Thread: Restoration Hardware Alternatives

strawberryfanta Guest

Default Restoration Hardware Alternatives

Hi, I was *THIS CLOSE* to buying an 8 ft RH Belgian Track Arm sofa in Berkshire Cocoa leather today... but, the price ($4500 on sale) coupled with the quality and customer service issues I've heard about with this company are giving me serious pause. My husband LOVED the Belgian track arm in store (we only sat on the linen version). We really liked the depth and the single cushion seat (no cracks to fall into!). FYI - this is our first couch-buying experience. We want something good quality for the price, but we don't necessarily expect it to last 25 years either.

So. What are our alternatives? I see that Casco Bay furniture left some negative impressions with folks here. I was also looking into the Comfortable Couch Company. We're in MD so we could visit the Keeping Room, but DH is pretty sick of trying out couches at this point, so I want to be sure before suggesting any more trips..

I'm guessing an 8 ft leather H&M is way out of our price range of $3000-4000.. Are there alternatives you'd suggest that offer better quality and similar comfort to the RH Belgian Track Arm? I looked at the H&M website but I am overwhelmed.. wayyyyyy too many styles to look through. We just want something with the RH look - deep cushion, straight arms... comfy and good quality, soft, matte leather...

We've looked in a ton of local stores but have yet to find anything that combined comfort with the style we were looking for (until we sat on the RH sofa). Everything in Room & Board, Arhaus, Ethan Allen, Pottery Barn, and Crate and Barrel was uncomfortable. Z-Gallerie seemed cheap (but I'm no expert of course). Our local Hamilton's sofa gallery had a very comfortable reclining Palliser that we almost bought, but ultimately decided it wasn't what we were really looking for style-wise. Nothing else in the store passed my husband's comfort test. I know we tried other places that I'm forgetting, too... We have been looking for over a year now.

The other issue is that we really want to get this sofa by early November. We have family coming to stay with us, and our current futon has to become a guest bed by then. Yikes! Help? Should we just order the RH?

strawberryfanta Guest

Default Re: Restoration Hardware Alternatives

You can read my thoughts about Restoration Hardware at this link and decide for yourself:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ware-Furniture

Unless you are buying off the floor, you will really be pushing it to get anything by early November unless you get moving pretty quickly on your order and request a quick ship (also you will have to select a leather that is in stock). You can get into selected H&M pieces at your price point if you stay in the Town & Country collection, and not go into the mainstream frames. I have that promotion posted here on the forum in the LEATHER section.

Most sofas are not super-deep like RH. Industry averages are 20" to 23" (interior depth) while RH tend to be 29" to 30". Those super-deep sofas are great for napping, but not the best if you are going to sit upright, they're too deep. One piece cushions have their own issues 1) They will stretch MUCH more over time than a piece that has 2 or 3 cushions. When the piece is 5 to 6 years old you will be able to grab a loose piece of leather in your hand and its rather unsightly. 2) The cushion will tend to get lumpy and also 'fly up' at the ends

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Alim4585 Guest

This forum is amazing. I am an avid researcher, choosing not to buy something until I am confident I've made a solid choice. Still, I've made mistakes and will likely make more in the future, due to time constraints, budget, etc. This site is one of those rare jewels that is ideal for a guy like me.

I've learned quite a bit, looking into furniture and then discovering and reading in this forum the past few weeks. I am just about ready to make a decision, but am still torn between H&M and B-Y. My nature says wait a bit and spring for the H&M, but I am having trouble with that, because of the fact that we've decided on a sectional, and they naturally cost a bit more.

I'm going to have to shoot you a call soon, Duane. I'm in Seattle, but based on my dealings at the local furniture stores here, I cannot imagine buying from anyone other than yourself. You've earned the sale, and I haven't even spoken to you yet!

Thank you for this forum and for the way that you treat folks. It does not go unnoticed, nor unappreciated.

Dakhil