Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching (7142-30) Epic Power Recline Sofa with (1026) Royal High-Leg Recliner

first_time_buyer Guest

Default Matching (7142-30) Epic Power Recline Sofa with (1026) Royal High-Leg Recliner

Dear All;

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing an epic recline sofa and 2 royal high-leg recliners for our family/living room. This is the room where we spend most of times as a family. We don't have a formal living room.

We tried the recliner chair and liked it. Then, we learned that there is no sofa that exactly matches it. We liked how the epic recline sofa looked on the web so we thought about this combination. We didn't see it physically in a store. We will likely be selecting Columbia leather (undecided between blackberry and coffee). We needed to go with Grade I leather since price is a concern but we didn't want to sacrifice the reclining option in the sofa.

My question is, does it make sense to match these two pieces together? Any other suggestions would be welcome, e.g., regarding the leather color choice, whether this would be an appropriate selection for a household of 3, with one 6 year old, and plans for another baby soon. I am having a hard time justifying the amount of money that I need to pay to get this set so any feedback on that direction would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1026_Royal_MT_HR.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	6868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7142-30_Epic_MT1_HR.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	6869

Default Re: Matching (7142-30) Epic Power Recline Sofa with (1026) Royal High-Leg Recliner

first-time-buyer, If price is a major consideration you may want to take a look at the thread "Town and Country Program - 2014" within the Forum. This H&M Promotional Program could save you up to 25% over non-T&C styles/covers. We have a Royal High Leg Recliner (1026) and also the Sundance Sofa (4716), both from the T&C Program. This T&C Promotional Program is not available from all H&M Dealers. The Keeping Room does offer these Promotional pieces and excellent delivery options with best-in-class follow-through and follow-up Customer Service. Now with specific regard to your style questions ...I love our Royal High-Leg Recliner however, one of my daughters doesn't like siting in it due to the head-rest cushion which is quite large and can feel like it is pushing your head forward and perhaps downward. If you have the opportunity to sit in this specific style you might pay particular attention to this. I think this may be an issue related to your height from the waist to your head as to me I don't have the issue. An option without this concern would be the very popular Sadler Recliner. In any event H&M offers quite a number of Sofa styles within the T&C Program that have the Power Recliner feature. As to leathers that match and don't clash I would suggest you get a sample of your final selections and consider furniture placement. Our Royal High-Leg Recliner is a deep maroon color and sits across the room from our Sundance which is Portfolio Claret or a cordovan color tone. The Royal High-Leg Recliner leather is smooth while the Portfolio Claret has a nice texture. These two leathers look very nice across from each other but I don't think I would place the two pieces right next to each other.

first_time_buyer Guest

Default Re: Matching (7142-30) Epic Power Recline Sofa with (1026) Royal High-Leg Recliner

Quote Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
    first-time-buyer, If price is a major consideration you may want to take a look at the thread "Town and Country Program - 2014" within the Forum. This H&M Promotional Program could save you up to 25% over non-T&C styles/covers. We have a Royal High Leg Recliner (1026) and also the Sundance Sofa (4716), both from the T&C Program. This T&C Promotional Program is not available from all H&M Dealers. The Keeping Room does offer these Promotional pieces and excellent delivery options with best-in-class follow-through and follow-up Customer Service. Now with specific regard to your style questions ...I love our Royal High-Leg Recliner however, one of my daughters doesn't like siting in it due to the head-rest cushion which is quite large and can feel like it is pushing your head forward and perhaps downward. If you have the opportunity to sit in this specific style you might pay particular attention to this. I think this may be an issue related to your height from the waist to your head as to me I don't have the issue. An option without this concern would be the very popular Sadler Recliner. In any event H&M offers quite a number of Sofa styles within the T&C Program that have the Power Recliner feature. As to leathers that match and don't clash I would suggest you get a sample of your final selections and consider furniture placement. Our Royal High-Leg Recliner is a deep maroon color and sits across the room from our Sundance which is Portfolio Claret or a cordovan color tone. The Royal High-Leg Recliner leather is smooth while the Portfolio Claret has a nice texture. These two leathers look very nice across from each other but I don't think I would place the two pieces right next to each other.
    Thank you for your reply. You provided good ideas. In fact, we have looked at the pieces in the Town and Country Program - 2014, especially the Sundance sofa. However, because we want the reclining option, if we go with the Sundance recline sofa in the promotional leather, the price becomes higher than an Epic recline sofa in Class I leather. At the same time, we are restricted with the placement of the furniture. All three of these pieces must be sitting together, right next to each other. That becomes an issue if we get both the Sundance sofa and Royal High-Leg Recliner from the Town and Country Program because the colors will not match. Or at least, we haven't figured out a way to match them. This led to us to look for some alternatives and the combination that I mentioned is the one we are considering, but it turned out to be a higher price than we thought it was going to be. In fact, the whole process of selecting the styles/covers became much more overwhelming that we thought it would be Anyways, I am open to suggestions if you or anyone would care to share. Thanks!

When you say "...it turned out to be higher than we thought it was going to be", I am wondering if you have communicated directly with Duane via Private Message on the Forum or via email to get a quote. I have found that he has been able to offer great value propositions vs. some other H&M Dealers. Just as an example I found two different Dealers (not Duane) that both had the same Royal High-Leg Recliner from the T&C Program but one was $600 lower than the other. The reason was that the lower cost Dealer had purchased his recliner/s "at Market" in a packaged quantity of six (3 in each T&C Leather), so his cost was much lower. Again, Duane does a lot of H&M volume and definitely offers great value to the end-customer. We found shipping from Va. to Ohio was very reasonable in cost and quite quick (about 4-weeks). Regarding the leather choices, each piece definitely doesn't have to be in the same leather to look great side-by-side but you really should at least see the samples together prior to ordering.

If you would like Hancock and Moore, and are operating within a strict budget, the Town and Country is where you want to be:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...tional-Program

Couple of thoughts.

1) The Royal series recliner # 1026 is a Big Man's chair. Its designed for men over 6' 2". If you don't need one that tall, look at the 1021 Woodbridge which is designed more for folks 5' 6" to 6' 2" (I have had one of these in my home for 29 years now).

2) In either the Royal or the Woodbridge, the married covers Cavalier Henna / Document Chestnut repeat in the Austin series sofa, the High Back # 8138NB. While not a dual recliner sofa, this will be several thousand dollars less than the Epic Power Recliner sofa, and if you use the Austin ottoman off the Chair and a Half, http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1256 you will have virtually the same seating position as a dual recliner with a superior sit and construction. (note that the 8139 Ottoman is not part of T&C).

I'm not a big fan of dual recliner sofas and there are several reasons, so take this into account when making a buying decision. I have one myself that I bought in 2001 new and would not own another:

* They are very heavy. Even though the shipping weight is incorrectly listed as 200 lb by H&M, they are closer to 320 to 340 lb. Difficult to move around and deliver.

* They are costly to build.

* Do you really want to sit that far away from your partner? The middle seat is no man's land, no one will ever sit there! The end unit where the man of the house usually sits will show accelerated wear vs the rest of the piece.

* Dual Recliner sofas are not as strong as stationary. Also, they cannot have the 8-way hand-tied spring suspension you get with the stationary piece.

* A good ottoman in front of a stationary piece works just as well and you can actually have someone sit next to you during a movie, etc and both share the ottoman.

* There are no safety 'pinch' preventers on a power recliner - and yes, liability lawyers would have a field day with that. I believe they are potentially hazardous around small children as the temptation to play with the motorized recliners is huge. This is a steel scissors mechanism that could possibly slice off a small finger if caught in the mechanism while closing. Now while most kids are not going to leave their hands and fingers in that mechanism, the risk is there. One of my kids caught their finger in ours (manual) years ago when they were horsing around and wresting and got a nasty cut. I just made a small demo using what I could find around the store to simulate a finger - a small paint brush made of hard plastic. See for yourself what happens when it closes (Yes, I know, its a bad video - did it with my iPhone). The risk is much lower with a manual recliner as kids can't operate them easily or at least until they are older. Just a data point you probably didn't think about. I prefer to sell power recliners only to adult households for that reason.

Last edited by drcollie; 02-10-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

first_time_buyer Guest

Thanks so much for all your comments! I am seriously considering all of the options you mentioned, including focusing on the promotion program, trying to match different patterns/colors, etc. I will be discussing the recline option in the sofa with my husband and see if he will agree to go with a stationary one instead.

first_time_buyer Guest

After hearing Duane's comparison between stationary and reclining sofas, we decided to go with a stationary one. We want it to be comfortable to make up for the lack of reclining mechanism. Austin seems to be an appropriate choice based on comfort, so that's what we are considering right now. Your feedback on 1026 Royal High-Leg made a lot of sense, and because I am not a tall person, we thought 1021 Woodbridge Chippendale Wing Chair Recliner would work better for me. Husband won't give up on 1026 Royal High-Leg.

This brings us to a rather interesting set: 1 Austin Sofa, 1 1021 Chair (for me), 1 1026 Chair (for my husband). We will go with the same leather/color choice in all pieces. My question is, would it be more appropriate to match 1021 and 1026 chairs with an Austin regular sofa (8134NB, height 36'') or an Austin High back sofa (8138NB, height 41'')? If we went with 2 1026 Chairs, then it looks like the high back sofa would work better, but now that we are thinking of 1 1021 (which is shorter than 1026, 41'' versus 46''), and 1 1026, we are trying to see if the regular sofa will work fine.

If somebody told me a few days ago that I would be considering this set, I wouldn't believe it... but the information you provided helped me to look at the possible options from a completely different perspective and I feel that I am making a more informed decision. I thank you both for that!

Glad to assist, that is what the Forum is here for. Let me ask how tall you and your husband are? That will determine which sofa to get. FYI, I sell the Tall Back unit 8138 at a ratio of about 10 to 1 over the standard 8134. Generally speaking if your husband is 5' 9" or taller he will prefer the High Back. If you are 5' 6" or less, then you will like the standard one best.
    Duane Collie

first_time_buyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Glad to assist, that is what the Forum is here for. Let me ask how tall you and your husband are? That will determine which sofa to get. FYI, I sell the Tall Back unit 8138 at a ratio of about 10 to 1 over the standard 8134. Generally speaking if your husband is 5' 9" or taller he will prefer the High Back. If you are 5' 6" or less, then you will like the standard one best.
    Thanks for your note. Actually, that's why we are having a hard time deciding My husband is a bit over 5'11'' and I am only 5'3''. I can see why the tall back is more popular. I am just worried that I might have the same problem that wisejd mentioned above: the head being pushed forward and perhaps downward due to the large head-rest cushion and where it hits my head. On the other hand, with the standard unit, I am worried that the set might look a bit disproportional because 1021 and 1026 are much taller.

Valid concerns. At 5' 3" you will prefer the standard Austin, he will like the Tall model. So the question then becomes who will use the sofa the most? That's the person who should have the final say between the two models, I think. Typically in most households, the man heads to the recliner and the lady to the sofa.

And I think that you should definitely stay away from the Royal Recliner for you - its far too large and you will get lost in it. He'd be fine in a Woodbridge recliner as well, that chair is made for men his height. Has he had a chance to try both a Royal and Woodbridge out?
    Duane Collie