Thread: More information on couches and furniture buying

heinzbitte Guest

Default More information on couches and furniture buying

Hello, I'm new here, and a I must say, this is the most detailed site online I've been able to find regarding furniture.

I'm looking to buy my first couch, and I'm having trouble finding the information I need. I was hoping someone would be able to help me with some (or maybe even all of my questions). I hope I'm not breaking any rules by just posting a bunch of questions, I tried to search this forum and elsewhere online. I also apologize for typing so much, feel free to call me a "windbag", you wouldn't be the first .

First of all, I'm a bigger guy, pushing 400 pounds. We will be the only two using the couch on a daily basis (no kids or pets). Just sitting/laying on them, what life should we expect to get out of a different qualities of couches? I know my weight puts extra stress on the furniture, but I think I make the salesmen I've spoken to uncomfortable when I bring it up.
    ---
    I've been looking at a Broyhill sectional that seems to be a reasonable price to me (2,000 pre tax for a 3 piece configuration) Here is the link-http://www.furniturebrands.com/content/uploads/broyhill/catalogs/6633-Tribeca-LR.pdf. I know they are considered lower-mid grade, but was wondering if I could get more information on why. It appears they are at least assembled in the US (I assume many parts are from other countries). It also looks like they use a combination of Solid Wood and Pressed wold, assembled in an interlocking format. The frame itself seems like it would be sturdy to me.
    They also use cushions with springs in them encased in foam. Can anyone speak to these? It seems like they would last longer than just foam, but I don't really know anything about that.
    I also realize they use sinuous spring on the bottom, and webbing on the back.
    --
    As for the sinuous springs, I know that is considered inferior quality, and I understand why. I just don't understand the specifics. Over time, will they begin to sag more? Is there a possibility that they will just snap one day? Or do they just tend to sag more when you sit on them, but sag the same amount over time.
    ----

I also looked at a sectional by Smith Brothers of Berne. It is around twice the price (just a little over 4,000 pre tax), but seems to be better constructed. The coils aren't 8 way tied, but seem to be of a similar quality. Here is a link on their construction - http://www.smithbrothersfurniture.co...uctionfeatures Does anyone know how this would compare to traditional 8 way hand tied coils? It seems to me it may hold up a bit better.

-----
    My current couch I'm using was an 8 way tied couch with jute webbing at the bottom. It seems to have been well constructed, and was a hand me down. The webbing ripped at the edges and the springs dropped down to the ground. The best estimate I was able to get was 800-1000 to repair and reupholster it (it's pretty long). I would also have another 500 dollars or so to reupholster the loveseat to match the fabrics. I haven't had anyone look at it in person yet, but those were the best estimates I could get on the phone.

I'm just worried about what is stopping the webbing from ripping again. Was it my weight that did it, or was it just due to the age of the couch?

--

To sum it up, I'm just not sure what my best move is, and don't feel like I have the knowledge to make an informed choice. Will the 2nd couch really last twice as long (or more) as the first couch? How long can I expect these couches to last (I know it's hard to say, but are there general time frames)? Also, I know Mr Collie doesn't sell either of these brands, so I'm not expecting exact answers.

Also, I had one last question about warranties. Smith brothers warranty says it covers the cushions, springs, and frame for the "lifetime of the product." Is there any tricky definition to that, or is it really for as long as I have the piece? Broyhill's warranty is only for 5 years for just parts for the frame and springs, and 3 year for the cushions. Also, the warranty only covers labor for one year for all of these pieces.
    How much value should I put into the warranty? It sounds like Broyhill really only expects 5 years out of theirs, while Smith Brothers expects much longer.

Sorry again for being so long-winded, but I appreciate any help that anyone could give.

Thanks!
    Last edited by heinzbitte; 12-29-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Default Re: More information on couches and furniture buying

I don't claim to know very many answers to your questions, but I have reviewed Smith Brothers furniture before and found the products to be Excellent. To me their approach to the spring construction produces a high-quality and durable Sofa or Sectional. Can't say it is identical to 8-way-hand-tied in characteristics but it does get my stamp of approval. Regarding their warrantee, I don't see any tricks or false claims in their wording. I think you would be very safe in actually calling the Company and discussing your weight and your typical use of the furniture and get their recommendation. You could also get some direct answers about the warrantee. My first choice in Leather Furniture would be Hancock and Moore, but Smith Brothers was also a strong contender in the pieces i have selected. On Smith Brothers Sectionals you can see their work sheet on-line as to selecting the "Build" you want, inclusive of the dimensions offered. If you happen to consider H&M you can view a current list of their Town and Country Program styles and covers within this forum by searching "2014 Town and Country". That promotional program offers the lowest pricing, but does have specific leather covers within the program. If you end up wanting prices and some shipping information on H&M Styes, just select the ones you are thinking about and send a Private Message to Duane (drcollie) and he will give you a quote.

heinzbitte Guest

Thank you for the help. I should have mentioned it originally, but I've never liked leather that much. I know it is much more durable and longer lasting than fabric, but I just don't like the feel of it.

Looking at their construction I see they (Hancock and Moore) use solid webbing reinforced with strips of steel. This is similar to my couch that broke, but it used weaved strips of webbing. Honestly, to me it looks like the Smith Brothers construction would last longer (though may not have the same comfort levels). Is this flawed thinking? Also, is it correct that H&M would most likely be more expensive than Smith Brothers?

Thanks again, I appreciate your time.

My opinion is that at your weight level, you have to have something customized for strength, that's the only way you are going to get long-term durability. Most furniture today is designed for individual weights up to 300 lb, and once you go over that you have to change the components (which are available). This will mean spring rates, cushion core densities, frame re-enforcements, probably a double-up on the steel banding and stronger webbing. That's going to cost you more, but not an insane amount. The key is to work with a dealer - and a maker - that will do this for you. And you won't find it in the bulk of the brands out there - they're not interested. Of the makers I have, I would trust only Jimmy Moore at Hancock and Moore to build you a lasting piece because he knows how to do it. Others might say they do, but in my book they REALLY do not know how to build it. The way I see it, you have two choices 1) buy less costly sofas - even at the Costco level and throw them out every 2 to 3 years when they fail, or 2) get the custom made and you're done with it for the next 20 + years. Yes, you're looking at $ 5K and up on an H&M (depending on model) but should it ever break-down which is unlikely - you'll get a free fix on it because it was known going into the build the requirements, and they keep excellent records at H&M.

If you decide to go with something like a Smith Bros with sinuous springs, you would want to again talk to them about total weight on the piece and see if they would add additional rows of springs and buttress the frame. That's not going to perform like an 8-way, but it may hold up decently. Flexsteel uses a torsion steel spring system, and its pretty tough, I've never seen anyone break or collapse one of those, but their frames are plywood so over time while the springs would likely hold, the sofa may loosen and wiggle in the frame. That can be minimized by being careful sitting into the piece and not 'plopping' down into it.

I'm very careful about selling pieces to folks over 300 lb. because I understand the stress issues on the pieces and don't want to sell you something that will fail in a short period of time. I frequently turn away sales when I know my larger customers want a particular brand (such as Bradington-Young) and I know they can't build to accommodate the weights that will be on the piece. And definitely stay away from motion products, the max rated weight load mechanism is currently 350 lb. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

heinzbitte Guest

Thank you Duane, I appreciate the help. It sounds like I should go back to my dealer and request they get more information from the companies before making a choice.