Thread: Mattress Toppers

dustinh Guest

Default Mattress Toppers

I've been doing a lot of research on which new mattress to buy once my fiancee and I get married. We'd like to get something really nice and have saved enough to spend more than what an "S" brand King would cost. Still, it seems there are some high-end beds out there that are just ridiculously expensive. I visited a Hastens dealer and thought their beds were unbelievably comfortable, but they are WAY outside our price range.

Anyway, from Duane's comments here at MFF, I think we may go with a RP all-cotton King plus either a RP or Hastens topper. My question is...could we use any King topper? or in other words, are all Eastern Kings the same size? From seeing prices given online by customers I think Hastens topper is about $800 more than RP's but after trying both out we may find we like it that much more....some people on the web swear by that horse hair feel. (We haven't had a chance to lay on Royal-Pedic's yet.)

Duane, would you mind quoting the RP all-cotton king delivered to 34990. What's the additional cost for a 4" RP Cloud PT?

I hope our local RP dealer has the 4" to try out.

Thanks.

Dustin,

Good on ya.....I personally think too many people skimp on bedding and I have never understood why - unless you're a traveling saleman you sleep on that bed appx 300 to 330 nights a year. It's money well-spent to buy good bedding.

When I was in my early 20's I had a King Koil bed I bought new, and it was terrible after just five years, that's when I learned about bedding as well. Since the demise of my King Koil, I've had a Shifman and now Royal-Pedics for my personal use. One of the things is to never keep a bed too long (again, most people do). A standard construction bed is all done in 6 to 8 years, a premium bed will go twice that, but not beyond.

I'm not a bedding store. I have a Royal-Pedic dealership only because I wanted that brand for my personal use (perks of the business!). Its the only brand I carry and while its not cheap, its not outrageous, either. They build it the right way and in 15 years of carrying it I've had zero complaints and zero warranty issues. Nothing fancy to look at, but its solid, well-made, and you can get an honest 14 years from a set and it sleeps well (I have an all-cotton with 3" topper in my home for the wife and I, and the kids sleep on all-cottons with no toppers.)

Price on the RP King All Cotton is $ 3,266 and that includes delivery in most of the 48 states (some remote areas have a surcharge as does NYC).

Price on the 3" Topper is $ 1,164 and the 4" topper is $ 1,566.

Yes, all Eastern Kings are standardized and there should be no issues using a topper from another maker on a different brand bed.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dustinh Guest

Thanks for the info Duane. Seems like a very fair price from what I've seen online. How much if I added the 8way tied boxspring....I noticed you have this and wondered if you thought it was worth it/noticeable?

One question before ordering... we are also seriously considering two H&M pieces. While I think we feel comfortable enough now to order the mattress, we'd like to see and sit a lot more H&M pieces before committing...and that probably will not happen till summer. Would we be better off cost-wise (profit and shipping) by ordering everything at once as opposed to individual orders?

Again, thank you for maintaining this great forum.
    Last edited by dustinh; 04-16-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo

I'll have to look it up at the store (cost for the 8-way hand-tied). I want to say it will add about $ 350 to $ 400 on a King since they are really making a pair of Twin XL's, but don't hold me to that. I ordered it on my RP for personal use out of curiosity. It's hard to say, because I was coming off a worn-out Shifman, but I don't think there was a noticeable difference from it and the floor models I have in the store. Now the folks at Royal Pedic think I'm nuts to say that, because they say there is a distinct difference to them....but it may be because I'm a big lug and can fall asleep anywhere.

There's no benefit at all in ordering a RP with H&M. RP is made in Los Angeles CA and H&M in Hickory NC, so they would not combine ship. Do it as you comfortably can. The key to maximizing freight dollars is to order all the pieces from one maker at one time that you forsee wanting/needing. That will save a bit of money vs ordering a sofa , then coming back and getting a recliner a few months later.

Glad you are learning and enjoying the forum! Lots of good info here not only from myself, but from others as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.