Thread: Cabinets refurnishing vs. new cabinets?

discounthome1 Guest

Default Cabinets refurnishing vs. new cabinets?

Hello Everyone,

Somebody was letting me know something about having the capacity to have my current cupboards refurnished... they are dark and I would like them to be more wood like.... is this better than replacing them? I don't anticipate being in the house, however several years and simply need to make some little changes while I am here. Likewise would it say it is essentially less expensive or simply a bit?

Cabinet Hardware for Less

Thanks You!

Default Re: Cabinets refurnishing vs. new cabinets?

It's difficult to go from dark to light without spending quite a bit of cash to strip and re-finish them. Best bet is to paint them if you want to get into that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by discounthome1 View Post
    Cabinet Hardware for Less
    Your inclusion of that phrase in your post makes me question your motives, but leaving that aside....

As drcollie notes, the cost and difficulty of refinishing cabinetry can be high, so painting may be the best option for going from dark to light at a lower cost. You need to consider how the paint will look, how durable it will be, and how well it will adhere to the surfaces.

There are services that will remove your cabinet doors, possibly paint the cabinet interiors, apply a veneer (real wood or acrylic) over exposed frame pieces, then install new cabinet doors in the color and design of your choice. I've never priced out those services, but I've been told that their cost is often as high as purchasing replacement cabinets. Also, given that many kitchens have builder's grade cabinetry, before considering that sort of refurbishment a homeowner should ask whether it's worth putting that kind of money into mediocre or low-quality cabinetry.

If you are lucky enough to have high-quality cabinetry in your home, investing in refinishing or refacing can make a lot more sense -- but most people don't.

4. 02-04-2015

dizzy Guest

if its in a good condition then no need to buy a new one.i personally went through the same when i saw a tutorial on refurnishing furniture.it was really great and had great tips.you can go through it.i am sure it'll help you

AnnieArmenta Guest

I think replacing them would be a good option. You must have until now. There are new and stylish ones that you can go for if not yet.