Thread: Quality of French Market Collection furniture

Default Quality of French Market Collection furniture

I have found some dining chairs that I like at French Market Collection (Brown Provence side chair) but can't find anything about their quality. They claim "Hand carved hardwood French country chairs with hand woven rush seat and hand-crafted fruitwood patina," but I haven't been able to verify from another source that they actually use hardwood. Anybody know anything about this outfit? Thanks!

Default Re: Quality of French Market Collection furniture

Quote Originally Posted by zinninge View Post
    I have found some dining chairs that I like at French Market Collection (Brown Provence side chair) but can't find anything about their quality. They claim "Hand carved hardwood French country chairs with hand woven rush seat and hand-crafted fruitwood patina," but I haven't been able to verify from another source that they actually use hardwood. Anybody know anything about this outfit? Thanks!
    Well, I have the answer to my own question, and I'm sharing it in case anyone else has the misfortune to order anything from these people. Three of the six chairs had defects in the finish, and two of them rocked. And the overall quality was worse than abysmal. They claimed the material was oak, but it certainly did not look like it, and the heft of the chairs didn't substantiate their claim either. I don't even want to talk about the delivery guy, who wanted to drop the boxes at my front door and didn't want to wait while I took the chairs out of the box and inspected them. Fortunately I insisted.

At a price point of $520 each, I knew I wasn't getting top quality, but I expected something of at least middling quality. What I got was worse than cheesy. So, lesson learned--even when you know better, don't let yourself be seduced by a pretty picture.

I would be interested, though, if anybody could tell me what is a reasonable price for a French-styled, sold wood ladder back side chair. Thanks!

I'd need to see a photo or link so I could see the style you like. A good chair is NOT inexpensive, but for $ 500 + you shouldn't get junk, either.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

This is a test to see if it goes through, because I keep getting server errors.