Thread: Dubler Bros. Furniture

USAlex Guest

Question Dubler Bros. Furniture

Hello,

My parents purchased a condo in Florida that came with a dresser that looks great and is of amazing quality and workmanship. I may be completely wrong about the quality, as I am not a professional, but It looks great. The dresser is at least 40 years old, but looks like it was just built yesterday. Anyway, I've been trying to track down the company who made this dresser, with no luck.

There is absolutely no mention of the company anywhere on the web. I am attaching photo of the plate inside one of the drawers with the company's name.

Dubler Bros. Furniture
    Distinctive Interiors Since 1917
    Brooklyn, N.Y.

I was wondering if anyone has heard about this company as I am curious about what happened to them?

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dubler Bros.png 
Views:	385 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	6624

Ci2Eye Guest

Default Re: Dubler Bros. Furniture

It would appear to me that Dubler Brothers was a furniture store rather than a furniture maker. The clue being the "Distinctive Interiors" phrase. If that's the only marking, it may be hard to tell who made the piece.

Ci2Eye Guest

Looks like there was a Dubler Brothers Furniture store at 395 Rockaway Avenue in Brooklyn, NY.

USAlex Guest

Thanks Ci2Eye! How did you find out that there was a furniture store at that address? Even after searching the name and address I was still not able to find it ��.

The main reason for my search was to discover if the dresser is actually valuable due to its quality of craftsmanship.

Thanks for your help!

Having a 'brand' is not indicative of quality or value, only a photographic essay of the piece using several high res photos (not poorly lit and blurry cell phone shots) can tell how a piece is made and if it has any value higher than your typical estate sale prices, etc. Just because it's old doesn't mean it has any value. In my experience, of the thousands of pieces I have been asked to look at over the past thirty years, 99.5% have no collectible value. But you never know - you may have a rarity, only a series of detailed photos can tell via the internet and much include interior shots from all angles. Of all the pieces that have been dragged into my store the past three decades, only one was "Antiques Roadshow" surprise quality, and I helped that customer get it to Sotheby's in N.Y.C.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ci2Eye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by USAlex View Post
    Thanks Ci2Eye! How did you find out that there was a furniture store at that address? Even after searching the name and address I was still not able to find it ��.

The main reason for my search was to discover if the dresser is actually valuable due to its quality of craftsmanship.

Thanks for your help!
    Through Google, I found what appears to be a high school yearbook from 1933 where the store was listed as a sponsor.

http://www.mocavo.com/Elchanite-New-...933/769263/104

USAlex Guest

Thanks Ci2Eye, that is really amazing, that out of all places, you found that this is a store by an ad in a year book from 1033!

drcollie - thanks for your advice! I actually never considered this an auction type of furniture, but now I am curious. My parents are going back to Florida next week and I will ask them to take some good pictures of the dresser outside, around and inside to post here, but for now, I just have exactly what you would describe as a blurry image that I am attaching. Let me know your initial thoughts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140504_142531_1.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	6626

Thank You!

It's a modern production piece, no collectible value. Sorry.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

USAlex Guest

Thanks for crushing my dreams drcollie! I'm just kidding!

Thank you both for the quick replies and support!