Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utah Recliner vs Sundance & Weymuth - Help us with our decision & thinking

Default Re: Utah Recliner vs Sundance & Weymuth - Help us with our decision & thinking

Quote Originally Posted by sarends View Post
    Duane,

My wife and I had a long discussion. We are definitely going to leave the TV over the mantle, but we want to re-design the mantle and integrate the TV into the scheme so it is as attractive as possible. And, we also highly favor adding an additional TV as shown in the top down floor plan at the beginning of this thread.

Sorry, I know this is limiting!
    Here is something you may want to consider, a 'down and out' tv mount, that lets you pull the TV out and bring it down for watching. I'm a big fan of these and have one similar in my house. These are not inexpensive mounts, but they work well.

http://www.dynamicmounting.com/firep...content-phase1

As to the furniture layout, I've spent a bit of time looking at the rooms and I think what I would probably do if it were my house and I wanted several seats, AND two TV's is on the room on the left, use an L-Shaped Sectional with leather ottoman in front of it, then keep that Flat panel where it is. On the room on the right (off the kitchen) I'd do a sofa along the far left wall, and then a pair of swivel recliners in front of the mantle where the TV is.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-14-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Utah Recliner vs Sundance & Weymuth - Help us with our decision & thinking

Duane, I have been trying to picture your recommendation. Here are our thoughts:

1) We don't like sectionals - (to date)
    2) We like to think of the South room as a bit of a library - even though I realize that our placement of the 2nd TV there seems counter to this being a library. We envision two "His and Her" Utah Recliners on the west wall (of this south room) and a "pretty" tufted loveseat to sit below the picture frame mounted flatscreen (which is on the east wall of the south room).
    3) And, in the north room - the "far left wall" you mention isn't a wall - it is the opening between the south room and the north room. Is it possible that what you are calling north, south, etc. is not what I am calling north, south etc.?

Perhaos this will help - in the top down diagram that I drew, north is on the right and south is on the left. Also, the fireplace is on the west wall. I am wondering if you are thinking that North is on the top of the diagram? This makes sense as this is how most diagrams are referenced.

Thx! Steve

I am curious as to the fireplace ever having a fire in it? If not, I am liking your idea of expanding downward your TV area and framing a new LED TV. The then Non-Working fireplace could still look warm and cozy yet the TV would be improved for viewing. I think a few concept drawings could help demonstrate how that would look. On the other hand if this is a fireplace you build fires in, all bets are off. It may be possible however to still lower the mantle a bit. I know your primary interest is furniture and furniture placement, but the TV issue has grabbed and monopolized my attention.

The TV over the fireplace will stay. DW enjoys her (TV watching) vantage point too much from the kitchen.

Re. fire in the fireplace - it is a gas unit, and we occasionally use it.

Duane, the "Down and Out" mount is a great idea! We are going to look into the framed LED TV option a bit more. One concern I have with the framed TV is that, if mounted tightly, it would (almost) certainly trap heat around the TV. However, I think it could still work - the frame would be attached to the frame of the TV and when we want the TV to "look" as good as possible, the TV would be off and the TV placed back against the wall as far as possible. However, I envision the TV being able to be moved out away from the wall, the frame along with it, and at minimum tilted for better viewing. Perhaps the Down and Out Mount would work as long as the gas fireplace is not used in conjunction with the TV. And, that would not be a problem for us as we do not use the gas fireplace except to warm up the room slightly on extremely cold days.

So, we are still favoring a TV in each room, placed on diagonal walls, running parallel.

I think we are planning to wait until our local dealer is having their big sale at the end of October to place our order(s). There are a few configurations we are imagining, and of course, they all have different budgets. One challenge we are having is answering the question, "how much leather is too much"? In the above pictures you can see the two BY recliners - the material is very tired looking after 10 years of use whereas the BY sofa and loveseat still look quite good. And, to tell the truth, I have regretted the fabric BY recliners since day one because, "I prefer the look and feel of leather" ESP. in the chair that I sit in EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE. Whoops, was I shouting?

So here are some possible new additions to the above room(s):

Scenario 1 - leave the BY Sofa and loveseat
    Add:

1. Add Weymuth or Elliott (mine) and Woodbridge (hers) recliners in north (fireplace) room.
    2. Add (2) Utah Recliners in south (library) room
    3. Add (1) "pretty" loveseat in the south (library) room, across from Utah recliners

Scenario 2 - Leave the BY loveseat

1. Replace BY sofa with dual reclining Austin Loveseat (in order to make room for Weymuth sitting beside it)
    2. Add Weymuth or Elliott (mine) and Woodbridge (hers) recliners in north (fireplace) room.
    3. Add (2) Utah Recliners in south (library) room
    4. Add (1) "pretty" loveseat in the south (library) room

Scenario 3 - Replace entire room contents (gulp $$)

1. Replace BY sofa with Power reclining Sundance Sofa in North (fireplace) Room
    2. Add (2) Utah Recliners in north (fireplace) room
    3. Add Weymuth or Elliott (mine) and Woodbridge (hers) recliners in south (library) room.
    4. Add (1) "pretty" loveseat in the south (library) room
    5. Add Another piece of furniture (another "pretty" loveseat or a small game table or (2) "pretty" smaller chairs, at north end of north (fireplace) room

Ideas to add fabric:

Pillows
    Fabric Ottoman
    Weymuth and Woodbridge done in leather with flamestitch fabric sides
    (2) "Pretty" fabric smaller chairs on north side of north (fireplace) room

As always, I greatly welcome everyone's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
    I am curious as to the fireplace ever having a fire in it? If not, I am liking your idea of expanding downward your TV area and framing a new LED TV. The then Non-Working fireplace could still look warm and cozy yet the TV would be improved for viewing. I think a few concept drawings could help demonstrate how that would look. On the other hand if this is a fireplace you build fires in, all bets are off. It may be possible however to still lower the mantle a bit. I know your primary interest is furniture and furniture placement, but the TV issue has grabbed and monopolized my attention.

wdavis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarends View Post
    Fearless Leader,

Here is a diagram of our proposed furniture layout. All items would be new except one Bradington Young loveseat and one of the four recliners. The existing loveseat is a beautiful red - much the same color as the couch on the myfurniture.com homepage. The one existing recliner is a cheap (paid $1,000 and wish we hadn't wasted out money) brown leather wingback recliner we bought a couple years ago for our home office.

The flat screen above the mantle on the top right is currently in place. We are planning to add the flatscreen on the lower left (above the loveseat) and it will only run in parallel to the existing flatscreen. The new flatscreen will be installed in a wooden picture frame. Overall room size is 32' a 14'.

Can anyone tell me what room planning software was used to generate this layout? If not, can you point me to your go-to software?

Thank you.

That is the Icovia Room Planner. It's a module that Icovia sells to furniture companies and is attached to their websites for a fee, allowing customers to use it for free. Too expensive for me to have it, but a number of the major companies do. Here's just one site that offers it, attached to the Lane Furniture website:

http://lanefurniture.icovia.com
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

wdavis Guest

Thanks Duane!