Thread: American Leather Sofa

deskjockey Guest

Question American Leather Sofa

I was told that American Leather sofas have a Parelli spring system thats made in Italy and the sofa frames are not made of hardwood.

Anyone have experience, comments, suggestions regarding furniture by American Leather.

Default Re: American Leather Sofa

I believe that is correct. Their website does not lead me to believe anything different on their construction, either.

http://www.americanleather.com/Craftsmanship.aspx
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

deskjockey Guest

Duane,

Is it reasonable to categorize American Leather furniture as mid-level from a quality perspective? Why wouldn't furniture manufacturers provide at least a halfway decent description of their products? Names of the management of the furniture manufacturing company would be nice but I suppose thats asking too much from furniture manufacturers!! (there are companies that actually do this on their website and that provides some kind of credibility to them)

Copy and paste from American Leather website,

Durable frames

We care about the long-lasting durability of our furniture (SO, PROVIDE DETAILS ABOUT YOUR FURNITURE). Every wood part is precision cut to .004” using our sophisticated CNC machines. This precision cutting assures that all wood parts fit together with minimum tolerance using a notched interlocking system resulting in strong frame. All plywood parts are layered with industrial strength wood glue before being fastened. And, frame cavities are fully covered with 1/8" thick chipboard material which prevents cover cave-in and improves overall sturdiness of the frame. (A PICTURE OF THE PLYWOOD LAYERS WOULD BE NICE)

Unidirectional webbed suspension seating
    High resiliency, high density foam

Comfort and long-term support is essential in every piece we make. We’ve chosen unidirectional webbed suspension seating as the best choice to pair with high resiliency, high density foam cushions. (WISH THEY INCLUDED A PICTURE OF THIS WEBBED SUSPENSION) Studies show webbed suspension increases the life of these highest quality cushions (A DESCRIPTION OF THE CUSHION PROPERTIES WOULD BE NICE). The combination creates a beautiful continuous design line and a buoyant firmness.

Cushioning

We create our cushions with a highly perfected recipe of foam or down. Each cushion mix is chosen specifically for the best comfort on each frame to create a welcoming softness. Down cushions tend to be softer and rounder, which tends to give a piece a more casual look. High resiliency, high density foam offers more structure and firmness. We also offer extra firm foam on many of our pieces. (DEFINE A EXTRA FIRM CUSHION IN TERMS OF DENSITY)

DJ
    Last edited by deskjockey; 10-25-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Yes, I think that is reasonable - lower mid on that. I like to think of furniture as falling into tiers based on construction and how they tailor it. For example:

"A" Tier (Hancock & Moore, Leathercraft, etc). Solid Hardwood Frames, 8-Way Hand-tied Springs, Legs secured to frame, Qualux Cores or better, stitched seam corners, tight gaps.
    "B" Tier (Bradington Young, Classic Leather, etc). Plywood frame, 8-Way Looped, Some spin-on legs, Qualux Cores or better, folded corners.
    "C" Tier (American Leather, Natuzzi, etc) Plywood frame, no sag springs or Pirelli webbing, torsion springs, spin-on legs, HR Foam corms with poly fill backs, loose gaps.

And so on....some companies like Smith Bros don't fit the mold (they use solid hardwood frames but sinuous springs so I'd put them in "B"....and there is nothing necessarily wrong with being in one or the other tier, its just that you should know what you're paying for within a category.

As to why they don't to a halfway decent description? MARKETING! Usually only the top tier makers will tell you the rest prefer a little smoke and mirrors. My favorite phrase seen in that regard is "We use only the finest engineered hardwoods in our frame construction" and that means...>PLYWOOD<.....lol
    Duane Collie

deskjockey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Yes, I think that is reasonable - lower mid on that. I like to think of furniture as falling into tiers based on construction and how they tailor it. For example:

"A" Tier (Hancock & Moore, Leathercraft, etc). Solid Hardwood Frames, 8-Way Hand-tied Springs, Legs secured to frame, Qualux Cores or better, stitched seam corners, tight gaps.
    "B" Tier (Bradington Young, Classic Leather, etc). Plywood frame, 8-Way Looped, Some spin-on legs, Qualux Cores or better, folded corners.
    "C" Tier (American Leather, Natuzzi, etc) Plywood frame, no sag springs or Pirelli webbing, torsion springs, spin-on legs, HR Foam corms with poly fill backs, loose gaps.

And so on....some companies like Smith Bros don't fit the mold (they use solid hardwood frames but sinuous springs so I'd put them in "B"....and there is nothing necessarily wrong with being in one or the other tier, its just that you should know what you're paying for within a category.

As to why they don't to a halfway decent description? MARKETING! Usually only the top tier makers will tell you the rest prefer a little smoke and mirrors. My favorite phrase seen in that regard is "We use only the finest engineered hardwoods in our frame construction" and that means...>PLYWOOD<.....lol
    Here's something you will be familiar with,

Since our foundation, Hancock & Moore has worked from one basic principle--to build fine furniture of uncompromising quality that endures for generations. Up to 80 hours are spent constructing a Hancock & Moore style--the time needed for the quality construction that has become our hallmark. Techniques such as our eight-way hand-tied springs, too labor-intensive for most manufacturers, give us a distinctive niche in the industry. As many as 17 craftsmen will have worked on a single piece, devoting countless hours to creating a Hancock & Moore original.

I know that this is asking too much from, even you, but could you please list more furniture manufactuers that fall under the A, B, C.....tiers you illustrated above, in your experience?

Well, I prefer not to make up a list, because it would require me to go study each maker in detail. It would take many hours of work and research to do a correct and proper list that is 100 % accurate, its not something I have off the top of my head. In order to be fair and factual it would require me to get into the factories of each company and that would be more like writing a book than a list for a forum. I'm sure you understand.
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-25-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    Duane Collie

deskjockey Guest

Well, I prefer not to make up a list, because it would require me to go study each maker in detail. It would take many hours of work and research to do a correct and proper list that is 100 % accurate, its not something I have off the top of my head. In order to be fair and factual it would require me to get into the factories of each company and that would be more like writing a book than a list for a forum. I'm sure you understand.
    I sure do. Thank you Duane.

I have narrowed things down to one furniture store. Its likely that I will pay a bit more at this furniture store for a bit more (since you mentioned marketing, furniture salesmen dress in suits here but no tie!) quality furniture. The good news is that I have been able to identify a few comfy furniture items that would work for my specific needs and this is surprising. Buying furniture does not have to this time consuming.

Like anything, you car research something until it makes you indecisive and unable to commit. I see that every week, nearly every day! Gather your information, make an informed decision as best you can - and pull the trigger then move on to something else. Know how long it takes me to buy a piece of furniture for my own home? About 5 minutes....seriously. And my wife usually agrees with my choices.
    Duane Collie

deskjockey Guest

Like anything, you car research something until it makes you indecisive and unable to commit. I see that every week, nearly every day! Gather your information, make an informed decision as best you can - and pull the trigger then move on to something else. Know how long it takes me to buy a piece of furniture for my own home? About 5 minutes....seriously. And my wife usually agrees with my choices.
    You are the expert and its easy for you and your wife.

As a furniture buyer, this is what I have tried to learn, so far. Ideally, everyone, should shoot for the best seat for their seat. Gotta remember that you are not buying a toilet seat.

1. Do not try to save a few hundred dollars on furniture, unless you can back this up with sound reasoning. If there is not enough in the budget, wait and save. No one should buy McFurniture.

2. Give yourself enough time to buy furniture. You might buy in haste and regret in leisure.

3. Usually, store furniture salesmen will not customers tell about the types of cushions. They are there to make a sale as employees of a for profit (high profit margin) corporation. Take what they say with a few grains of salt. Educate yourself, internet is your friend, but your mind is your best friend.

4. Buyers get to deal ONLY with retailers but not with the manufacturers who actually make the product. And manufacturer's do not want to tell you exactly how their furniture is made.
    Last edited by deskjockey; 11-03-2014 at 01:00 PM.