Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on H&M sofa styles

pucks104 Guest

Default Thoughts on H&M sofa styles

DH and I are redoing our living room. The room is very small (11'x14') and North facing so no direct sunlight and rather dark. The two windows in the room are one the outside 14' wall. The flooring is Amber toned oak and we will be painting the walls Sherwin Williams Ramie which is khaki with a soft green undertone. This is one of the few paint colors able to hold its own in the lighting in this room. None of the current items will remain in the room except a cherry ceiling fan. The ceilings are 8'. So DH is 6'1" and I am 5'4" neither unduly heavy. We sat on a H&M Austin High Back sofa last weekend and OMG! So very comfortable, however, I expect that the style would dwarf our little room. We are thinking of a leather sofa, a leather recliner or tilt back and ottoman and a fabric chair. Also a rug, new art work, small media console, end tables, lamps and throw pillows. No coffee table due to space. We have 3 dogs (2 large that do not get on the furniture and one 10-11 lb. dog that does get on the furniture. Right now he is laying across my lap as it is cold here in NC. We have a 1 year old granddaughter. I am training all of us to eat in the dining room and not in the living room. Pretty sure I want Capri leather. The color will ultimately depend on the rug and artwork.
    Now styles I see on the H&M website that appeal:
    As mentioned Austin due to incredible comfort
    Crosby NC329 love the look
    Tower sofa4196 and Aria 3-Seat sofa because I tend to sit sideways with my feet up on the sofa and the arms on these styles are higher
    City sofa or Oslo because the styling is more casual and might be a better fit with our little ranch style house
    The furniture we purchase will be used daily and I hope it will last a long time. We bought an Ethan Allen sofa about 3 years ago and my back bothers me whenever I sit on it for more than an hour. I have decided that it must go.
    Looking forward to input. It is hard to find the H&M styles we are interested in in the stores locally so input is really appreciated.

Default Re: Thoughts on H&M sofa styles

Happy to suggest that most H&M Sofa choices offer comfortable seating, and while the Austin is among the most comfortable the style also puts forth a larger image than the other choices you mention. The Tower's arm flair and height may also give a larger overall appearance than the City or the Crosby. With the room being somewhat smaller, I am liking the idea of the Crosby the best, although the City is appealing as well. The Crosby back is slightly lower than the other choices you reference and with the overall style of this Sofa, it may look crisp yet comfortable in the small room. To me the City looks a little more relaxed, but both Sofas can fit-in well in a den look or a living room look.

pucks104 Guest

Thank you for your thoughts wisejd. I really love the style of the Crosby. I will need to find one for DH and I to sit on. The difference in our heights is a challenge for sofas. How do you think the room would look with a leather Crosby sofa, a fabric Crosby chair and another higher back leather recliner for DH. If this configuration would look ok in my little room, do you or others have suggestions for recliners that might fit a 6'1" guy and look good with the Crosby sofa and chair?

My concern would be the inside depth of the Crosby. H&M shows specs of 24.5", the Austin high back she found comfortable is 21". I'm 5'10" and 24" is to much for me.

pucks104 Guest

I wondered about that myself though I think my DH would find three additional depth on the Crosby to be an asset. I talked via email with a guy at Furnitureland South in High Point, NC today and he is checking to see if they have a floor model of the Crosby we could try for fit. I am really hesitant to order with trying out the sofa style first so I hope to find a floor sample to try. I do really like the Crosby style.

Furnitureland South is in High Point, and the H&M factory is only 90 minutes from there - if you can't find a particular floor model to see in person, its possible to find when one is coming off the production line at H&M and you can drive up there during a weekday to see it and take a tour. Don't expect the Crosby to sit like the Austin, it won't even be close. The Austin does come in a standard model size which is more compact in all dimensions than the High Back variant and may fit your space better.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pucks104 Guest

Thank you Duane. I had decided that I would enjoy a tour of the H&M factory regardless of which sofa we finally decide on. Comfort is really important since this will be our everyday furniture. I don't want another disappointment like the Ethan Allen sofa that looks good but has no real support so isn't comfortable. However, I also want this room to look nice in terms of scale and pieces that fit our room and with each other. So while I am trying out sofa models I will be shopping for our rug which will help determine colors and other decor. I look forward to seeing how H&M makes its furniture from the inside out. I think my DH will enjoy that as well. The forum is a great source of information. I have really learned a lot about how to shop for furniture.

pucks104 Guest

Bowen Town and Country has the Arrington sofa in Piazza Mink for $2935.00. Is this a good price, Duane?

If its good for you, its good for me
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pucks104 Guest

I'm taking that as an indication that the price is reasonable since I didn't feel any gasps over virtual space. Convinced DH to make a trip to Hickory Park Galleries tomorrow so maybe we'll get the opportunity to test out other H&M sofa models and maybe see some rugs as well.