Thread: Furniture Layout Odd shape Living Room Open Floor Plan

Jabra Guest

Default Furniture Layout Odd shape Living Room Open Floor Plan

Greetings,

Our home has somewhat of an odd open floor plan layout and I am looking for advice on optimal furniture arrangement. This is the main living area of our house. The living Area is actually two living areas separated by a fireplace but connected via two arched openings. The smaller living area is more of a gallery. The living Area is open to the Kitchen/dining room as well as open to the foyer and formal dining area. The living room is carpeted however there is hardwood carried from the foyer to the kitchen effectively cutting off a corner of the living room carpet. We currently have a sectional we do not like, very uncomfortable and not conversation. We are looking to move to a sofa and two swivel/glider chairs but are having trouble figuring out the optimal layout for the furniture that is functional and looks right with the fireplace being the focal point of the room, but maintain functional for TV viewing. There is only one large wall which currently occupies the television and this is really the only place a television can work in the living room, the fireplace is much too high to mount a television. We like the idea of swivel gliders that can be swiveled to watch tv, or swiveled to have conversation with people on a sofa. We currently are leaning towards H&M Sundance sofa since the sofa would not be against a wall and would work well in this open concept. Any suggestions on layout would be appreciated for new furniture, we would like to seat 5 comfortably in this space. Attached is a few room mock ups, I can attach actual pictures of the space if anyone is interested.

Thanks for this forum!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg 
Views:	10672 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	6772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg 
Views:	8117 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	6773
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout1.jpg 
Views:	2273 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	6770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout2.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	6771  
    Last edited by Jabra; 01-07-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Default Re: Furniture Layout Odd shape Living Room Open Floor Plan

THAT.....is a challenging layout. I don't think either of your drawings are going to work, because of the carpet/border break on hardwood to carpet, you are going to be forced to follow that line with your furniture in some manner otherwise it won't look right. One of the things I would want to do in that room is keep the piece looking 'light' and 'airy'. Bulk is not your friend. Right off the bat I can tell you that the TV is killing you in that room, that wall is where your primary seating should be (sofa) and then chairs on the diagonal. The architect never intended for a flat screen TV to be in that room layout, so the first question is - can you re-locate that to another area? That will determine the spatial layout. If yes, we can look at a layout done one way, and if the TV has to stay in that room then I think what I would consider is removing that enclosure for it entirely and hard-mount it on the wall like a picture, then use infrared repeaters / wi-fi etc for your controls so all wiring is concealed. Then I'd place a sofa underneath it on that wall, and come out with a pair of swivel comfortable chairs out by the diagonal (these would be your TV watching chairs). I don't see a satisfactory layout with the TV located in that entertainment center occupying that entire wall. And of course, this is all based on looking at just those two photos.....
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-07-2015 at 11:59 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Furniture Layout Odd shape Living Room Open Floor Plan

Firstly, your home is beautiful! When analyzing your quest, I found myself in exactly the position expressed by drcollie and was thinking one specific change to the archway left of fireplace should be considered. If you were to build-in a bookcase / display shelving unit, it could ease the challenge. That would give extra design / purpose to both adjoining rooms and provide a place for your entertainment setup. It looks like there is enough depth in the Living Room Side to allow for angling your flatscreen TV just enough to be able to view it comfortably from a Sofa on the current wall that has the Entertainment Unit. The "Gallery" side would gain a place for Books and Display Accessories, perhaps even a Game Cabinet. You still have more than ample "Traffic Flow". On the Living Room side you can build in hidden wiring room in the back of the new shelving unit. Looks like there would be room for a Sofa, and two single seating pieces with a coffee table in front of the Sofa and an occasional table adjacent to other seating.