Thread: Need help with colors and furniture configuration

m_auclair Guest

Default Need help with colors and furniture configuration

I'm trying to decide whether or not we should break the bank and go with a sectional or if separate pieces might "fit" better in our space. I think our area is awkward so I feel overwhelmed trying to configure a layout. The room is 24x14.5 There is some "dead" space behind our current sofa and I'm at a loss of how to fill that too

We have been considering the H&M Austin high back series. So far it provides the most comfort that we have found. With pets, two teenagers and heavy use, durability is important. My husband is adamant about being able to recline (recliner built into sofa or ottoman) so I need to include that into whatever layout we decide on.

I'm trying to think about color too. I've always leaned toward a medium to dark brown however I did see the Austin in the Oxblood color and I think the color might actually match our area better. I'm not a "red" person so I'm surprised I liked it. Some guidance/suggestions here would be great.

Here are some photos of what I'm trying to work with:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	6780   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	404 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	6781   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	384 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	6782   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	380 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	6783  

m_auclair Guest

Default Re: Need help with colors and furniture configuration

Here are a few more different angles of the area:

This is the dead space behind current sofa
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	345 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	6784

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	309 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	6785
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	309 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	6786  

I think what you might want to consider in this room is doing some decorating basics along with the furniture replacement. If the Austin series works for you, then no need to look further - its very popular and you can get it in a range of pieces, both stationary and recliner-based. Note that the Cavalier Oxblood is a promotional hide on the Austin series, but its not applicable to the sofas with the built in recliners. If we were going more for style than comfort (and could give up the recline features) a H&M Sundance Sectional would look like a million bucks in that room. Like this:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...kipling+cognac

What I think your space is crying out for is some framework. If that were my house, first thing I would do in the makeover would be to put down a larger area rug (my tastes lean towards Turkish-made tribal rugs) with a lot of color pop. That's going to 'frame out' the room, and also give you what I would imagine is a much needed sound deadener (that will make TV watching much more pleasant as well). Then, some window treatments to tie in with the rug and bring some color to the walls and cut down glare. Don't be concerned with the dead space behind the sofa - if you go with a dual recliner sofa its going to come back into that space some 16" when fully reclined.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

m_auclair Guest

Adding that "framework" is what really has me stumped. We are coming from a small farmhouse style home which was warm and easy to decorate. This new home is much more open and modernized that I have been having difficulty finding things that blend, making it easier for me to just leave it until something pops out at me. Needless to say, nothing has popped out at me yet and we have been here 7 years now. Part of the problem is that I still love that country farmhouse look - I just can't seem to make it fit here.

I will definitely need to put more thought into decorating windows, walls and floor space. There is a lot of custom lighting to draw attention to certain wall hangings (walls are still bare).

Do you suggest adding the framework before I think about furniture?

I would have a blast decorating that room as there is so much there to work with. Now, my tastes are not YOUR tastes, so there is that - but if that were my house I'd start with a rug like this....

Some single panel window treatments to color match into the rug, then come in with some burnished leather hides on my Hancock and Moore furniture. The room would be killer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

m_auclair Guest

I realize this thread is old but I am still in the same position trying to find leather furniture for my living room. It still looks like the pictures I posted above.

I like the idea of a rug to pull the room together and a simple panel for the Windows. With the panels I'm undecided if I should go white or something deeper in color. The throw rug is busier than I like so many a similar pattern just toned down.

Does anyone have recommendations as far as sectional or standard sofa and two chairs?

Comfort wise- I need a sofa/sectional with at least two recliners and a high-back. I love the softer feeling leather that swallows you up when you sit in it. Comfy, like an old pair of sneakers. I'd like to stay within the $5000 price range (still above my budget but I don't want to buy total garbage).

Furniture style, color and decorative suggestions welcome!

cat@atl Guest

Could do a couch then 2 chairs at either side of the wood-burning stove (more traditional layout) but it seems you need all seats facing the TV. If a sectional, then add a side table (and lamp?) at the fireside and as that seat would be far from the coffee table.

Could do sectional (I agree it works great for that space) and replace the rocker with a single chair, brought closer to the stove and into the sectional gathering; move firewood to other side of the stove.

OR, could move big chair /ottoman from the corner to window where the rocker is. Make a reading nook with the floor lamp nearby, plus, it's cozy with the wood stove nearby.

If white chest of drawers is not very important where it is, could move to dining room to create a sideboard. Can then put a mirror/artwork above it, a couple lamps, candlesticks, whatever works. Could convert the space it vacated by the staircase to:
    desk with chair
    put the chair and a half there + side table (could slipcover or fake-slipcover chair using a washed, dried, pre-shrunk painter's dropcloth) = reading nook
    do 2 chairs and a table for an intimate sitting area
    do a bench or some other seating (if useful)
    If any of those work, they help create a room out of the dead space behind the couch. If you need storage, maybe a bigger storage piece (armoire), bench + cubbies, etc. could replace the white chest of drawers.

Area rug at the base of the stairs could make that area "a place" (vs a void) and help soften the flagstone/wood floor transition. I've had great luck/durability with jute/seagrass with black cotton webbing around the perimeter (they say every room needs some black in it to tie all elements together).

If the recliner sofa is big enough and there's room between the 2 ends that recline (I assume that's how it would work), could add a console table. Put tall things on it to visually separate living room from entryway (lamps, plants, artwork). I just did this and it works wonderfully. Bonus: the console has a shelf so the cat's bed is in there now (vs. cat sitting on the back of the couch, shedding right next to our heads).

Rugs really bring the room together, tricky with pets (fleas?). Could try something inexpensive and neutral in color (polypropylene material is pretty sturdy; can be cleaned with rented carpet cleaner).

Farmhouse decor (as I understand it) is visually busier than what you have. There's more layering of items: depth, things in front of other things, different textures. You may need more stuff on walls to feel "cozy." It's taken me years to realize I like my floors uncluttered and my walls busy, in the living and dining room. In any case, what do you like in a farmhouse, is it old furniture on light walls, shabby chic, a more southwestern/spanish/tuscan style? That would dictate colors and accessories. Looking at your floors, wrought iron, walls, I am guessing more western or mediterranean-inspired? Try googling those terms for ideas as to what accessories may help complete the look/feel you are after.

Big leather pieces can look very heavy. Can add small blankets/throws, fabric cushions (not too many!!) to soften the look.

Re: curtains, I tried it all (solid that matched the wall paint almost, bright and busy prints, dark that matched the furniture) and ended up with white; I think that would work for anyone who has white trim. I did 1 rod, solid white panels at the ends, sheers in the middle, all done on big grommets so they open easily and stack compactly when you open them. I hung the rods past the window trim so when I open then, the whole window is exposed. They add a lot to the room, but it's serene and clean, not cluttery. Amazon had the best prices for curtains that were inexpensive and looked nice and not plasticky.

m_auclair Guest

Those ideas are fabulous, thank you so much! You highlighted many decorative areas and furniture arrangements that I would never have thought of. I can imagine using so many of those ideas, like a reading nook and creating separation between my dead space and living room area. Curtains were driving me nuts and I think I needed someone to tell me that white is ok.

It helps me to imagine letting go of that small busy country cottage look that I keep trying to hang onto. Thank you.