Thread: advice on a sectional sofa

tonkatsu Guest

Default advice on a sectional sofa

Hi, great forum you have here. My wife and I are moving to a new house and we've decided we have to have a small square sectional sofa, approx. 90x90 (+/- 5 inches or so). We love H+M -- right now we have the Settlement Sofa and we just adore it. But it doesn't fit well with the new room, so my sister-in-law is getting very lucky.

Anyway, it's hard on H+M's website to tell the dimensions of the sectionals. Is the City sectional about 93x93? There's also the Tower sectional that says width is 92, but "wall space" is 106. My local H+M dealer was useless in responding to these questions, unfortunately. Anyone know the actual dimensions of these?

Is there any other sectional anyone would recommend from a reputable manufacturer?

We know it's going to be a big shock going from the 49" seat of the Settlement Sofa to something much shorter, but we're hoping for something that's not TOO much of a shock. I'm a big guy and my wife just loves curling up on our big sofa.

Anyway, any advice as to sectionals would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Default Re: advice on a sectional sofa

The "Wall Space" measurement (i.,e. 106") is the total run length of the sectional.

The 92" length is the dimension one one segment of the piece, you still have to add the depth of the second, perpendicular piece that it joins to o get the overall space requirements.

There are no H&M sectionals that measure 90" x 90" as that's pretty small, though the H&M CITY sectional in the "L" configurations is 93" x 93". The model with the rounded wedge is larger at 100" x 100".

The smallest sectional I have from any maker is the Bradington Young in the 654 series and it come at at 92" x 92" overall. See the photo I have of it here on the forum. Go to LEATHER>RESOURCE PHOTOS>BRADINGTON YOUNG> page 2 and scroll down about halfway.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hglaber Guest

Click here for non-stop direct service to the 654 post.

I've got to re-boot the forum server, it won't currently let anyone post a link in a post. It happens periodically.....
    Duane Collie

tonkatsu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I've got to re-boot the forum server, it won't currently let anyone post a link in a post. It happens periodically.....
    Thanks Duane. Very helpful. The Brandington and Young sectional actually looks really nice, although we are partial to fabric rather than leather. (I know, that makes us heathens to most!) Does B&Y do fabric finishes? They don't have a list on their website. We are quite familiar with H&M's fabric offerings (and they have tons of great fabrics) from when we bought our Settlement Sofa a while back. But I don't really know anything about B&Y. Are they a bit lower end than H&M?

We've sat on the H&M City Sofa before so we feel like we have an idea of what the sectional would feel like. Any advice for B&Y lines to try out before making a decision?

Thanks again -- the B&Y looks perfect, actually......

The Bradington Young fabrics are (to be kind) un-remarkable. In fact, in 22 years of being a Bradington Young dealer I have never sold the first piece in the line in a fabric. For doing fabric, look at Taylor King, they are owned by the same gentleman that own Hancock & Moore, have one of the best fabric selections I've seen from any maker and ae reasonably priced.
    Duane Collie

vbnet Guest

omgosh simply had to chime in. We bought a BY leather chair and a pillow is included. First off, it was a monumental effort to find the fabrics in store (we don't live near the Keeping Room). Secondly, worse than unremarkable. You very well may find one you like but it won't take long to look through them all. There seems to be about 5 handles of them and that's it.