Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pairing suggestions needed

pucks104 Guest

Default Pairing suggestions needed

In our 11'x14' living room, style-wise, suggestions for a recliner or tilt-back and swivel or glider to pair with the Southport sofa? Or a sofa style and swivel or glider to pair with the Moxie recliner?

Default Re: Pairing suggestions needed

Room photos and a layout diagram are needed at a minimum to make good recommendations. Generally in a small room that is 11' x 14" you want to keep your scale small, that that can rule out tilt backs and recliners.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pucks104 Guest

I will try to work up a room diagram and take some pictures soon. I would be ok without a recliner or tilt back but how do I keep DH happy? I have been showing him pictures of sofas and chairs from your site of Hancock and Moore furniture and he commented yesterday that they really make beautiful pieces. He has never had any interest in how furniture looked unless he noticed it because it was especially ugly.

scone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pucks104 View Post
    In our 11'x14' living room, style-wise, suggestions for a recliner or tilt-back and swivel or glider to pair with the Southport sofa? Or a sofa style and swivel or glider to pair with the Moxie recliner?
    The Southport sofa is rather large-scaled. I think it could easily overwhelm a small living room. IIWY I'd consider something on a much smaller scale, such as the Reserve, the Studio, or the Metro. If you get a smaller sofa, plus two club chairs and an ottoman, you will have plenty of seating. The ottoman can be paired with a chair, or you can get a large ottoman/coffee table to serve the whole seating group, which is very comfortable. In fact, I think it can sometimes be more comfortable than a recliner, because it's easier to get in and out of the thing. Also, there are fewer mechanical parts, so potentially less maintenance.

Speaking of maintenance, while I love tufting, and have a tufted chair, I will never buy another one. Keeping all those navels vacuumed out gets rather tedious!

pucks104 Guest

Thank you Scone. I fear that you are correct and that the Southport will probably overwhelm our little room. What if we went with the Oscar Power Recline Sofa, Oscar Glider and Jameswood Chair.

Duane, if we chose the Oscar set, what do you think it would look like covered in either Quintessence Bark or Mink with the end side panels in Prism Cocoa. Then do the Jameswood Chair in a complimentary Quintessence or Capri?

pucks104 Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	6794. The living room measures 10'7" wide and 14' long. It is a basic rectangle with the two windows seen in this picture. I am on my IPad so I am not sure if the picture will post. The furniture in the room is my sister's and will be leaving in a couple of month's once she gets resettled. The wall color will change based on the furnishings we decide to purchase.

pucks104 Guest

Views:	322 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	6795 the picture over the sofa may remain in the room or I may move it to another room and get another painting. The puppy's pen on the close end of the sofa will come down as Leo is almost 2 years old and has matured into a lovely dog.

pucks104 Guest

Views:	294 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	6796 this is the painting that may remain in the room depending on what else we decide to do with the room.

scone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pucks104 View Post
    Thank you Scone. I fear that you are correct and that the Southport will probably overwhelm our little room. What if we went with the Oscar Power Recline Sofa, Oscar Glider and Jameswood Chair.

Duane, if we chose the Oscar set, what do you think it would look like covered in either Quintessence Bark or Mink with the end side panels in Prism Cocoa. Then do the Jameswood Chair in a complimentary Quintessence or Capri?
    The Oscar sofa is 40.5" in depth, plus 3" to recline. That's still taking a lot of space out of the room. You have to leave space for a coffee table, typically 18" all around it, and space for people to get in and out of the room. And if a television cabinet is in there, that takes out at least another 18". This is just too deep, IMO. Not everything has to recline or swivel in order to be comfortable-- take a look at the H & M Occasional Chairs. I really think a smaller scale chair will be just as comfortable, and much easier to use in a small room like you have. Why not take another look at the Metro? It's a classic design that won't go out of style quickly, and it's only 36.5" deep. You can get it with matching chairs and an ottoman. I think something like that will work much better for you.

I'm in more or less the same situation as you. My TV room is 11'3" x 14'3". I have two side chairs that are about 30" x 30", plus two wing chairs that are filling in for a sofa at the moment. The wing chairs are only 34" deep, and that just barely leaves enough space for the TV cabinet, a coffee table, and a "corridor" for people to get in and out. There really isn't another spare inch in there. So that's why I'm saying, go for smaller rather than larger. After all, it's not the outside dimensions that provide the comfort, but the inner dimensions that you actually touch.

ETA: On second thought, here's another idea. You might be able to get a small scale sectional into that room, with one section where the sofa is now, and another section on the wall that has the lattice decoration. That would eliminate the side chairs. One person could put their feet up on the sofa, while another person sits upright. Instead of a large coffee table, you might use two small round cocktail tables or nesting tables. That would give a lot of seating facing the TV and still work in the room. I would also suggest a higher cabinet for the TV, so the viewing angle doesn't put a crick in your neck. Just a thought.

ETA: Here's yet another idea, which might work if the room is only going to be used by the two of you. Take the television set and put it on the wall where the sofa is now, surrounded by shelving (for DVDs, sound equipment, etc.). This is easy for a cable guy or handyman to do. Then get two recliners and put them approximately where the side chairs are now, with a lamp table between them. Add draperies across the window wall, a big rug, and some decoration. Each of you gets a recliner that can be fairly large because these are the only big pieces in the room, and there should be plenty of room for them to recline! Bingo-- a media room for two.

O.K., I'll stop now.
    Last edited by scone; 01-16-2015 at 12:05 PM.

pucks104 Guest

Thank you Scone. These little rooms are a challenge. We had decided not to get a coffee table just an end table on each end of the sofa and possibly an ottoman though we hadn't decided for sure. I will look at the Metro again. We will be adding a higher media console. The chest was just temporary until we figure out a style for the room. I like the look of a linen blend curtain so we will probably go that route but again final determination will depend on the furniture. We are heading to High Point tomorrow to hopefully see some more styles of H&M sofas. I will try to get DH to consider the non recliner route but that tends to be his napping place. Sofas have to be pretty long for him to stretch out on the sofa for a nap.