Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major Restoration Hardware Fail, Need Quality Manufacturer

Default Re: Major Restoration Hardware Fail, Need Quality Manufacturer

You may call my store at 703-360-6399.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
    Regarding Restoration Hardware, this was not a single damage or quality issue. They have tried replacing the sofas 5 times now and each time the pieces are visibly damaged (visible to everyone including the delivery people) and the hand ties inside have snapped on both the 60" and the 96". The quality is just terrible and it isn't limited to their sofas. I could go on and on, but believe me when I say we have been more than willing to work with RH to get this all resolved to no avail.

I heard a bit of insider news that the RH pieces you see in their galleries are made in NC whereas when you place an order the pieces come from China and the quality isn't even close to what you initially saw. I can't verify if that's true but it certainly holds water to our experiences.

Also, no one said absolute perfection. We're going for no dents, tears, or ties snapping on us. Shouldn't be too much to ask when spending this kind of money. We've had two La-Z-Boy couches for almost 20 years now and they are still in perfect working order. Didn't pay half of what we paid RH.

The Hancock & Moore stuff looks nice but I also found https://www.leathergroups.com/shop/L...ther-Sofa.html which seems to be an exact replica with much better construction. I welcome any opinions on these guys if you or anyone you know has worked with them.

Still trying to locate another coffee table and dining table. Those seem to be very difficult to find in the same style. We absolutely love both RH pieces but again, terrible quality. Their 20th Century Iron Vault coffee table is actually powder coated sheet metal (not iron) that dents and chips in two seconds (even scratches when you vacuum it). The dining table base that is flawless in the store, is wood filler patched with holes all over it (and they've tried 3 different ones, with the last two coming with bug infestations).
    This is exactly my point with regards to my hesitation in purchasing directly thru RH: much, much too many of these type of horror tales with either ok results or terrible, unacceptable results. Unfortunately, they seem to be really the only guys in the game curating that industrial, minimalist aesthetic & that makes finding similar products of a higher quality with better customer service difficult.

Ci2Eye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    This is exactly my point with regards to my hesitation in purchasing directly thru RH: much, much too many of these type of horror tales with either ok results or terrible, unacceptable results. Unfortunately, they seem to be really the only guys in the game curating that industrial, minimalist aesthetic & that makes finding similar products of a higher quality with better customer service difficult.
    I have a somewhat different take perhaps but if a person is seeking a very current "look" such as the RH industrial, aged metal, hyper-distressed, greige look that they've developed, why would you want high quality and a high price? I would go with high quality and a high price on classic, traditional pieces that will still be in style 50 years from now and can be passed down to a new generation someday. Something trendy that will be out-of-style and the brunt of jokes in 10 years doesn't need to be made to the same standard. That's been my calculus.

It's like the classic navy blue blazer for a man or the little black dress for a lady. Everyone's wardrobe needs to include them and they never go out-of-style so for those items, buy quality. Something that's all the rage this summer but likely won't be two summers from now can be picked up at Old Navy and will serve the purpose nicely.

I would go with high quality and a high price on classic, traditional pieces that will still be in style 50 years from now and can be passed down to a new generation someday <<< Smart
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ok, you guys both have good points. My only somewhat rebuttal to them is: for those of us still in our younger years(under 40,) the uber traditional look is just a bit too traditional. However, a hybrid of traditional with a sense of the modern, industrial aesthetic is what's fueling RH's current success...& THAT look very much appeals to us in this age group.

Lol, before you go saying all hope is lost for the future generations; we do value quality & longevity, hence the resurgence of all that furniture from the 50s & 60s that's hot right now with my generation. We're looking to have a stylish interior done with the right quality of product to take us into the future

Ci2Eye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Ok, you guys both have good points. My only somewhat rebuttal to them is: for those of us still in our younger years(under 40,) the uber traditional look is just a bit too traditional. However, a hybrid of traditional with a sense of the modern, industrial aesthetic is what's fueling RH's current success...& THAT look very much appeals to us in this age group.

Lol, before you go saying all hope is lost for the future generations; we do value quality & longevity, hence the resurgence of all that furniture from the 50s & 60s that's hot right now with my generation. We're looking to have a stylish interior done with the right quality of product to take us into the future
    I'm not that old either but I am old enough to have furnished my first apartment and home in a very current look only to find that it became dated rather quickly. What I learned was that my parents and grandparents were smarter than I realized when they cautioned me to buy things more timeless looking. I think it's okay if someone is 24 and they want a very distressed, industrial RH look but don't spend too much money on it because you likely won't like it so much by the time you reach 35.

I could be wrong but I can't imagine that RH's burlap chair with the exposed, distressed frame that looks like it's half-way through the reupholstery process is going to be still around in 2022. A classic leather wingback most definitely will be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	315 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	8459
    Last edited by Ci2Eye; 04-16-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Jenny Guest

I live in a loft but I purchased a very traditional B&Y sofa. I very much love the industrial look that RH sells, but I'm scared I'll transition into a house when I hit my thirties and when I have a family, and the furniture just won't fit without the grand ceilings to support them. Of course, it won't be until much later in my life that I can afford a house of the scale to support RH. Right now that "RH" look is sadly relegated to my accent pieces.

sstarrx2 Guest

The H&M price list is posted on this forum for every piece and leather grade. They are retail prices, but Duane has stated his prices are roughly 50% of the retail. If you are working with dealers that are not somewhere in that ball park...you are paying too much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ci2Eye View Post
    I'm not that old either but I am old enough to have furnished my first apartment and home in a very current look only to find that it became dated rather quickly. What I learned was that my parents and grandparents were smarter than I realized when they cautioned me to buy things more timeless looking. I think it's okay if someone is 24 and they want a very distressed, industrial RH look but don't spend too much money on it because you likely won't like it so much by the time you reach 35.

I could be wrong but I can't imagine that RH's burlap chair with the exposed, distressed frame that looks like it's half-way through the reupholstery process is going to be still around in 2022. A classic leather wingback most definitely will be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	315 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	8459
    THAT particular RH chair is a very specific look someone's going for & I agree, it's in now...but, won't be in another 20-30 years. However, that's a traditional, English roll arm chair on casters that looks nearly identical to the B&Y 543-25 Hamrick chair I'll be ordering very soon from Duane.

Oh, & I'll be buying it in a very plain Jane medium to dark brown full aniline leather with mild to moderate pull up to achieve a somewhat distressed look within a year or so. Lol, hopefully I'll choose wisely & this'll be a chair that'll last me well into my early golden years