Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find a good quality, mid-range sofa

savvyshopper Guest

Default Where to find a good quality, mid-range sofa

My husband and I are currently looking for some new living furniture to replace our old lazboy recliner sofa that is probably about 15 years old (it was given to us by my in-laws who had it for a few years and we have had it for 11 years with 3 kids). Although, our lazboy has lasted a long, long time, lazboy is not exactly my first choice for our living room furniture. Also, I have read mixed reviews on lazboy furniture as well, and have heard that the quality has gone down.

We are currently looking for a new sofa for our living room that is a well made, mid-range sofa that will last us 10 + years, and offers a variety of durable fabrics. More specifically, we are looking for a 3 seat traditional sofa, with rolled arms, semi-attached pillows and firm cushions that will last a long time with 3 children and built on a solid frame as well. Our living room furniture gets used a lot on a daily basis because our tv is in the living room but it is also the first room you see when you walk into our house.

We are looking for a traditional sofa that will be comfortable yet stylish as well. We are ok with paying decent money for a sofa that will last us a long time (10 years or more), but we'd rather not have to spend extra money just for a name. We are in the chicago area, so we have lots of furniture options... maybe too many. We have read both good and bad reviews on just about every furniture maker out there. Could you help us figure out what mid-range, good warranty/customer service, good quality sofa makers might be good for us to consider? We have explored many furniture makers such as: Rowe, CR Laine, Wesley Hall, Michael Thomas @ Calico Corners, Century, Sherril, Walter E. Smith, Ethan Allen.

Default Re: good quality mid-range sofa

Your question is very broad and truthfully most any of the brands you mention will fit the bill. Some slightly better than others, but at the end of the day there is not that much difference between them. Shop locally and select one you like the best, and source a fabric with the help of your local dealer. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Wesley Hall and Sherril stand out to me on your list. I am also wondering, given your particular list where Flexsteel is? In any case with your desire for durability you may want to review some of the threads on this forum as to what to ask when considering a specific sofa. For example 8-way-hand-tied (not the case with Flexsteel, but they do their own thing), Hardwood Frame, etc. Don't forget to bend down and lift one corner of a potential purchase and see if the Sofa bends at all as you lift. You want to feel the solid nature of the frame as you perform this easy test. The actual Fabric is even more difficult than selecting the Brand or the Style for your new Sofa. Again, thinking of durability you want to specifically state that as a priority as you consider any fabric choices. My advice would be not to totally rule out a leather Sofa if durability is your number one objective. Leather works well, offers great appearance and will hold up longer than any Fabric you may choose.

savvyshopper Guest

We are looking for a traditional sofa that will last us a long time (10+ years). We have read many mixed reviews on many furniture makers. If a friend of yours came to you and said that he/she is looking for traditional sofa (in fabric) that is mid-range and will last a long time (10+ years) including the sofa cushions, and has a good warranty/customer service what furniture makers would you suggest and why?

We just donated our Wesley Hall Fabric covered Sofa to the Salvation Army after 21 years of every-day use. For that reason, I have to say their product definitely exceeded our expectations.

Taylor King Portfolio Collection. Priced right, solid build.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Taylor King Portfolio Collection. Priced right, solid build.
    Yep. The wife got her Taylor King sofa and I was able to get my H&M Austin High Back Tilt Back chair and ottoman in awesome GR2 Atticus Sable! Loving it!

AshleyK Guest

Do they still make the portfolio collection? If not is there something comparable? Right now the only thing that seems to be in the running is Flexsteel Vail collection (supposedly Made in America). I would really appreciate any suggestions. The biggest issue I have right now is the "I've had such and such company for 25 years and my kids are still using it". We are those kids. My in-laws gave us their set 10 years ago and it was 15 years old then. That is what we want but many companies do not make furniture the way they did 20-30 years ago. I would like to know what will hold up now in 2015. If we want something that will last do we really NEED to spend over $4000? We obviously don't have a Walmart budget but I just can't see spending $8500 on a Stucky fabric set and that's the sale price. Maybe I'm delusional in thinking that amount of money should be able to buy you something of quality. If our budget is only $4000 how long should we expect it to last? Again your help is really appreciated. Thank you.

we are looking for:

$3000-$4000 range, I understand that the more you spend now the more you will save later but fact of the matter is we cannot make money appear out of thin air, that is our budget and my husband WILL NOT BUDGE as annoying as it can be sometimes it has kept us debt free
    quality construction
    fabric
    Firm sofa and love seat
    smaller seat depth, I think 38"
    shorter heigth, I believe 34", something where you can lean back and put your arm on the back of the sofa
    Traditional modern, if that makes sense

Yes, the Taylor King Portfolio collection is alive and well. In fact its 95% of all my T.K. orders. The problem with it is that its not on-line and you can't see it on your computer. You can get a TK Portfolio sofa and loveseat for that $ 4K or really close to it. Its USA-made, solid construction and well-made. I do find that most upholstery fabric won't go much beyond 12 to 15 years before it needs recovering though, but that is anyone's fabric. I have permission from T.K. to scan in the Portfolio Collection but don't know when I can find the time to do it. There are many pages.....if you really want to see it, I can mail you the catalog for it, but would ask that you send it back when done as I only have (3) copies of it.
    Duane Collie

tfrye2324 Guest

Default Re: Where to find a good quality, mid-range sofa

Duane, I saw in a different thread where you said you stopped carrying Flexsteel and you seem like you really know your stuff and are a stand-up guy. I am looking for a leather (not bonded) sofa and loveseat. What brands do you find to be the highest quality. Price isn't a huge issue, but I don't want to spend $10k haha. Just looking for your thoughts.