Thread: Thinking of the Sadler recliner

Tater Guest

Default Thinking of the Sadler recliner

I just got a new McNary sofa in Tuscany Saddle and really like it. The leather is better than I'd imagined from the pictures and sample, a nice rich looking reddish brown. The McNary lives up to my expectations with style, craftsmanship and comfort. Real quality.

Now I'm looking for a recliner with the Sadler first on my list. I know it's Duane's favorite and it sure looks comfortable. I'm wondering how the 2 styles with look together and whether I should mix or match the leather. And of course whether it will fit me. I welcome all comments for I'm decorating challenged to say the least.

Default Re: Thinking of the Sadler recliner

My two cents is that the McNary sofa is such an outstanding high-end "Style" piece that it will take center-stage in your room while the Sadler recliner would also look high-end but also extreme comfort. In other words to me they would compliment each other very nicely. There is no way that they would have to be the same leather to look great in the same room. I would go for a "mix" of leather covers rather than an identical "match" and tend to look for something in the Sadler that at least doesn't conflict with the McNary sofa leather. There are indeed so many choices that you may want to either go to a dealer that has a piece with your Tuscany Saddle among other H&M leathers or send for some samples of your array of favorite choices, such that you can place them on your McNary sofa. Knowing that samples and the final furniture piece may not be identical, you will just be insuring that the leathers will not compete or conflict. In any event I see the two styles clearly complimenting each other very nicely.

Tater Guest

Thanks wisejd. I was tempted to just pick the same leather for both but your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I found this picture in the Photos section of the Sadler in Sedona Almond that is very interesting. I have a sample of Sedona Harness but not Almond. The Harness is closer to the color of the McNary with less contrast. It is difficult for me to know which I'd prefer, high contrast or low contrast.

I think the high contrast vs. more of a blend may depend on the entire room decor. If there is quite a bit of light and dark contrast in the room, yet it is balanced overall, then the high contrast on the sofa and recliner works well. On the other hand if there is an overall deeper tone quality to the entire room then a blend within the room's tone range would workout well. The flooring could be important to the overall contrast, particularly if there are oriental carpets, SouthWestern rugs, etc. If you plan for pillows on the McNary sofa, they can help build on the blend or the higher contrast between the recliner and the sofa. With the size of the McNary sofa, a 20 X 20 couple of pillows could pull the flooring and the furniture together well. We also keep a comfortable throw on or near our H&M leather sofa during the winter months (and sometimes when the air conditioning is making it feel like winter).

Tater Guest

You suggestions are helping me organize my thoughts on this.

The room is carpeted with a light carpet of brown beige with specks of rust mainly. Walls are a light neutral grayish green which can washout in the light. Woodwork is reddish brown and complements the color of the McNary. Furniture is eclectic mix of dark finishes. Basically the room is light with darker trim and furniture including the McNary.

I have a sample of Tiburon Toffee, love those pull ups, which also takes on the worn weathered look in the sample photo above but a very little bit darker than the Sedona Almond going by H&M leather page sample pictures. The Tiburon Toffee sample is darker than the shade of the carpet and of course lighter than the Tuscany Saddle of the McNary.

Tiburon Toffee
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TiburonToffee_thumb.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	6494

Tuscany Saddle

Name:	TuscanySaddle_thumb.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	6495

Sedona Harness

Name:	SedonaHarness_thumb.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	6496

Sedona Almond

Name:	SedonaAlmond_thumb.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	6497
    Last edited by Tater; 09-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.

I personally like all these together, and as such won't be of much help I'm afraid. It is interesting how the small sample of the Sedona Almond looks like it has a yellowish hue while the photo of the Sadler recliner doesn't show that at all. I actually love the color shown in the recliner photo with the Tuscany Saddle, while I would like the yellowish or gold-tome a little less given the total room decor as you describe it.

Tater Guest

I agree with the yellow not being the best match. My Tiburon Toffee sample has a bit of brown but goes yellow when stressed, not good. My Sedona Harness sample is of the same color family as the Tuscany Saddle on the McNary but lighter. That would be a safer bet but wonder if it contrasts sufficiently. This where I am challenged.

I thank you, you've help me make some progress.

You mention Tiburon above, but I am pretty sure it has been discontinued.

See this Sadler in Tiburon Toffee - "simply buttah".

I wish this leather was still available.

Name:	Screenshot 2014-09-28 09.50.41.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	6558

Sometimes when the leather is no longer available at H&M, it was simply a 'color delete' due to slow sales, it may not necessarily be dropped from the supplier. Since Tiburon is still active, I assume the Toffee color is probably still available as a special order. That means they can order the hide for your project with two caveats: 1) there is usually an additional handling charge to special order leather 2) you cannot cancel the order once the hide has been shipped.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.