Some caveats up front: I admit to being a complete newbie when it comes to furniture. I have tried to educate myself as best I can as a consumer, but I am overwhelmed, and am reaching out to you guys for help.

In summary:

Overall, do you guys think the following construction is of reasonable quality for the price? I just want to avoid regret and annoyance over the next few years (at least).

Details:

I'm trying to buy some bedroom furniture (bed, nightstand, dresser) for under $2000. I found a set that seems to have acceptable quality for the price. I've looked for and found a lot of the features that supposedly indicate good quality for the price, including

Pros:
a good number of pine planks supporting the mattresses (maybe 3" planks separated about 2" apart)
English dovetail joining the drawer corners
metal glide rails

Cons:
no dust panels under drawers
no corner blocks in drawers

The salesman describes the wood as "birch ply". He calls it "solid wood", but I can accept it for what it is. The drawers look like they've made 3" wide planks out of maybe 5 layers of wood. I believe the salesman said the planks were "glues and cold clamped".

I can't tell what the bed is made of: although the salesman says it's all birch ply, I have no way of telling. Could it be MDF w/ veneer, and does it matter?

Here are some pictures if it helps. (sorry, the picture of the dovetailing is blurry)
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	6341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	6342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	194.7 KB