Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall 2014 High Point Furniture Market Visit and Photos

Default Re: Fall 2014 High Point Furniture Market Visit and Photos

Duane,

A couple comments and questions re. some of the items:

1) The Sundance recliner in the Portfolio Claret - CL2, looks gorgeous! I could own this recliner, it is so nice looking, And, what I am surprised about is that it is just a CL2 leather!!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f1fd1be.jpg

2) Many of the pieces were only a CL2 leather that I thought looked fantastic! I wouldn't expect that I would like anything below a CL3. For example, this Portfolio Tobacco CL2 looks quite beautiful!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps74f93c85.jpg

Another example, Bronson Sofa (which BTW, has gorgeous lines too) in Steeplechase Brown Polished CL2 is very very nice!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps22300df8.jpg

Am I nuts or does this Joey Recliner in Gunner Mocha CL1 actually look extremely nice??

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3687e226.jpg

3) Is the Epic Sofa new? This looks like it would be very comfortable - reminds me of a dressy looking Austin Sofa? I don't care for the Document Tobacco CL2, but I could really envision this in our home in a more beautiful leather.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...psd3db342b.jpg

4) This Paula chair in Mocha Burnished CL3 with the Alligator Auburn CL5 combo is stunning! Could you imagine a Utah Recliner done up this way?

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2c088545.jpg

5) Wow, my wife has been looking for a blue leather that is eye popping with a pretty blue - this Lizard Indigo CL5 looks amazing!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5b79627a.jpg

6) Is this Roy Lounger in Cameo Olive Burnished really a green? I like the "look" of this leather, but not sure of the word "olive" unless it is brown with just a hint of olive perhaps?

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4f0e21b9.jpg

7) Finally, this might be my personal favorite! Duane, I am looking for a special recliner - I could see the Utah done up like this amazing Painter's chair too!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5380b892.jpg
    Last edited by sarends; 10-24-2014 at 09:22 AM.

"Only a CL2..." We have looked at and sat on quite a number of Hancock and Moore styles of Sofa and Recliner pieces. What we discovered is that some of the CL2 leather covers are very good looking and comfortable. No they are not as soft as the higher Class leathers, but they do represent an excellent Value. The Sundance Recliner you commented on for example is a beautiful piece, with a durable leather with some texture that helps enhance it's appeal. We opted for the Portfolio Claret specifically because we loved the color and the look and feel of the leather and the thickness of the seat and back cushions. We have had our Sundance Sofa for quite a while now and it really looks as good or better than the day it arrived. This married cover was in the Town and Country Program and as such made available a great price for the Sofa. My advice ...don't count a CL2 leather out of contention unless you have specifically seen it and determined it is not for you. If your objective in a leather Sofa or Chair is butter soft look and feel then go with something like Capri in a higher Class cover.

Steeplechase is a GR 3, just a data point.

Yes, the Epic sofa is brand new and its an freshening of the Austin Series to give it a more updated look. It's a dual power recline sofa, and the wings don't move when you operate the recliner. It's quite nice, sits great.

The new blues at Market were quite handsome. Not only the Lizard Indigo, but also the new Weston Blueberry looked really great in person. Blues have been ignored the past three to four years, its good to see them coming back.

I can't recall the color tone of the Cameo Burnished Olive, sorry! You can always order a sample free of charge, however.

The Utah series lends itself well to being jazzed up. The only limitation is your imagination and credit card limit ... lol

There are many very nice GR 2 hides out there, mostly all the newer ones. Document is one I don't care for, but its old school and looks like it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane,
    Nice job with the photos. My wife thinks the Chantal sofa should have a chair done exactly the same way. It would look special and could be used in many different settings. I am sold on the Sundance recliner. Now I need to find a place to move my Grainger tilt back/ottoman so I can get me one. The Foggy Bottom outdoor furniture looks great, I'm thinking sunroom. Not sure I would expose that beautiful mahogany to the elements. I also like the McKinley office chair. Great style and great price point. If the Leathercraft chair you sold me ever wears out (not likely in my lifetime) I might be ready to try it on for size.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I will have a Sundance Recliner in the store but it likely won't get here until sometime in December.

The Foggy Bottom pieces he has in stock except for the coffee table, so he has to make one of those for me - they should be here probably January I think. He told me he had lots of orders from the show and he's a 1-man operation, so it may take a bit. Some dealer from Florida bought his entire showroom, everything you see in the photos I took. Gary (the owner) told me he has his own pieces he made on the front porch of his home under an overhang but otherwise outside, and they are not 13 years old with no wear on the finish. He told me he has never had to refinish the first piece - that the secret is to buy a high quality marine varnish, not the Home Depot stuff. I think he called it Z-Spar Varnish?
    Duane Collie

wisejd,

Sorry if I sounded a bit snobby. It looks to me like we also might really like the Portfolio Claret. In studying various pictures here, it is hard to get the "tone" of red. I think the portfolio tobacco might be nice as well. Pieces of furniture we are considering are the Sundance power high back reclining sofa and the Sundance high back power recliner. If we like the portfolio claret, this would save us some $$$ as they are T&C. Is there a picture of the portfolio claret on my furniture forum that you feel captures the look, feel (if that is possible) and color of portfolio claret?

If you had to order your Sundance again, would you order the portfolio claret again? What other leather might you have considered? This "picking out one's leather and colors" is both exciting and nerve racking!

Thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
    "Only a CL2..." We have looked at and sat on quite a number of Hancock and Moore styles of Sofa and Recliner pieces. What we discovered is that some of the CL2 leather covers are very good looking and comfortable. No they are not as soft as the higher Class leathers, but they do represent an excellent Value. The Sundance Recliner you commented on for example is a beautiful piece, with a durable leather with some texture that helps enhance it's appeal. We opted for the Portfolio Claret specifically because we loved the color and the look and feel of the leather and the thickness of the seat and back cushions. We have had our Sundance Sofa for quite a while now and it really looks as good or better than the day it arrived. This married cover was in the Town and Country Program and as such made available a great price for the Sofa. My advice ...don't count a CL2 leather out of contention unless you have specifically seen it and determined it is not for you. If your objective in a leather Sofa or Chair is butter soft look and feel then go with something like Capri in a higher Class cover.

Just a reminder, leather swatch samples are free of charge, just email or PM me with up to a dozen, and you'll have them in a few days. Don't buy leather from photographs when samples are so easy to get. An a reminder, be sure to include a mailing address in your request. Fully half of all sample requests don't include a mailing address, which means a delay as I have to ask for one.
    Duane Collie

A quick note on the new H&M items....

I do not have pricing on anything new at Market. Many of the items shown in the photos are new frames, some will not make it into regular production. Once H&M decides those that will, they will print a supplemental price list - most likely in December and then I will have pricing. However, one reason I photograph the tags on many items is there is a MSRP at the bottom of each tag and I can give you a percentage value to use on that number to determine the price you would pay for that item exactly as shown. If there is a particular new item you think you would like to purchase in a different leather or trim, it is possible for me to get the price by making some phone calls. Because of how cumbersome this is to do and the amount of time it takes, please do not make inquires 'out of curiousity' on these new items. I will be glad to get pricing for those that are serious about an item purchase, however.
    Duane Collie

sarends, As Duane points out in his recent post, he can get you any leather samples that you want to take a look at. Alternatively, if you have an H&M Dealer anywhere nearby, they likely will have a fairly complete ring of samples. It is hard enough selecting a leather / color from these Samples let alone trying to do it from a photo. Each furniture piece and the leather used can vary from even the leather sample to a degree. (More in some leathers than others)

I would definitely order the Portfolio Claret again (and am considering a matching chair). The Portfolio Claret is actually a very nice deep red (i.e., not a bright fire engine red), it looks more like a cranberry and matches exactly the color in many Karastan Rugs. That may be more confusing than helpful unless you own a number of these rugs ...then you would know what I am saying. If you have a rug merchant in your area, the Floral Kirman Karastan rug will show you the color tone.
    Last edited by wisejd; 10-26-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Barrypeckham Guest

Duane, this is great info. We're new to the forum, and are really appreciative for all of the good insight shared here. We have researched a number of brands for a sofa and two recliners, and have pretty much decided on Hancock & Moore. We live in West Texas; we'd like to talk with you about purchasing the furniture. What's the appropriate way to proceed?