Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major Restoration Hardware Fail, Need Quality Manufacturer

kittonian Guest

Default Re: Major Restoration Hardware Fail, Need Quality Manufacturer

Thank you so much for that response drcollie. High Point Market looks amazing and definitely somewhere we should look into visiting this next year. Too bad it's all the way across the country (we're in Austin, TX).

Thank you also for looking into the build quality of the clones I mentioned. I know it might be asking a lot but when I called that company yesterday the gentleman who answered the phone walked me through their entire build process in great detail, but of course I don't build furniture and it's a bit difficult to discern between what he is saying and what the end result would be. Is there any chance you would be willing to give them a call tomorrow and find out the details? If not I completely understand. Just don't want to make another bad purchase.

I looked into Hancock & Moore and while they will customize the pieces to fit exactly what we want, they are asking around $11k per sofa to do so. While I can certainly appreciate that good quality costs more, I simply cannot justify $22k for two sofas.

Well, I'm a businessman, not a journalist, so I don't have time to call around researching brands for people, sorry. What you can do it if you would like to pursue it is to either detail the build here in a post, or invite that maker to post here and they can have the opportunity to open up their company to new markets by doing so. This forum is accessible to all, both consumers and those in the trade.

I have never sold a H&M sofa approaching anywhere near $ 11,000. Not even close! I suspect you are talking to the wrong dealer on that one.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Somehow you are getting a less than accurate view into your Hancock and Moore Sofa options. This is very concerning in that you apparently are looking for excellent style and quality but for some reason believe that it is only available via customization. I can't help but wonder if you have visited the H&M web site and just searched using the word "Sofa". You will then see every Style available in thumbnail size images. You can click on any Style you have an interest in and see a larger image, and specific detail about that offering. You can also go back to the H&M web site homepage and under the Products pull-down menu you can select "Leather" and look through each and every leather available. You can also click on any leather sample and get a more detailed and larger image. In all seriousness, it isn't making any since that you are not calling Duane to discuss in-detail what you are looking for. My brother lives in Austin and I can assure you that your location is not too far away to ship your exact choice at the best price available. The Sofa and Manufacturer you are thinking about cannot compare to what you would be acquiring from H&M. Having reviewed the specific links you posted, and also other information within those links I am confident you are not going to be happy with that Sofa. Feel free to let me know that I was badly mistaking if you select it, and love it.

In looking at the Sofa you provided the link to, it is apparent that you will not sit comfortably in that specific style. You will feel like the seat cushions are too deep, given the back cushion and you will find yourself ordering about six or so 20" overstuffed pillows to make it work. The angle of the gentleman in the provided photos (and videos) shows me that unless you want to sit very relaxed and looking at the ceiling, this is not the Sofa for you. I know that my post is on the wrong side of presumptuous, but I am just worried you won't notice this issue, and will wait for build and delivery only to be as disappointed as you were with your RH selections.
    Last edited by wisejd; 11-26-2014 at 09:44 AM.

kittonian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Well, I'm a businessman, not a journalist, so I don't have time to call around researching brands for people, sorry. What you can do it if you would like to pursue it is to either detail the build here in a post, or invite that maker to post here and they can have the opportunity to open up their company to new markets by doing so. This forum is accessible to all, both consumers and those in the trade.

I have never sold a H&M sofa approaching anywhere near $ 11,000. Not even close! I suspect you are talking to the wrong dealer on that one.
    I completely understand and knew going in it was a lot to ask of you. I called the local H&M dealer to discuss customizing the charter sofa and she quoted me approx pricing based on tier 1 leather at $11k. I too thought that was absurdly high so it's nice to know that was way out of the ballpark. We're going to go visit their store on Sunday to see these sofas in person and get a feel for the quality of H&M.

kittonian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
    Somehow you are getting a less than accurate view into your Hancock and Moore Sofa options. This is very concerning in that you apparently are looking for excellent style and quality but for some reason believe that it is only available via customization. I can't help but wonder if you have visited the H&M web site and just searched using the word "Sofa". You will then see every Style available in thumbnail size images. You can click on any Style you have an interest in and see a larger image, and specific detail about that offering. You can also go back to the H&M web site homepage and under the Products pull-down menu you can select "Leather" and look through each and every leather available. You can also click on any leather sample and get a more detailed and larger image. In all seriousness, it isn't making any since that you are not calling Duane to discuss in-detail what you are looking for. My brother lives in Austin and I can assure you that your location is not too far away to ship your exact choice at the best price available. The Sofa and Manufacturer you are thinking about cannot compare to what you would be acquiring from H&M. Having reviewed the specific links you posted, and also other information within those links I am confident you are not going to be happy with that Sofa. Feel free to let me know that I was badly mistaking if you select it, and love it.

In looking at the Sofa you provided the link to, it is apparent that you will not sit comfortably in that specific style. You will feel like the seat cushions are too deep, given the back cushion and you will find yourself ordering about six or so 20" overstuffed pillows to make it work. The angle of the gentleman in the provided photos (and videos) shows me that unless you want to sit very relaxed and looking at the ceiling, this is not the Sofa for you. I know that my post is on the wrong side of presumptuous, but I am just worried you won't notice this issue, and will wait for build and delivery only to be as disappointed as you were with your RH selections.
    Thank you for the lengthy response, but perhaps you didn't see the original post where I stated I already own the Restoration Hardware Lancaster 49" depth sofas and am in the process of returning them due to such poor quality. I want the exact same dimensions and look in the higher quality sofa we choose and since the Charter Sofa is the closest in looks to the RH Lancaster, the only way to get the sizes we need is through customization. I have looked extensively through the H&M website at a variety of their styles.

I have read all your posts thoroughly and I was talking about the "Langston" that was in the Link you posted. Be aware that sometimes while the dimensions are the same or similar the actual sitting experience based on the back cushions can be very different. I was just trying to caution you after I watched the YouTube video on the Link you had posted. I will rest assured at this point that my concern has indeed been expressed and in-fact over expressed. Good luck on your new purchases.

I called the local H&M dealer to discuss customizing the Charter sofa and she quoted me approx pricing based on tier 1 leather at $11k

A Charter? In GR 1? She should be arrested.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ci2Eye Guest

To the original poster, I would also say that there are many pieces of beautiful furniture out there. If the Restoration Hardware stuff didn't work out for you, I would suggest you look at other manufacturers with a fresh perspective. I wouldn't necessarily try to find the exact same look in each piece that the RH stuff had. Rather, find things you like but that perhaps have different looks. I'm sure it's a case where you have your "heart set" on the RH style but try to be open-minded. RH offers a very specific distressed, industrial look which can be duplicated elsewhere with better quality but if you've opened up the realm of possibilities to include hundreds of other furniture makers, why not also be open to other looks as well.

A home should reflect its occupant(s) and be a mixture of their tastes and style. Unless your name is a Gary Friedman (CEO of RH), your home shouldn't look exactly like one of their catalogs. Their catalog and its signature look is very indicative of him but in the vast world of furniture, you might find your taste to actually be a little different. In fact, in my opinion, you should.

kittonian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    A Charter? In GR 1? She should be arrested.
    What should I be asking about?

kittonian Guest

We went to see the H&M sofas in person and were really impressed with the build quality. That being said, our local H&M rep didn't seem to know much about the brand and we ended up having to feed her information only to receive very loose answers that didn't make a whole lot of sense. The good news is that after looking through all the leather swatches, we found the exact match to our current sofas and know exactly what we want at this point. I would like to speak to you DrCollie to see what kind of pricing we are talking about and possibly place an order. Please let me know when I can reach you.

Thanks!