Thread: Why Loveseats can cost more than Sofas

Default Why Loveseats can cost more than Sofas

One of the great value programs from Hancock and Moore is the Town and Country 'Married Cover' program. Margins on those items are razor-thin, and nothing is taken out from a component or quality standpoint. H&M saves can offer these pieces at those prices by having the leathers not only sourced from Chinese tanneries, but cut and sewn there as well. They are then shipped over in 'kit form' to NC and when an order arrives, the kit is pulled and put on the USA made and upholstered frame.

The ration of sofas sold to loveseats is about 12 to 1. Kits have to be ordered in a specific hide and specific style in batches of 100 to get the cost savings. That ration means there is not enough volume to order 100 kits in the loveseat version.

So, when an order comes in for a matching sofa and loveseat in the Town and Country program, the sofa is a bargain and the loveseat is more expensive. It seems out-of-balance, doesn't it?

The loveseat has to be done from scratch is why it costs more. There are no kits for it.

Another problem surfaces in matching hides when a T&C Married Cover Sofa is in the mix. The loose leather they have in NC to make the loveseat won't match what is in the sofa kits - so in that case they have to take a sofa 'kit' and cut the middle out of it, resew and re-tailor it to get a matching loveseat. Again, several hours more of labor to do it that way.

My advice is to buy two sofas in the Married Cover program if your room can take them, rather than a sofa/loveseat combo. It typically will cost you less overall to do it this way.

I hope that explains it some, why a loveseat can cost more than a sofa when on promotional deal pricing.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dustinh Guest

Duane, what about pricing outside of the T&C program. In other words, if one was looking at a loveseat in a leather not offered in the T&C program, would that loveseat be slightly less expensive than a sofa in that same leater? For example...the other day you quoted someone $4249 for a journey sofa in grade 3. How much would the loveseat be?

Generally once you come out of the T&C program and customs, a Loveseat will be appx. $ 200 less in a frame series, if there is one available.

Loveseats do not sell anywhere close to the volume of sofas, which is why you don't see them offered in many of the groupings.
    Duane Collie

Gus Guest

Do the apartment sized sofas...like the Welch like a loveseat in a room...or more like sofas? I'm considering an apt sized piece, but I do not want it to look like a loveseat.

Apartment-Sized Sofas fill the niche between full-size sofa and Loveseat. Check the overall width and you will see that most Loveseats are under 72", and most full-sized sofas are 83" and longer. The Apartment-Sized ones fall right in the middle ground. I like them a lot! They are not a high volume seller, and many customers will tend to buy as large a sofa as they possibly can (for laying down upon) and it really 'pushes' the available space in their room. Often they would be far better off from a design standpoint in maintaining spatial clearance and buying in this category rather than the large sofas which push right into the corners of their rooms.
    Duane Collie