Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hancock and Morre unprotected leather

needstuff Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Morre unprotected leather

I dont know why you presume the H&M would cost more. The Stickley leather pieces I saw in their store here were pretty pricey, IIRC. One can obviously price those particular pieces and get the answer, one way or the other. But the answer is not obvious to me beforehand, after having shopped for couches recently.

My impression is consistent with #8 above, they have lots of case goods and do not crank out tons of leather seating pieces, outside of their mission line. I, for one, assumed that's probably why they use H&M to supplement. Similarly they do not produce much in the way of scandinavian (or whatever it is) style furniture, that's likely why they sell Ekorness to cover that base. IMO. *Not* because Ekorness is "better quality" than their own production, but rather that their own production in that vein is limited. (or non-existent, as the case may be).

I, for one, did not conclude from this that the pieces that they did produce were necessarily, or obviously, "worse quality".
    I thought it was more about supplementing their offerings.

One point that may be relevant is, their stores are not "Stickley", they are "Stickley Audi". Back in the day, EJ Audi was an old line, high quality retailer of multiple upper-level furniture lines, such as Baker, Hickory Chair, etc. I bought furniture at EJ Audi myself, many years ago. I guess Audi invested in or bought Stickley, at some point. But Audi probably never abandoned their role as a retailer of multiple lines. Stickley is highly (over)-represented in their store, but they sell multiple other lines as well. Not just H&M. Many others. Their store here is huge. They are not necessarily so constrained by floor space as to be limited to only one line in each price/quality point they target. I imagine.
    Last edited by needstuff; 09-17-2014 at 04:31 AM.

Sorry ...H&M being higher priced than BY. Stickley is another matter in that I have indeed seen leather pieces at higher prices than H&M. Bottom line for me is that if one can afford it H&M offers an exceptional value over the life of the furniture.

xuzst1 Guest

Thanks so much for all of the responses. Two weeks ago I didn't know the first thing about high-quality leather sofas and was rather intimated by all the choices. After a few nights of crash course on this forum, I am this much more illuminated...

That's what the forum is here for...to educate and inform! Glad you found it helpful.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

H&M for the win. Loving my Austin High Back Tilt Back Chair! Now to get one in that awesome GR 4 Capri!