Thread: Protected leather and color of leather under dye/paint

kath0469 Guest

Default Protected leather and color of leather under dye/paint

I've noticed when I turn over some leather swatches, that some are nearly the same color as the actual leather color. Others, are much lighter than the swatch color. Does this have to do with whether or not the leather was dyed all the way through or a paint was just applied to the surface? If a piece were to wear/crack (due to improper care, cleaning, sun, etc) would those leathers that are dyed all the way through, show less wear? I'm looking at samples I just received. Kip denim, Kip charcoal, and Columbia taupe look to be the same color all the way through. However, Kip Haze and Kip Seamist are very light under the surface color.

I do realize that proper cleaning and care should eliminate cracking. I am a little concerned about friction wear from pieces that are used quite a bit.

Default Re: Protected leather and color of leather under dye/paint

Kip is a finished, or painted leather. So you do have a topcoat of color on it that theoretically may peel, flake, chip over time. Columbia is a semi-aniline, so its a hybrid leather that is partially dyed and partially color coated.

All leather friction wears over time with use, its unavoidable. While leather has four times the lifespan of a fabric piece in wear-ability, that doesn't mean it shows no wear - and sometimes people are confused by that. Look at the leather you use in everyday life (belts, shoes, wallets, purses) and you will see that it all shows some wear. On furniture, the welt trim on seat cushions seems to take the brunt of friction wear and if you want to avoid that as much as possible you can often specify a single needle stitch closure instead, which will be much smoother but not a 'elegant' looking as a welt trim.

Overall an Aniline hide will look better over a period of time than a finished leather in my opinion (and that is subject to debate depending on whom you ask!) HOWEVER - all bets are off if you put that aniline hide in direct sunlight where it will fade and take a lot of oily, greasy food to that sofa and/or spill chemicals on the leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.