Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

  1. #1
    Trogdor Guest

    Default Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    My wife and I just moved into a new house. I was told my one of our local furniture guys that Stickley Furniture is of very high quality and that if we want something that is "solid wood" (not all wood), Stickley is a safe bet. As a result, we went to the only Stickley store in NJ (Stickley & Audi in Paramus - there maybe another dealer now but this is the only one we could find.).

    In any event, we love the Mission stuff but the prices are well...insane...or are they?

    Example, the Mission table and chairs (6 or 8) are listed MSRP of 12k, on the floor for 10k, but with a 40% sale, it's 6k. My guess is if we bought a lot of stuff in one shot we could potentially haggle that down to 5k or less. Or can we? The thing is we talked to one of the sales guy/interior designers and he told us that we are eligible for a complimentary visit to help us choose our furniture, give us a floorplan, and ensure our happiness BUT we may think our budget and their prices don't match.

    We want to furnish a living room, dining room, and maybe a foyer. Our budget is around 15-20k. Am I way OFF and Stickley would really cost us DOUBLE that or are we within range? Are we wasting our time?

    HELP!

    PS. If not Stickley, then or next stop is probably gonna be Gat Creek, since from what I understand that is also solid wood (mainly cherry) and built in the US (WV and Ohio).
    Last edited by Trogdor; 08-11-2014 at 06:43 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    13,529

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    Every dealer sets their own prices - as a general rule (VERY general) if they are trotting out the MSRP book, a 50% off discount is an aggressive discount for you from a brick and mortar store. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

  3. #3
    Trogdor Guest

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Every dealer sets their own prices - as a general rule (VERY general) if they are trotting out the MSRP book, a 50% off discount is an aggressive discount for you from a brick and mortar store. Good luck!
    Keep in mind the 40% is their discount, not mine. So how does THAT work?

    EDIT: So I read some of your posts DC, and I was curious why you don't care Stickley? It would seem to be right up your alley. I looked at the lines you do carry and Treharn looks promising too (I assume that is true, solid wood construction made in the USA right? The problem here is we've never seen a piece by Treharn so there is that.)
    Last edited by Trogdor; 08-11-2014 at 06:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    13,529

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    Perhaps you mis-read my post or I didn't clarify. If a store is showing you the MSRP of an item in a retail price book, and they discount it 50% off that MSRP, then that's not a bad price for you to work from in buying from brick and mortar. At one time (2007) I made an inquiry into carrying Stickley when the Wash DC area dealer that had the line went bankrupt, but they (Stickley) dismissed my business as 'too small' and not worthy of the line. So that, was that.

    Treharn is better made than Stickley in my opinion. Stickley has good designs in their niche and a strong brand name - but its nothing special.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

  5. #5
    Trogdor Guest

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Perhaps you mis-read my post or I didn't clarify. If a store is showing you the MSRP of an item in a retail price book, and they discount it 50% off that MSRP, then that's not a bad price for you to work from in buying from brick and mortar. At one time (2007) I made an inquiry into carrying Stickley when the Wash DC area dealer that had the line went bankrupt, but they (Stickley) dismissed my business as 'too small' and not worthy of the line. So that, was that.

    Treharn is better made than Stickley in my opinion. Stickley has good designs in their niche and a strong brand name - but its nothing special.
    In terms of Stickley my wife and I agree with you. It's nothing special but it is well made. 10k well made? Not on your life.

    Let me ask you this then, what's the difference between say Treharn and Gat Creek? Both seem to be similar in terms of solid wood construction and a lot of options.

  6. #6
    needstuff Guest

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    IIRC The mission-style furniture at Stickley is indeed pricey. But they also offer other more contemporary styles. Moreover their store near me carries furniture by many other makers too, including Baker, Sherrill, Ekornes, Hancock & Moore (IIRC), Taylor King, etc. Their pricing for these seemed to me to be be similar to that of the other brick & mortar stores around here.

    My recent sofa search ended in a Stickley sofa, one of the newer models. It wasn't cheap but it was less than their Mission style offerings. We had trouble finding a fabric we liked, from many of the other makers, to go with our dark blue H&M chair. But the Stickley fabric we ultimately found looks great with it (IMO). Otherwise I wouldn't claim anything uniquely great about it, it just happened to be the one my wife liked the look of, and liked sitting in, at the end of the day, when we got tired of looking more. And (I think) made in NY, keep those tax dollars and employment at home!!
    Last edited by needstuff; 08-12-2014 at 02:14 AM.

  7. #7
    Trogdor Guest

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by needstuff View Post
    IIRC The mission-style furniture at Stickley is indeed pricey. But they also offer other more contemporary styles. Moreover their store near me carries furniture by many other makers too, including Baker, Sherrill, Ekornes, Hancock & Moore (IIRC), Taylor King, etc. Their pricing for these seemed to me to be be similar to that of the other brick & mortar stores around here.

    My recent sofa search ended in a Stickley sofa, one of the newer models. It wasn't cheap but it was less than their Mission style offerings. We had trouble finding a fabric we liked, from many of the other makers, to go with our dark blue H&M chair. But the Stickley fabric we ultimately found looks great with it (IMO). Otherwise I wouldn't claim anything uniquely great about it, it just happened to be the one my wife liked the look of, and liked sitting in, at the end of the day, when we got tired of looking more. And (I think) made in NY, keep those tax dollars and employment at home!!
    Do you mind me asking what was the price or even more importantly, what was the mark down from the asking?

  8. #8
    needstuff Guest

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    IIRC the mark-down was 40%. That's about what the "higher end" brick & mortar stores around here will do, so far as I found when I was looking. when they are not on "sale" they are more like 30-35% IIRC. The stores we looked at, that is.

    On the plus side, the Stickley salesperson helped us a lot with selection and fabric, beyond what we would likely have been able to do over the phone. We benefitted from that help, for this particular purchase. The salespeople who helped us there seemed to me to be above the norm, based on what/who I encountered elsewhere. And of course we actually sat in examples of the various sofas.

    Of course we would have welcomed the opportunity to pay less, but such opportunity did not leap out at us for this particular purchase. We had a lot of trouble settling on something to buy. It was worth an additional 10% to put us out of our misery, frankly. It would be different if we knew what we wanted without utilizing in-store sales assistance and actual examples to sit on. We tried going that route for a long time, but at the end of the day we were still without a new sofa. So we said screw it, let's do it "the old-fashioned way". Which worked, in short order. At some additional expense, no doubt.
    Last edited by needstuff; 08-12-2014 at 11:22 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    13,529

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    Let me ask you this then, what's the difference between say Treharn and Gat Creek? Both seem to be similar in terms of solid wood construction and a lot of options.

    Its been a few years since I've looked at Gat Creek, so to be perfectly honest I'd have to see their current lineup of product. I think they have a more 'production' look to their pieces with conventional finishes and narrow board construction, however I think its a well-made product. They work in different woods, too. Treharn is a cherry and tiger maple house, Gat Creek is maple and cherry. One of Treharn's "claims to fame" is their vibrant figured maple (Tiger Maple).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

  10. #10
    Cookie Guest

    Default Re: Stickley Furniture prices are confusing me, how to budget?

    RE: The difference between Treharn and Gat Creek.

    I recently purchased a Treharn bed frame (the Sheraton Bed) from Duane. It was very well built, 100% solid wood, straightforward traditional joinery, strong and steady.

    Initially I was very interested in the bed frames made by Gat Creek, mostly because of the style and the wood species they use. Husband and I liked the Franklin Bed, in particular. I asked the manufacturer for some close-up shots of the disassembled frame, and noticed that they use a "hook and cleat" system, which I read isn't the best.

    Ultimately, husband and I decided to play safe, since this is not an inexpensive purchase, plus we want it to last beautifully for our lifetime. We are glad we went with the Treharn bed.

Similar Threads

  1. Can You Get High Point Prices from a Local Furniture Dealer
    By woodsidequeen in forum Customer Reviews & Shipping Information
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
  2. Shopping for Furniture on a Budget
    By Jesse Holmz in forum The Lobby
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 08:14 PM
  3. Stickley Furniture Discounts
    By woodsidequeen in forum Wood Case Goods, and Chairs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM
  4. Leather Furniture that will withstand multiple moves on a budget
    By MagicHour in forum Leather Upholstery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
  5. Stickley Furniture - Is it possible to buy out of state
    By tds1 in forum Fabric Upholstery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 01:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •