Thread: Some help choosing a Mission style dining table - talk me into / out of custom?

Jeff Bannow Guest

Default Some help choosing a Mission style dining table - talk me into / out of custom?

My wife and I have started looking around at dining tables, and I think have decided on a Mission style trestle table. We've honed in on either:

Stickley - http://www.paulschatzfurniture.com/S...formation.aspx
    or Simply Amish - http://www.simplyamish.com/furniture...UImageID=13225
    http://www.simplyamish.com/furniture...ImageID=12701#

Both come in at around the same cost - $5000 for the table and $1000 per chair (this is the store quote, not MSRP). We would be leaning towards the Simply Amish Aspen based on design alone, though I would prefer a sculpted seat on the chairs instead of the flat plank.

This seems high to me for production work, but I'm no expert. Could something like this be made custom for a similar cost? I'm having a hard time spending $11,000 to order furniture from "the Amish" when I feel I could have it custom done for close to that. Is it unreasonable to expect immaculate quality for that kind of money, or do I need to have my expectations adjusted?

Default Re: Some help choosing a Mission style dining table - talk me into / out of custom?

Those prices are not terrible. Custom would run 3x that on the chairs and probably 30 % to 40% more on a table.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Some help choosing a Mission style dining table - talk me into / out of custom?

Both sets are indeed very nice looking, but the Simply Amish looks outstanding from a design perspective. I would expect that once it is in your home and you are enjoying it, you will forget the cost soon enough.

Jeff Bannow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
    Both sets are indeed very nice looking, but the Simply Amish looks outstanding from a design perspective. I would expect that once it is in your home and you are enjoying it, you will forget the cost soon enough.
    Just found a video from Simply Amish on their construction techniques. I understand the whole Amish thing is more a gimmick than a real seal of quality, but still. If the video is true, it seems like they are hitting the right points to my untrained eye. Maybe someone else could spot a tell-tale trouble in the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1O0V9VkR7g

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one in person and look at the quality level, maybe snap a few photos.

Jeff Bannow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Just found a video from Simply Amish on their construction techniques. I understand the whole Amish thing is more a gimmick than a real seal of quality, but still. If the video is true, it seems like they are hitting the right points to my untrained eye. Maybe someone else could spot a tell-tale trouble in the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1O0V9VkR7g

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one in person and look at the quality level, maybe snap a few photos.
    The relevant points I found from that video, and from their website:

wood is cut in "America's forests", cut and kiln dried, then sent to 1 of 50 Amish homesteads
    Amish person shown actually cutting the wood and running a lathe
    lots of hydraulic / electric tools shown
    "hand guided and assembled"
    their furniture is set apart from "factory assembled pieces"
    mortis and tenon or glue and dowels used
    clamp and glue used, then reinforced with screws
    dovetail constructon in both front and back of drawers
    use solid hardwood construction
    all sanding started by machine, finished by hand
    all stains are hand rubbed
    Spray on varnish used, 2 coats, then sanded, then a 3rd coat applied
    Lifetime guarantee, they will pay for shipping for repairs
    Hardwood plywood used "in shelves, cabinet backs, and on cabinet sides without a flat or raised panel."
    Each piece custom made to order

Does this sound like quality construction?

Don't get too caught up in the "made by the Amish" buzzwords.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ighlight=amish

it's production furniture - plain and simple. That doesn't mean its bad, but there is no romance to it. But then again, neither is there with Stickley. The only way to truly evaluate furniture is to have it in front of you and inspect it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jeff Bannow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Don't get too caught up in the "made by the Amish" buzzwords.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ighlight=amish

it's production furniture - plain and simple. That doesn't mean its bad, but there is no romance to it. But then again, neither is there with Stickley. The only way to truly evaluate furniture is to have it in front of you and inspect it.
    Thanks for the input, and all the great info on this forum!

I wish custom was in my budget at this time, but I don't think I can swing $25,000+ right now.