Thread: H&M 1080 "Sami" recliner (lounger?) Has anyone sat in one?

DecisionsDecisions Guest

Default H&M 1080 "Sami" recliner (lounger?) Has anyone sat in one?

I like the look of this recliner, A LOT. It's new, to my understanding. In my area there is only one H&M retailer. They don't have it. They had 3 recliners to see and try out. 1) The Woodbridge. It was ultra comfortable and fit us pretty well (Hubby is 5'10+ and I am 5'1"+ so that might not be easy to find) The styling however was not what I have, or want, in my family room. Hubby loved the traditional look, but I still felt based on the rest of the room it would look stocky, bulky, oversized, and had more of a "den" or "library" feel against our skirted fabric sofa's. 2) The Oslo. Sat in it all of a couple of seconds, I knew right away it was not comfy enough, and the style was wrong. 3) The Grayson (spelling?) Bustle Back. Styling was more in line, however a tad on the modern side but both my husband and I found it less comfortable, stiff and hard actually (at least compared to the Woodbridge). It could have been that it was brand new and not yet broken in. It was hard to push back and well, we just weren't feeling it. There was another couple shopping for recliners at the same time and were going back and forth from the Woodbridge to the Grayson, which were back to back in the showroom. They actually found the Grayson to be more comfortable. Different strokes. I've heard the Grayson is one of H&M's best selling recliners so maybe it's just us.

We purchased a set of recliners from a Designer based on a picture and recommendation and have not been happy with them. (Not H&M) They aren't UNCOMFORTABLE, but although being assured the fabric was extremely durable, they are thread-bare in spots and the cushions have been replaced several times over a 2 year period. We aren't rough on furniture and there are no children in the house. No pets. The designer is working with the manufacturer to find a resolution. My hope they will take back the chairs (which I originally tried to tell them the problem was not the cushions but the fabric) and at least issue a refund (at least a partial one) I am so over the problems with these chairs! I would like to replace them with a quality, comfortable H&M pair.

I called the next largest town, with 5 H&M retailers, none of which have the Sami either. They all have the Grayson and the Woodbridge, but there were about 3 three others we could try if we make the 2.5 hr drive. The style on a couple of them seemed as though they MIGHT fit in. I still love the look of the Sami though.

So, if anyone has sat in this new recliner, can you tell me your experience. I know everyone has their own idea of comfort, so this is very subjective. The Sami has a look I love, it SEEMS to be a little cushier than the Grayson, but less than the Woodbridge. I am afraid to take the plunge on another recliner I can't sit in before buying, at least not without asking around…….

Anyone?

Default Re: H&M 1080 "Sami" recliner (lounger?) Has anyone sat in one?

The "1080" Sami is a new-market introduction from April, and not yet in distribution anywhere. Only dealers that went to Market would have tried it out / seen it, and its nearly impossible to recall a comfort level on a chair when you try out about one thousand in a day, been there - done that. Even for dealers that ordered the recliner at Market, it likely will not be landing in their stores until sometime in August (typical of new intros) at the earliest. Short of going to Hickory NC to the H&M factory for a tour when one is coming off the line, I don't see how you are going to find one any time soon, sorry.

I've never heard of any manufacturer accepting a return or issuing a partial credit/refund on 2-year old used Recliners. I don't think that's going to happen for you quite honestly.

Good luck in your search.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

DecisionsDecisions Guest

Thanks for the clarification on the Sami. I assumed if they were available for purchase, they would be available somewhere to see them even if not in my immediate area, but it makes sense now that I know it's THAT new.

And for my long winded vent….. ;-)

As far as the existing recliners, I would say I'd agree with you if I hadn't brought up the issue regarding the fabric within a few months of taking delivery. I tried to tell them my concerns (fabric vs.cushion cores) they had their own opinions. Although I disagreed I tried very hard to let them be the professionals. They know the business and various problems & solutions (and just for the record, everyone agreed there WAS a problem) K've been very patient. After the 2nd core replacement, I even decided if it didn't deteriorate TOO, too much, I would just live with it. I don't like conflict. However, the way they have held up is flat out unacceptable. My mom's no name, made in china, "dime store" recliner is about 5 years old and looks the same as the day she bought it. She sits in it exclusively. It's comfortable, but less stylish.

I, however, decided to buy a handcrafted, made to order, quality recliner from a manufacturer in North Carolina so I would have a lovely piece of furniture for years to come (and paid dearly for it) and had problems right out of the gate. I should add that I had a similar issue occur with the higher end sofas we bought from another NC furniture maker. The welts on the cushions of both Sofa AND Apartment Sofa started shifting out of place soon after taking delivery. The retailer came out and agreed it wasn't "right" and replaced the cores. The same issue cropped up again soon after and I had the retailer back out. They agreed it was most likely the fabric and took both pieces back and we reordered in new fabric. Fast Forward 5 years, both pieces have had no issues since, there is no wear on the fabric and the welts are perfectly aligned. It was the fabric.

Just because this company decided to try economical solutions on the recliners first, that isn't my problem. I tried to be accommodating rather than demanding. Also, for the record, the Designer agrees it's not acceptable and believes I have every right to be frustrated. Time will tell if that makes a darn bit of difference.

That said, you are probably right…even though I feel I deserve to be compensated (I couldn't sell these things for more than 50 bucks I bet) in some fashion, I will be surprised if they want to take ownership of the problem and make it right. I hope I'm wrong.

Unless a miracle happens, I will keep looking at H&M as replacements.

Thanks!!

Marjflowers Guest

I cannot highly enough recommend going to Hancock and Moore for the tour. I did so as a last resort, not being able to find the model I wanted ANYWHERE! The tour with Jimmy Moore was awesome, and seeing how they make furniture and the pride they exude in doing good work sealed the deal. Knowing and seeing firsthand how they do business made me feel good about the purchase. Yes, I got a beautiful chair, and yes, I am confident it will last for years. But I also feel great about H&M's values -- how they treat their employees and their passion for excellence that was so evident during the tour. I don't know if I would have truly known that without seeing it for myself.

Hickory is only about an hour from Asheville, so it was a great little getaway -- a day at Biltmore, shops and restaurants downtown, my personal favorite, the Folk Art Center, great sister time, and an obliging brother-in-law to do the driving. A win all the way around!

DecisionsDecisions Guest

That's sounds great, but I'm in the PNW and it would be quite the trip for me! I'm waiting to see what happens (if anything, I know it's a big longshot) with the current recliner issue before I get serious about the H&M's. The Sami seems like a great compromise between what I like and what my husband wants. Eventually SOMEONE will get one in and hopefully report on it. Enjoy that beautiful chair!

Here's what you *can* do. Call Hancock and Moore direct at 828-495-8235. Ask for Gloria and tell her Duane suggested you call. Give her the model number (# 1080 Sami) and ask her if any dealers in your state have one on order. She can look at the build manifest from Spring Market and tell you if there is one headed your way at any of the area dealers. Note that most the time I will NOT suggest you call H&M direct, but this is an exception.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

DecisionsDecisions Guest

I just might do that after I get word from the Designer. Thanks for the contact info!

tufts0207 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DecisionsDecisions View Post
    I just might do that after I get word from the Designer. Thanks for the contact info!
    I know this thread is a couple months old, but if you're still looking for input on this recliner I just checked it out locally here. It was the perfect balance of traditional but not too traditional and not too bulky like most other recliners. I'm 6'3 and my wife is 5'4 and we both found it very comfortable (nearly the most comfortable we tried out). I don't think you can directly compare it to the bulky recliners because those are like sitting on piles of pillows. This one fit like a glove and was just right as far as appearance and comfort. We will probably purchase this piece in the next few weeks. I wouldn't hesitate if you like the look.