Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Similar Display Case

Zoolie Guest

Default Similar Display Case

Howdy guys! this is my first post
    I am looking for a display case similar to the picture attached. I've been looking everywhere and cannot find anything comparable. I guess the main issue I am having is size— I need it to be really long (longer than 6 feet). I am not looking for anything modern, I found websites that can create those custom any size but thats just not the style I am looking for. Any ideas of where I can find one?
    Best!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2014-08-28 at 9.47.01 AM.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	6480  

Default Re: Similar Display Case

That almost looks like a commercial piece (retail display case). Likely you might have to have one custom made. There is a structural issue with long runs on a piece such as that and if I were building that we would want a vertical center support at the midpoint of that case. To take something like that out to 72" or longer will result in a bowed & sagging piece without center supports. Good luck in your search.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Zoolie Guest

Thanks for your reply! I am totally open to going custom route. Is this something you do?
    Best!

Yes, you can take a look at the work here on the forum by John Buchanan, he's whom would make it if you contracted with my store. He's a master cabinentmaker and it would be done right. Not cheaply, but right! I assume there is tempered glass in the side panels all the way around. Probably looking at $ 3K or so as a ballpark number in your choice of woods.
    Duane Collie

Note, Buchanan would be somebody you would normally approach for an all-wood piece, whereas the image you posted is of a table that is made primarily of metal.

Zoolie Guest

That sounds pretty good. Do you have a website? I tried searching for John Buchanan on the forums but not much luck for images.
    If the display case was made to about 100", do you have any idea how it would be shipped and what the costs for that would be? I am located in New York City.
    I do not really know what tempered glass is on the side panels or what that means
    How would the design process work? would I sign off on a 3D rendering before it gets built, and how long would it take to build?
    Thanks again!

Zoolie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Note, Buchanan would be somebody you would normally approach for an all-wood piece, whereas the image you posted is of a table that is made primarily of metal.
    Thanks Aaron! Yes I would need it to be metal or mostly metal. The space its going in has too much wood going on and there is the wood flooring as well.
    Drcollie is that something feasible to do?

Ah! I missed that...if this piece is metal than I don't have a custom source to make it, sorry. If you are in the NYC area, I'm sure you can locate someone who can build that for you in the area. Google is your friend.
    Duane Collie

Zoolie Guest

No worries@ and thanks for all your feedback! do you by chance happen to know anyone who is able to work with metal/glass?

Zoolie Guest

I called a few places today but they are all charging me obscene amounts.... 20-30k..........