Thread: B-Y Sectional Pricing

sdglobal Guest

Default B-Y Sectional Pricing

Hi Duane,

I've been following your forum and your posts for some time, as I was doing research to furnish a lower-level media room that will be 15' x 25' when finished (should be done in about 3 weeks or so).

I have a couple of H&M pieces in my first floor family room. However, given the amount of furniture I now need to purchase for all the rooms being created in the finished lower-level (i.e., basement), I think I'm better off going with a B-Y sectional for the media room.

Having said that, I had the chance to sit on the 112 Raleigh this weekend. I thought it was great. However, I am curious if you would know whether the 113 Nashville would sit relatively the same, as it is more my desired style.

Also, could you price a 2-piece and 3-piece sectional for me (either 112 or 113) for delivery to Atlanta?

For the 2-piece, I would want the -93 Left Arm Return Sofa and the -84 Right Arm Sofa.

For the 3-piece, I would want the -67 Large Corner Wedge, -57 Left Arm Loveseat and -58 Right Arm Loveseat.

The leather that I saw (and seemed fine to me) was a Grade 2 9566-86-A or a 9566-87-A. I think it was called the "Bentley Place Collection" leather.

I will also need at least one (if not two) recliners, but figure it's best to start with the sectional.

I would appreciate any info that you could share regarding my questions above, as well as anything else you think I might need to know.

Thanks much,
    Stu

Hi Stu,

Yes, the 112 and 113 are built on the same frame and should sit very similar to one another. B-Y prices and builds the 110,111, 112, 113, 115, and 116 all the same, only the style particulars change.

Pricing is virtually the same in either a 2-pc or 3-pc. In Grade 2 leather, the 2-piece sectional is $ 4,504, and the 3-piece is $ 4,491 (shipping additional on both)

Shipping to Georgia would run appx $ 315 on the 3-piece, slightly less on the 2-piece, via Home Delivery Service. No sales tax collected.

Certainly the B-Y will cost less than H&M, and though its not tailored and detailed as nicely, it will perform solidly and last. The only thing H&M can offer that's even close is the September Sectional in Town and Country priced at $ 5,585.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

carmela39 Guest

Duane,
    I think the price you list in this thread for a three piece might be incorrect since it's lower than a two piece?

I am interested in a BY sectional and I was quoted 6K for a three seat LAF, corner wedge (round) and two piece RAF loveseat, grade 2. Does that quote make sense?
    Carmela

Hi Carmela,

My original prices are correct for that spec. The 3-piece sectional in 112/113 series in a Grade 2 leather is $ 4,491 + shipping of $ 315. No Sales Tax collected.

Every dealer sets his own price, and $ 6K for the set is not out of line. I price a little more aggressively than most is all.

Like the TV ad says: "Operators are standing by to take your order" <g>. Give me a call or PM if you're ready to order it up and we'll get it made for you.
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

Hi Duane,

Would love to sit on the sectional or something close prior to ordering. We loved the 703 grouping but the back cushions must not have been vecroed in properly and it looked "messy" when we got up which bothered me. Have you had customers ever put more velcro stripping on the cushion backs?

Wonder if you could price the 703 sofa and loveseat in a grade 2 and then the married. We sat on the married and it looked fine to my untrained eye.

Bograds in NJ had the sectional and sold it a week before we went shopping. So far I have been unable to locate it in NJ anyplace. Any suggestions?

Carmela

Carmela,

The 703 Group comes with 'Formula 8' cushions as standard from BY, which is a Ultra Down Seat and Blend Down back pillows. That's going to make those back cushions do exactly as you describe. A polyurethane back cushion or even a fiber back one will keep that form better, for sure. You will get a firmer feel by changing to those cushions, however.

As far as more velcro on the back, it can be done but most likely the floor model has had its cushions removed before and no one set them in there correctly when they were put back on the piece. There's a trick to doing that right, and in the case of a back cushion you install the bottom at a sharp angle - then push hard DOWN into the seat as you rotate it up to the vertical back and into the velcro sections. In effect, you compress the cushion downwards before latching it into the velcro. I suspect that would take care of that issue.

703-95 Sofa in Grade 2: $ 2,260. In Married Cover: $ 2,060
    703-75 LoveSeat in Grade 2: $ 2,127. In Married Cover: $ 1,994

Long time readers of this forum know I don't like B-Y's Married Cover pieces, and that's an honest answer. I find the tailoring not as crisp and they include too much leather that should have been laid on the cutting room floor (flawed). I think the B-Y that is cut and sewn in the USA is FAR better, and for the minor price difference you will get a much better crafted piece, and nicer leather. If there's enought price spread, then the trade-off might be worth it, but here you are only looking at 10% or less.

No idea how to find a BY sectional in NJ...sorry. I had one in my store this past fall and discovered my sales floor is far too small for sectionals. They do take up a lot of space.
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

Duane,
    Thanks for the quick response. I think we'll wind up with a grade 2 over married based on all your advice.

Not settled on the sofa yet since now that I know it's a formula 8, I am worried that the seats and back will lose their form quickly. Is formula 14 the more firm feel? Do your customers generally like that?

Is the formula 14 used in the sectional?

Sorry for all the questions. I am also considering the 567-95 based (Cheyenne ) based on the similar specs to 703,which we found comfortable. Have you eve had that one in your store? I like the casual look to that one and will now try to search out who might have one. Do you know if that's formula 14 or 8?
    Sorry for all the questions.

Carmela,

Never apologize for asking questions! That's the whole purpose of this forum, and I love to help out with answers, no matter whom you choose to buy from.

The formula 8's will not lose their shape quickly, but over many years they will look a bit more 'frumpled' that a poly-core cushion. Its a slow process....The Formula 14's will do likewise. Formula 4 is where you want to be to keep the best shape over the years, but its not going to be as plush as the standard Formula 8's....

Model 567 uses the Formula 8's as well....I've not had that one in the store.
    Duane Collie

carmela39 Guest

Duane,
    Do you have the specs on the BY sectional in terms of height, seat height, depth , seat to back height, and inside depth. We tend to like a seat that comes up behind our shoulders like the 703, the H&M Kodiak or September. Not sure if the sectional will be as deep on the inside or as high but it fits our room best...Wish I had room for two sofas but I don't. It would have to be a sofa and loveseat or sectional.
    Thanks,
    Carmela

Sure Carmela,

The 112 series sectional measure out at:

36.5" H
    40" D
    21" Seat Depth
    21" Seat Height
    15.5" Seat to Back Height

The critical measurement is the back height, which places this one at the top of the shoulders for most, but won't be high enough to rest your head on it. 39" and 40" is where you want to be to do that. B-Y's tend to sit deeper than most (as a whole) and have more back angle in comparison to say ..H&M for example.

Its pretty difficult to judge comfort from the measurements and photos. If I wanted to buy a supremely comfortable sectional, I'd probably get the H&M Journey, but we're up against an $ 8,000 price tag on that unit in a class 1 leather. That might take all the fun out of it.

I delivered the last of my Flexsteel pieces Saturday, which ware part of the Chinese-made Latitudes collection. A pair of dual recliner sofas in leather, and the customer ordered them from me based on photos on the web site. I had no experience with these units (I don't floor product made in China), but when I unpacked them last Friday, they looked great. Quality Control was way up over the last Flexsteel I'd seen in Chinese leather, and it was tailored decently. I took one for a 'test drive' before loading into the truck and was shocked. Here was a dual recliner sofa that looked great in the photos, but was one of the most uncomfortable - no make it THE most uncomfortable - motion sofa I had ever sat on. There was no head support in the recline position whatsoever, the footrest came up far too high and I was sure glad it wasn't going to my house. Who designed this???

Anyways, not to scare you off anything, but try out various pieces that you can, and if you cannot find them then rely on someone's opinion who has tried them out. Its not a good idea to buy off measurements alone, especially on a large purchase like a sectional.
    Duane Collie