Thread: Bradington Young - Materials of Manufacture - Feathers/Down

RamblingRick Guest

Angry Bradington Young - Materials of Manufacture - Feathers/Down

Just discovered an issue affecting several Bradington Young leather pieces purchased several years ago. When furniture shopping it was made clear that any item containing feathers/down was not an option. Yesterday I noticed a feather protruding from the seam of a sofa cushion. Pulled it out, opened the cushion zipper, and found numerous loose feathers and a feather topping on the foam cushion. Checked other pieces and found the same issues. No where on the materials list are feathers/down indicated. One of the cushions (inside) had a stick on label indicating feather top on finished side (or similar wording). This explains years of medical issues related to allergies.

Just checked the BY website and found no contact info for customer service. The BY (current) warranty info on the website addresses wear/failure issues. This is not a wear/failure issue. This would be a manufacturing error (installed feather topped cushions in non-feather topped pieces) and/or failure to identify materials of manufacture. Going to call BY and see what happens.

Default Re: Bradington Young - Materials of Manufacture - Feathers/Down

Bradington Young went to Premier Down as their standard core a few years ago, switching from standard foam to the down. Sorry your sales rep was not up to speed on your inquiry, but its probably not a manufacturing error. I've never seen feather leakage in a B-Y piece as they are enclosed in down proof ticking and the leather is nearly impervious, but I suppose it can happen. Contact your selling dealer for a solution, B-Y generally will not discuss issues with retail consumers and will insist you work through a dealer. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

RamblingRick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Bradington Young went to Premier Down as their standard core a few years ago, switching from standard foam to the down. Sorry your sales rep was not up to speed on your inquiry, but its probably not a manufacturing error. I've never seen feather leakage in a B-Y piece as they are enclosed in down proof ticking and the leather is nearly impervious, but I suppose it can happen. Contact your selling dealer for a solution, B-Y generally will not discuss issues with retail consumers and will insist you work through a dealer. Good luck.
    In order to include feathers in the manufacture, they have to be documented on the materials tag. The materials tag definitely does not list down/feathers. It was not a sales rep issue, they checked with BY. Some of the pieces were ordered. Others were stock. None identified down/feathers in materials. These are not full down, but a topping layer of down on the foam seat cushion. No idea if there are any feathers in the back or elsewhere.

This is an allergy issue which is why we were very careful in confirming content before purchase. Several years of medical issues have been endured due to the chronic exposure to allergens. Now that the issue has been identified, the immediate required action is get it all out of the house. Then get BY to replace with down/feather free.

Do you have any information on when BY went to Premier Down and whether this was just a down topper or full down? I think we need to check current BY materials tags to see if they now identify down/feathers.

I don't recall exactly when they made the switch-over to the Premier Down and standard in most pieces, but I would guess it was 3 years or so ago. As for labeling tags, those requirements vary by state, and are usually mandated by the State Health Department - you may want to contact yours for more details as to what is legally required on labeling. These are the current cushion standards in effect, and they have not changed in some time to my knowledge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	by.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	6797
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.