to you or mis-represent to get the sale, or they just don’t know. I know at my store that you may not get the price you want to pay, but you will also never get lied to, either. I’d rather let you go shop somewhere else than compromise my integrity by telling you something that is not true.
    Duane Collie

Dunno if anyone's still following this thread, but looks like "Richard" edited his blog post about this forum yet again, but this time he name dropped several big whigs at Taylor King AND Hancock & Moore as being business associates/product developers of Casco Bay Furniture...then goes onto mentioning this forum & the negative comments about Casco Bay one may find here.

It's a really odd blog post in that I don't get how the name dropping has anything to do with this forum or the comments about them.

Anyways, I clicked on the link to Richard's blog post that Duane linked to in 2011, or 2012 & it took me to the post, but it shows it was written in 2017. I learned on this thread he's edited that post a few times...well, he's really edited it now & jazzed it up with his "industry connections."

Whoever Richard is, he seems *really* obsessed with Duane & this forum. It's actually quite amusing.

Oh, and the woman who posted her negative experience with them on this thread is literally the ONLY negative review I can find on them anywhere online, all the others are over the top, glowing reviews.

I think after reading this thread from the beginning, it's pretty easy to see who and what they are.
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-31-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    Duane Collie

Yes, but you have to admit it's pretty amusing that for 8 years he's been editing & re-editing a single blog post about you & this forum. Lol, at least we can all admit he's dedicated when it comes to that!

With just a cursory viewing online, you're right about how most of the positive reviews all read similar to each other, with the over the top language, use of exclamation points, etc. On their own website, Houzz, Google, etc they all seem eerily similar with the ONE negative review being found here, on this thread posted several years after the first post about them.

Oh well, I hope this is at least an isolated incident you have encountered while running this forum. This forum is fundamentally an educational tool for the consumer. Education is never a bad thing. I've always been kinda curious how others in the industry feel about the forum & your mission here. Are they supportive about pulling back the curtain on the industry, whether that be about construction methods used including the shortcuts, or breaking down how profit is made in the furniture selling business, or any of the various topics you've addressed on the forum? Have most people you've come in contact within the industry generally pleased about what you're doing here? As a consumer, I think it's an amazing tool...but, I'm biased because I am the consumer.

I know that I've learned a wealth of info about things I never really thought about, or thought I even needed to learn, & it's benefited me immensely. So thank you for taking the time over the years in offering this to everyone.