Getting our Family Room carpet replaced by Home Depot tomorrow. They had a $ 39 installation special going, so my wife and I took advantage of that for our 23' x 21' great room. As we wrote up the order, they said "Do you want the old carpet removed and disposed of, and will we be moving your furniture?" Now most people would say 'yes' to that, but I asked "Is that an additional cost?" Why...yes it was! $ 485 to remove and dispose of the old carpet and $ 250 to take the furniture out of the room and move it back in. Seriously?!?! I said "No way, I'll do it myself".

I have a pickup truck, a carpet knife, live 5 miles from the landfill and have been moving furniture for 30 years...I got this. The Home Depot clerk was astonished and said "Are you sure? No one ever does that". HA! Yeah, now I see why the installation is only $ 39, the gotcha is on the back end. I told my wife, "It will take me 90 minutes to move the furniture into the hall, cut and remove the old carpet and pad, and then 30 minutes to move the furniture back in after they are done. And since I don't make $ 367 an hour, I'll be doing that job. Tricky guys on that carpet install....