Thread: How we make it happen - custom build Hancock and Moore

Default How we make it happen - custom build Hancock and Moore

One of our forum members from New York City wanted to purchase a Hancock and Moore Ava sofa, but we figured out pretty quickly it would not go through his door opening, which is not unusual for cities where there are building that are older, and we don't have the option to remove door jambs, etc. Over the course of forty emails or so, other styles were tried and we always came back to the Ava. So....time to customize! Hancock and Moore operates its own frame plant (most furniture makers do not) so tweaking it is not a problem, however we have to preserve the look of the piece when we alter it, and also make sure it's done so that we accomplish the goal, which in this case is to get it through the door.

This is what I came up with on how to make minor frame tweaks without destroying the proportions, and this is what H&M worked off of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ava.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	13030

The order was placed in Capri Harness leather (GR 4) and with Covid-19 it took longer than we all planned, but it was delivered this week, and it cleared the door by 1/2" (Which is all you need!). Perfect! They are very happy with their new sofa and the custom frame work had a reasonable charge of $ 600 to the price of the unit, which was modified in back frame height and a leg trim.

Like Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore (founders of Hancock and Moore) used to love to say "Challenge Us, We have the Talent to do it".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9468.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	13031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9467.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	13032
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: How we make it happen - custom build Hancock and Moore

Love H&M! It's amazing that one can get this level of service, nowadays. And, the customer was fortunate you are the kind of business guy who cares enough to assist with that project.

TXCajun

Default Re: How we make it happen - custom build Hancock and Moore

Yes, I find that as long as you stay with USA-made product, and the maker controls his own production (doesn't farm out frame builds, etc), that you can often get things tweaked, though there is a charge to do so. They should be kept reasonable as well, unless you want to commission a one-off custom and have the deep pockets to pay for such a thing.

I always try to put myself in my customers shoes as a dealer, and treat them the way I want to be treated as a customer. Last Friday for example, we had to deliver a Century Metal (Stainless Steel) table base an a 48" Glass Beveled top to a customer in Maryland. After I unpacked it all I noticed there was nothing to go between the tempered glass top and metal base. I checked the packing boxes carefully, too. I called Century, and they said "You just set the top on the metal base, gravity holds it there". I told them that's not really acceptable, because the first time someone bumps it the glass will move and the glass will get scratched on the bottom. However, it's now just one hour to delivery, so I have to find a solution myself.

Off to Home Depot, where I found a package of Everbilt Self-Adhesive 3/4 in. Vinyl Square Bumpers. Bought them and off we went. When we got to the customer's home I explained what I discovered and he was glad to have them installed on the base contact point. It's the little things that make a difference. Treat your customers right and work on their behalf, and they will come back to you. Ignore them or say things like "Thats the way it is" and you may not see them again. It's not that hard to do it right!
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-08-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.