Thread: Questions about the BY Reid reclining sofa

DawnW Guest

Default Questions about the BY Reid reclining sofa

We are strongly considering the Bradington-Young Reid dual reclining sofa and we have a couple of questions:

1. Regarding the power recline mechanism: Does it allow you to recline in increments? Specifically, does it first raise your legs without reclining your back, then start reclining your back?

2. Is it comfortable to sit on even if you're not reclining? Is the middle seat comfortable? One of us tends to sit there on our current sofa, so we need comfort there.

Thank you very much for any responses! I'm sure it comes as so surprise to anyone that we haven't been able to find any BY dealer within reasonable driving distance who has this model on their floor. If only we lived closer to The Keeping Room!

Dawn

Default Re: Questions about the BY Reid reclining sofa

The power recline model lets you stop the movement anywhere in the range by simply releasing the switch. You cannot control the footrest independently of the back, however, so while the footrest is coming up the back will be shifting at the same time. That is true of all motion power recliners to my knowledge.

Comfort is subjective. That's a sticky wicket to get into so you would have to try one for yourself. I have both the manual 912 and a power unit 912 in my store, but I see you are in Arizona so its a bit far to come to test. If its any help, I would buy one for myself if I was looking for a dual recliner sofa or sectional.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

DawnW Guest

Default Re: Questions about the BY Reid reclining sofa

Thanks, Duane! I'm still not sold on the idea of recliners again, so I'm trying to gather information. I'd prefer a non-motion piece with ottomans, but I'm negotiating with two other people who want recliners.

We will get to sit in an Austin chair this week (in a consignment shop), so that might sway us strongly in that direction. I'm thinking the high back sofa. I'll call for a quote on that one. We're also considering the BY Tabor and Radley. We want shorter (20") seat depths and heights as no one in this house is tall, and we're looking for something with the back pitched more upright, so that all makes it extra fun .

Thanks again!

Dawn