Thread: Smaller scale furniture

kawhite68 Guest

Default Smaller scale furniture

We have the same living room furniture we purchased in 1975. Obviously the quality is good but after this many years I would love something new. The problem I keep running into is size. Everything seems to be designed to fit in large homes with large rooms. We have a small home & the living room isn't very large. Both depth & length of pieces are a prime concern. Upholstered pieces are preferable to leather but I'm open to either. Our style is clean lined & somewhat contemporary. We live in a rural area but do drive into Portland, OR a few times each year. Does anyone have suggestions for manufacturers we should look at?

Thank you, Kathy

Hi Kathy, there is a definite trend right now among the more progressive makers to focus on smaller scale pieces. Typically they will be referred to as "Studio" or "Apartment" collections in a maker's line.

Of the lines I'm familiar with, Hancock and Moore offers a pretty good depth of product in compact or smaller sizes. Every piece shown in leather is also available in fabric as well. Here's a couple pieces I like, but certainly you can explore their website and find even more:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1837

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1516

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1358

As far as where to go on the West Coast, I'm 2,000 miles away so I'm afraid I can't be any assistance in that regard.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kawhite68 Guest

Default Thanks

I checked out your suggestions but unfortunately they all are quite deep - 41". Our living room is also quite narrow and I need to take that into consideration. The sofa we have now is less than 36" deep which is ideal.

I appreciate your help.

Kathy

soster Guest

Contemporary makers are a good source for smaller sofas. The clean lines of many contemporary styles come from straight arms that aren't very thick - which also results in smaller sofas. In your area find a Jaymar or Rowe dealer. Palliser has a few styles also.

Sofas less than 36" deep are almost impossible to find. Weiman makes one, its 103" long however. It requires a tight-back design that is also short. Most sofas from the makers I mentioned will be 36" or 37" deep. If you MUST have the narrow depth you're used to, then get your sofas reupholstered.

kawhite68 Guest

Default Thanks, I'll take a look

Our existing furniture, reupholstered once, has it's shallow depth because of the design. It has oak frames with cushions that are not attached. The actual depth is 33" but because of the sofa's length there is only one place to put it - looking for flexibility. I did look into a custom build but the expense was more than I could handle. I'll keep looking.

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

McCall Guest

Kathy I just purchased a Miles Talbot sofa it is 82" by 36" deep they had several styles in that same aprox. range. While not top of the line they are a good sturdy sofa. They are a slightly lower priced division of Michael Thomas furniture.

kawhite68 Guest

Default Nathan Anthony Quality

I saw an ad in the newspaper this morning and started checking out the designers sold by this furniture store. On the Nathan Anthony site I found some lines where the depth is 37" or less and the design is very close to what we had in mind. Not all of them are available as sectionals but I can't have everything. Before I make the trip in to take a look I would like an idea of this companies quality.

Thanks,

Kathy