Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations desperately needed

youngbuyer Guest

Default Recommendations desperately needed

I think I have spent every waking moment reading all of this valuable information, but I am the most indecisive person alive! So....please make my decision for me!

We are a young family with two children ages 2 and 4, no pets. We love Hancock and Moore products, don't love the price - but I understand you sometimes get what you pay for and I am hoping to buy something we will love and live on daily for years. We DO need to keep price in mind at least a little. We are in need of new family room furniture that will stand the test of time and withstand the tortures of children.

I am very Type A but am looking for something very comfortable and fairly casual, we are tall people- like deep seats/higher backs. Need a new full room - sectional and chair, couch and love seat or whatever your knowledgeable minds can recommend!

I like the style of the September sectional, but am not even sure if a sectional is what I should go with (see indecisive!). Do not love reclining pieces or chaise so would like an ottoman or some option (that is not a coffee table, which is too dangerous for toddler heads) for propping up feet.

So... you tell me
    - sectional or what furniture piece combos
    - leather selection (I like dark mocha type color - need child durable)
    - HELP, basically sums it up!

Also just moved from Chicago to NC - so tell me when/where to buy!

Thanks in advance - your expert knowledge is a life (and pocketbook) saver!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1422059188512.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	6825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1422059234506.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	6826  

Default Re: Recommendations desperately needed

I would like a sectional in that room, I think it will fit it well (such as the September piece by H&M). Use a Cocktail ottoman out in front of it like the Campaign # 072 and you will be in business. Your TV is high-mounted, so a cocktail ottoman you can put your feet up on will allow you to slouch in the sectional a few inches for a better viewing angle. The September Sectional is in the Town and Country promo in Document Saddle, which while not my favorite hide, will be priced right and is child-friendly. PM me for a quote, I can easily ship to you in NC at prices better than you can get from most Carolina dealers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

youngbuyer Guest

I think I am going to visit the only local H&M dealer I could locate tomorrow and see what I can sit on before I call Duane to place my order. My husband is not sold on a sectional and wants a couch and love seat combo, so let the war begin! As previous stated I do need to keep price in mind and do have 2 young children, but I'd rather get high quality from the start. I love a deal and would purchase a color I didn't love or a style that was my #2 or 3 pick off a showroom floor at a 'great deal' in a heartbeat - so if anyone (or Duane!) Sees a showroom bargain then I'm your lady!

We currently own a miller recliner in document dark cherry. We have owned this chair for a little over 3 years and no one has ever sat in it, like literally never. I paid waayyy too much for this chair for anyone to 'mess it up'! Well during our recent move the movers damaged the back of the chair, instead of purchasing a new chair I've decided to bite the bullet and just buy a new H&M set (maybe sectional). The document dark cherry is almost black looking, love the color but a little too dark for my wants in a sectional and is also kind of stiff and waxy for my liking (but maybe that's BC it's never sat on).

Does anyone watch the Mentalist? I want my couch to look like Jane's after years and years of daily usage (I've attached a photo). Any suggestions on leather selection for something to wear like this?

Name:	s03e08_222ver1.png 
Views:	418 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	6828  

Price wise a sectional and Sofa/Loveseat combo are about the same, just remember that with the sofa/loveseat setup you need more 'clearance' between the two as they look at little off when at right angles and only a few inches apart on the arms. You just have to space them out a bit more. Kids LOVE the corner part of the sectional, that' becomes their 'fort', so keep that in mind as well.

If you want a showroom bargain, I have two sectionals in my store that need to go, was a mistake to floor them as they suck up way too much space in my store and have been there too long. I have my McKinley Leather floor stock coming in and need to make space as well. One is a Hancock and Moore Lacross Sectional in Piazza Tobacco (loveseat/loveseat) and the other a Bradington Young 912 Series in a high end tan aniline leather. with power recliners on each end. I'm going to mark these down to close to dealer cost to get them out the door. Of course, they are in Alexandria VA so would have to be shipped from my showroom or picked up. There are photos of each here on the forum, but I can't post a link here as the forum database is currently in funky mode and needs to be re-booted (will do this on Tuesday). However I will go in an bump each photo thread up so you can see the pieces. Will have to get pricing on Tuesday as well.

On that inset photo - its a pull-up aniline leather you want for that look.
    Duane Collie

youngbuyer Guest

Thank you thank you! You are so knowledgeable... If you told me to just buy a cow and sit on it to watch tv, I probably would!

I would love a price on the Hancock Lacrosse, not my favorite 'color' but I do like a deal! The Bradington is nice, but I think I am sold on buying a H&M.

My next question, again about leather selection. I clearly would love a pull-up aniline as pictured above, but it doesn't seem like that would be a great thing for a Type A with children that will probably puke on it at least once! I have a miller in document and although the price was appealing, the leather just isn't my idea of greatness. So is there a happy medium between duralibility/cleanability and actual soft buttery wonderful leather (document looks and feels over processed to me, almost waxy. It is a hot in summer and cold in winter type of feel to me)? Although I don't want to spend 5 digits on a couch... I want to get something I will LOVE for years, and if it means spending a bit more then it is what it is!

I'm taking my butt to sit on every H&M that I can find tomorrow and hopefully with your leather selection recommendations for my situation I will be PMing you to get a price quote very soon!

Thanks again

youngbuyer Guest

Error

youngbuyer Guest

I ventured out to my local dealer to check out the few items they had on the the floor. They were beyond rude and I will be buying from Duane as he has already been much more helpful and professional then the incompetent saleswoman today.

Found something unexpected that I LOVED and need to have! Please help once again! Grant 3 way recliner, I must own at least one of these! They had it in Scout Clove which I although I really liked it I do not think it is durable enough for my young children.

My questions are
    - What sofa, that sits similar to the Austin High back (loved the sit of this sofa-deep, tall back, great fit, but 'style' isn't right for my taste) will coordinate with the Grant
    - Although I really want unprotected for its look and feel - I'm going to go protected BC of kids and wondering if you have any suggestions on leather- i liked (for a protected) Aspen olive, aspen tobacco,portfolio walnut, portfolio tobacco, piazza mink. Would any of these look nice on the Grant?
    -Consulting the above photos would 2 grants and a couch be too much in my space?
    - Would the lacrosse sectional that is going to be marked down work with a Grant?
    Last edited by youngbuyer; 01-26-2015 at 05:20 PM.

If you care to elaborate, i'd love to hear the story of the interaction between you and the salesperson. Its more than anecdotal, I actually discuss these interactions with the owners of Hancock & Moore as we frequently talk about how salespersons can be the weak link in customer/dealer/purchase transactions.

Lots of sofas can go well with the Grant Lounger. I'd look at the Shellback, the Teton, Kodiak, LaCross and even the Sundance as possibilities. None will sit like the Austin High Back though - that piece has a unique sit that is not really duplicated by anything else in their lineup. Scout Clove will be fine as a leather - as will most all of them except for suedes and the super luxury hides. Your kids can't be THAT tough on things....

Remember that "Protected" just means painted, its not armoured. I raised both my kids on pure anilines in our home with no damage, and that over four different dogs as well. I have only one painted leather recliner in my house, my first leather purchase in 1986 (Hancock and Moore, still have it). Once I got hooked on aniline hides, I never looked back. But yes, those finished leathers you list wll all be fine.

That Grant lounger is wide. I think you would want to watch the sofa length if you are going to flank each side if it with a Lounger. Don't get one too long.

The LaCross Sectional I have in my store is a # 5342-2RAC-NC / 5342-2LAF-NC in GR 2 leather with an MSRP of $ 19,860. I will sell off my floor model (one only) at $ 6,870 as a cash/check price - add 2 % for a credit card and it will show some very light wear on it. I normally don't quote my selling prices in the forum, but will make an exception this one time - a new one would cost you $ 9,930 + shipping. If $ 3K off isn't an incentive then I don't know what is!
    Duane Collie

youngbuyer Guest

Thank you for rapid responses! Oh the lovely saleswoman....well I often encounter this and I think it is BC of my younger age, but it still irritates me beyond words. I cannot tell you how many car salesmen have missed a great sale! I am often initially ignored and then when I finally get assertive and demand assistance I am regularly steered towards things in a certain price point and lesser product, BC without even inquiring, they stereotype my needs and budget (although if they were better at their job they'd notice that my leather boots and purse probably cost more then they make in a month!). Enough of my rant....I was more put off by her lack of knowledge. I inquired as to her opinion on protected vs. unprotected and my likes but fear of having unprotected with messy toddlers, she informed me "just have you unprotected 'sprayed' here before you have it delivered and it will be just like a protected. " I also inquired if there was a product I could apply myself, as maintenance, to help repel stains and she said "I recommend my clients put nonscented white hand lotion on their items biannual in a light even coat". Then to makes matters worse, I had already made it clear I was only interested in H&M and she kept trying to push me towards a bradington young and said clients have had less issues with them then with H&M ( wow really, imagine that after rubbing them down with hand lotion!)

Also she would not allow me to take any samples home. Wondering if you could send me some samples of unprotected so I can test them out? I'm leaning towards a pull up gr3, maybe tiburon java, mink, moss, chestnut and Tuscany harness,saddle,moss and/or any others you would recommend?

Thank you again for everything - your kindness and knowledge is world class.

youngbuyer Guest

Loved this 5008s color until I found the next one...like the bit darker color. Looking for input on leather, nails, wood color so I can get the look of the attached darker tufted back in my grant 3 way.

Name:	5008_Highlands_SO_DP.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	6829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	6837  
    Last edited by youngbuyer; 01-27-2015 at 12:45 PM.